Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #1
swj

no to golf cart batteries

Upgrading batteries for dry camping in National Parks. Looked at 2 six volt golf cart batteries. Talked to Trojann and they tell me RVs are not a target market for their golf cart batteries. The GCart batt need/have to be EQUALIZED once a month. Equalization is not the same as sulfacation. My charger will handle the desulfacation. Equalization is not a option on my Schumacher DSR118 charger. Or on any stand alone charger under $500. Golf courses use a software program to control charging and Equalization on the batteries. And 2-4 hours a day of generator time will not recharge the batteries, even if you use a stand alone charger off the generator.

From what I'm hearing, golf cart batteries are no go. Back to considering 2, 12V group 27 AGM batteries from Sams for $320. Any other options?
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #2

I have no experience with using 6V batteries yet.

Your sure what he said is correct?
https://shop.pkys.com/Battery-Equalization_ep_44.html

https://shop.pkys.com/Battery-Equali...cle-batteries/

Safe travels.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #3

Equalization on FLA (or AGM) batteries is not the issue with as with Lithium. Even when a cell is fully charged it will conduct charge current until other cells have reached same SOC.

Multi-stage converter chargers handle this very well as do most stand alone chargers.

Golf cart battery chargers are a whole different animal and charge profiles are designed to charge as fast as possible as well as prolong battery life. Different useage, different needs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #4

I have owned 6 volt batteries since 1972.

I can confirm they generally are more durable than car batteries.

AGM batteries do not last as long. But, are maintenance free. Better in some ways. Little advantage in an rv. Sometimes necessary for a particular location.

Were they talking to an engineer or sales person? Likely a high school graduate with a two hour training course.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Equalization on FLA (or AGM) batteries is not the issue with as with Lithium. Even when a cell is fully charged it will conduct charge current until other cells have reached same SOC.

Multi-stage converter chargers handle this very well as do most stand alone chargers.

Golf cart battery chargers are a whole different animal and charge profiles are designed to charge as fast as possible as well as prolong battery life. Different useage, different needs.
Golf cart chargers have the advantage that they are charging 6 batteries all connected in series. 36 or 48 volt. In my experience they are not nearly as intelligent as a good RV or marine "converter" such as what you find from Progressive Dynamics or the like.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
Upgrading batteries for dry camping in National Parks. Looked at 2 six volt golf cart batteries. Talked to Trojann and they tell me RVs are not a target market for their golf cart batteries. The GCart batt need/have to be EQUALIZED once a month.
My GC2 (golf cart) batteries are going strong after 9 years and they have never been equalized.
I think you were given some misinformation.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #7

I imagine 1000s if not 10s of 1000s RV owner have used 6-volt batteries with great success. I call BS.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
I imagine 1000s if not 10s of 1000s RV owner have used 6-volt batteries with great success. I call BS.
Have to agree with you. Forums typically get new members who have a gripe about something then stick around, I can't recall anyone complaining that a 2- 6V battery setup was junk compared to a 12V deep cycle.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #9

I have 2 Trojan T-105 batteries maintained with a Bogart Solar charge controller. I equalize the batteries 2-3 times a year. They have been in service for 7 years and still work great.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #10

Golf Cart Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
When we were live aboards on a sail boat I went through two sets, four batteries each set, every 10 years. Biggest issue was the monthly water check.
This was 20 years ago and there was less of me.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #11

Charging 6 or 8 or 10 GC batteries in a commercial G Cart industry usage is a WHOLE lot different then charging 2 or 4 in an RV...

I discount what the salesman said... too many sold to individuals at Sams Club and Costco that do not go to golf courses...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #12

Sure...sure, my T105's shouldn't be in an RV.

Nice brochure....

Now most RVs take maybe 2 to 6 batteries, every golf cart takes 6! Obviously the golf cart market is bigger but whoever the OP talked to has no idea what is going on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TrojanBattery_MR_brochure.pdf (6.22 MB, 280 views)

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #13

I agree that Trojan is "blowing smoke" at you. Of course RV's aren't their primary market for golf cart batteries! That's why Trojan calls them golf cart batteries. They are a true deep cycle battery. Trojan's idea of an RV battery is a marine battery, which is not actually a deep cycle battery.
Do your own research, especially about equalization.
The biggest reason to use golf cart batteries in your RV is to be able to use the top half of their capacity, rather than completely discharging 12-volt marine "dual-purpose" batteries (meaning they don't really do anything real well, imo).
Having made the switch to lithium iron phosphate batteries, I'm certain I'd never go back to lead-acid. But the cost can be a big hit to the wallet, regardless of the advantages of lifepo4. Lifepo4 has it's disadvantages too.
My advice is to get golf cart batteries or lithium batteries unless your camper will be plugged into shore power all the time.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #14

I changed the converter/charger in my RV to a 4-stage converter/charger. It is a main board replacement for the widely used WFCO converter/chargers branded as BoonDocker. It handles the equalization every month like it's supposed to. I have a Victron battery monitor and I can tell when the equalization process is taking place.

