Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #1

Nobo 10.5 / 6 Solar

I'm relatively new to my 10.5 Nobo and looking to add solar. I plan to mount my solar panels on the roof and connect the wires to the outlet on the side of the trailer when parked. I've been scouring the forums and haven't found any posts that explain how to connect up the charge controller using the existing port / wiring.

Does the port on the side have pig tails somewhere near the battery that I can connect up to my charge controller? I took the cover off the wiring near the solar port and see the wires go down under the trailer, just not sure where they go. I haven't taken off the bottom plating on the underside of the trailer yet to see where they go, and was hoping someone here had experience adding solar to their 10.5 or 10.6 using the solar prep from the factory.
Lvl3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #2

Solar

I answered my own question. I had some time to kill so I went out and crawled under my trailer, took off the access panel near the drivers side front. The positive wire from the solar port terminates on a lug and the negative goes straight to the battery. I plan to put 2x 100w panels on the rhino rack cross bars and put my charge controller right near the port on the back wall of the trailer. I'll also be running heavier wires to the battery. It'll be a bit before I do the install as i have to order the panels but i'll try to take some pics to document it while in the process.
Lvl3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvl3mp View Post
I answered my own question. I had some time to kill so I went out and crawled under my trailer, took off the access panel near the drivers side front. The positive wire from the solar port terminates on a lug and the negative goes straight to the battery. I plan to put 2x 100w panels on the rhino rack cross bars and put my charge controller right near the port on the back wall of the trailer. I'll also be running heavier wires to the battery. It'll be a bit before I do the install as i have to order the panels but i'll try to take some pics to document it while in the process.
Please post pictures and tips on your install. I had the same idea to use the rhino rack to mount to since I have no plans on putting anything else on the roof.

Tags
solar