Here is the link: https://www.bestconverter.com/Boondo...rs-_c_154.html
Furrion Observation Camera
Goodyear Endurance Tires
dfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #15

No to Golf Cart Batteries

I have a 2017 Georgetown 364ts with (4) 12 volt deep cycle batteries from the factory. But I need to keep checking water levels. Would the sealed batteries work ok or is there a problem I might encounter with them? ((I am not buying the $1,000 batteries)). I have a 22.5 cubic foot Residential Frig that runs off the inverter. (( The only thing it works I believe)) Usually I am staying overnight with 50 amp hookups. But with the crowds out in the RV parks. I don't want to ruin new batteries when I get them. If I have to run generator a lot and when not plugged in like in storage and they run down! Is there something I need to be careful of? I let the water levels get pretty low and not sure how much longer these will last? Is the reason I am asking. I have three-four 2,000 trips coming up and don't want to ruin it chasing down batteries and installing while on the road. I want to be sure I get the right kind also. Thanks
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis King View Post
I have a 2017 Georgetown 364ts with (4) 12 volt deep cycle batteries from the factory. But I need to keep checking water levels. Would the sealed batteries work ok or is there a problem I might encounter with them? ((I am not buying the $1,000 batteries)). I have a 22.5 cubic foot Residential Frig that runs off the inverter. (( The only thing it works I believe)) Usually I am staying overnight with 50 amp hookups. But with the crowds out in the RV parks. I don't want to ruin new batteries when I get them. If I have to run generator a lot and when not plugged in like in storage and they run down! Is there something I need to be careful of? I let the water levels get pretty low and not sure how much longer these will last? Is the reason I am asking. I have three-four 2,000 trips coming up and don't want to ruin it chasing down batteries and installing while on the road. I want to be sure I get the right kind also. Thanks

Dennis...if the only issue is the hassle of filling and checking...I suggest you look into a filling system like flow-rite which I've used for a couple of years now. Basic idea is that battery caps are replaced with filling caps that you squeeze a bulb in distilled water bottle to perfectly fill all at once in less than 10 seconds. They make them for both 12 and 6V battery banks. Here's a link to get you started.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flow-Rite...-Kit/114907651

You don't mention a battery monitor...if you run your genny a lot...and run down the batteries with the inverter/fridge...THAT will kill your batts quicker than anything. Get yourself one of the Victron or Trimetric REAL battery monitors and don't go below 50% charge...and don't undercharge by turning off the genny before you get back to 100%.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #17
Site Team

I've had good luck with my "golf cart" batteries from Sams club.
I'm on my 2nd set but it's been over 10 years....
That phone salesman is full of baloney.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #18
D W

This situation is perplexing.... Think about it,

When is the last time you heard of a salesman steering you away from buying his product?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:31 PM   #19

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the information and there were links to 2 really good videos explaining the battery types and the pros and cons.
I LOVE THIS FORUM! The knowledge on here is humbling!
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
The GCart batt need/have to be EQUALIZED once a month. Equalization is not the same as sulfacation. My charger will handle the desulfacation. Equalization is not a option on my Schumacher DSR118 charger. Or on any stand alone charger under $500.
From what I'm hearing, golf cart batteries are no go. Back to considering 2, 12V group 27 AGM batteries from Sams for $320. Any other options?
EDIT OOPS...I read your post as wanting SIX 6V batteries somehow. Ive adjusted by comments below as needed. Sorry for any confusion.
Group 27AGM's solve nothing.
2 golf carts make over 220 amp hours in your bank. You NEED a charger that can minimize the time it takes to put half of that back in since you never want to go below 50% if you don't have to. Your battery bank would still ACCEPT up to 50amps charging current so your BIGGEST problem with the schumaker is it is not capable of charging ANY bank that big efficiently. A 45 to 55amp charger CAN do so in 6 hours if it is a 3 stage and WIRED to deliver that current.

As to your claims that batts need to be EQ'd monthly if GC... is not true for general deep cycle use. Hi Level EQ (15+V) is ONLY needed if you begin to see a loss of capacity which should not be needed with modern 4 stage chargers/converters. What CAUSES sulfation is UNDERCHARGING and extended storage at less than 50% or so...as the ACID/Water mix will separate leading to crystallization of lead sulfate on the battery plates. Regular low level EQ restores the mix and prevent sulfation and the need for hi level EQ.

{As an aside...this is why I like to fully charge then store my batts outside in the coach with the negative disconnected for the winter RATHER than rely on a trickle charger which does NOT stir up the mix enough to prevent stratification. I'd rather let the batts self discharge to 60% then hit them with a full bulk charge every few months to keep things well mixed. Either way is better than removing to a garage or basement IMO. }

MOST quality chargers/converters today have a 4th stage which provides low level EQ at preset times. (Once a week when on float cycle for example)
Progressive has this. So does Iota. You can get a 30amp REAL converter with 4 stage EQ module for $150 bucks. Larger sizes up to 55 amps are available with different modules ($20) to let you adapt any of their DLS chargers for AGM or Lithium or LARGE banks or quickest charging ...all under 200 bucks. This may be of interest if you are on a limited budget or don't know where you'll end up. Both companies make excellent products that provide the NECESSARY EQ for far less than $500 bucks in a REAL converter...and not the Schumacher unit which is not designed for charging a big bank or dealing with deep cycle battery BANKS.

Don't forget the battery monitor either if you get a big bank.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries