Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2022, 02:14 PM   #1

Non gcfi outlets stopped working

Hello everyone,
New to the forum. I recently bought a 2019 Georgetown gt5.. it's a class A.. Many of my outlets suddenly quit working.. after investigating I realized it was only my NON gcfi outlets that stopped working. To reiterate, all of my gcfi outlets currently work.. There are no tripped breakers and I am at a loss as to where to start looking. I know most outlets in a home are "daisy chained" or "piggy backed" which could mean if one outlet hasa loose connection it could be affecting the others in that chain. I'm an industrial electrician by trade so this type of work is in my wheel house, however I'm not a residential electrician so some residential practices are a bit foreign.. with all of that said, how can I find an electrical drawing of my vehicle? Or has anyone experienced this same issue and could pass along some advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated..
RossNSheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think electrical diagrams of your rig exist, but you could check with Georgetown. Usually these things are daisy chained and one GFI takes out several outlets. Are your lights that operate on the battery working? I'm assuming you've checked the fuses.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Do you remember what items were operating when the problem occurred. Most RV outlets use an insulation piercing connection as opposed to screw terminals used in homes. These are quick and easy to install, however if the downstream load is abnormally high, it is easy to burn a connection and create an open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110vac-receptacle.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	275899  

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #4

I don't have any blown fuses, however I don't see any power to the fuse panel that is located right next to my breaker panel.. any idea what feeds that panel? everything prior to this issue worked but it seems that anything plugged into a non GFCI outlet no longer has power..my power sofa (heat, massage, recline, etc) TV's had power, all outlets in living spaces had power at one time but no longer have power.. the fuse panel seems to be suspect but I don't know what feeds it
Old 07-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #5

To clarify . I used an ohmmeter to check the fuses, however I couldn't find power present on any fuses with a voltmeter... I'm a newbie to RV electrical so I'm sure once I get a basic understanding I'll be just fine.. is this fuse panel AC or DC? I'm assuming AC since it has fuses for living space outlets.. but what's throwing me off are these fuses are what I'd typically see in an automobile
Old 07-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #6

Quick answer at least in my case is a tripped breaker. In yours if you are running an inverter something could have tripped on it. Finding the inverter would be the next task.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #7

Awesome.. I'm going to look at the inverter now..thank you
Old 07-03-2022, 04:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossNSheena View Post
I don't have any blown fuses, however I don't see any power to the fuse panel that is located right next to my breaker panel.. any idea what feeds that panel? everything prior to this issue worked but it seems that anything plugged into a non GFCI outlet no longer has power..my power sofa (heat, massage, recline, etc) TV's had power, all outlets in living spaces had power at one time but no longer have power.. the fuse panel seems to be suspect but I don't know what feeds it
Fuses have nothing to do with the 110v AC side. Just breakers.
Fuses are only for the 12v DC side.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:07 PM   #9

Thank you Dan.. I was just reading thru documents on the electrical.. so all I can come up with at this point is that something is loose or disconnected in the chain. I once assumed a breaker had tripped or maybe a gcfi outlet was tripped however those aren't the cases.. so I'm left with a possible loose connection.. an electrical print would be great right about now.. lol. Thanks for all the help
Old 07-03-2022, 04:49 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossNSheena View Post
Thank you Dan.. I was just reading thru documents on the electrical.. so all I can come up with at this point is that something is loose or disconnected in the chain. I once assumed a breaker had tripped or maybe a gcfi outlet was tripped however those aren't the cases.. so I'm left with a possible loose connection.. an electrical print would be great right about now.. lol. Thanks for all the help
Since you have a Georgetown and you want an electrical diagram, I suggest moving your thread to the Georgetown sub-forum. That way some of FR's reps from the Motorized divisions might view it. That's your best chance of getting some of those diagrams.
The Motorized divisions have been the only part of FR corporate, that have provided owners of such things.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #11
Site Team

Please clarify non-GFCI outlets. In RVs there are usually 1-2 master GFCI outlets and multiple GFCI protected standard outlets down stream. Other than major appliances like ACs, fridge, etc most outlets are GFCI protected. Are you certain you don't have a tripped outlet in the chain of non-working outlets.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #12

Hi flybob.. I'm learning on the fly here.. so. Some of my outlets are labeled gcfi.. and some are not labeled. Only one outlet near my door has the test and reset buttons on it.. so I may be unfairly calling the non labeled outlets non GFCI.. the labels may have fallen off.. strangely enough all of the outlets with labels are working and all of the non labeled outlets are not working. This could be merely coincidence but that's what I have found so far.. if there is another outlet on this coach with test and reset buttons I haven't been able to find it. It's neither in a bathroom nor in an outdoor compartment.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #13
NXR

On a GT5 the non-GFCI breakers are the only ones powered by the inverter when on batteries only. The GFCI breakers are not powered by the inverter.

The outlets powered by the inverter must have their wiring run through the inverter even when the inverter is not in use. As TacomaJoe noted, often there is a circuit breaker on the inverter itself and if that breaker trips that will kill all of the non-GFCI outlets.

But you did not note your exact model of Georgetown and it's not listed in your profile. We just know that it's a 2018. The inverter on our 34H5 is in the rear electrical bay. The inverter on a 36B5 (bunk bed model) is behind a panel under the kitchen sink.

There also are separate breakers for GFCI outlets and non-GFCI outlets on ours. Have you located your breaker panel and assured no breakers are tripped? The location of the breaker panel depends on your exact model.

Someone over here probably can tell you where your inverter is once you know the exact model: https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f16/

Ray
Old 07-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #14

There is almost always a resettable gfci in the bathroom or other areas close to water sources..
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #15

I had a plug stop working. A wire came lose in another outlet that it was daisy-chained to.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:07 PM   #16

Thank you all for the help.. sorry that I haven't fully updated my profile.. I most certainly will do that soon. I have a 36b5.. the bunk model.. I'll be checking on the inverter breaker. Thank you all again for the assistance
Old 07-03-2022, 06:16 PM   #17
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossNSheena
Thank you all for the help.. sorry that I haven't fully updated my profile.. I most certainly will do that soon. I have a 36b5.. the bunk model.. I'll be checking on the inverter breaker. Thank you all again for the assistance
Mine's a 2020 and I have a Xantrex Freedom XI inverter. It does not appear to have a breaker on it that I could see.

Do you have the remote inverter panel, the little rectangular job? I think it's by your entry door. If so, is there any chance it's showing 0.0 volts?

If it is showing 0.0, open the first compartment to the left of the entry door outside, where the house batteries are. Look straight in at the back "wall". There are a couple of high current breakers on that wall but they do not look like regular circuit breakers.

If one has a "flag" sticking out at about a 40 degree angle that breaker is tripped. Push the flag back in to reset it. One breaker is for the inverter. I think the other is for the jacks.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaker, flag tripped.PNG
Views:	55
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	275900  
Old 07-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #18
NXR

BTW, if you click on User CP at the top left on the top light green bar, scroll down to Edit Signature.

You can enter your year and model in there and click Save Signature at the bottom. That's how I get my motorhome details to show up on every post.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 07-03-2022, 06:30 PM   #19

Ray it sounds like we have the same equipment..the battery compartment outside has those exact breakers . Neither was tripped and my freedom xi panel by the entry steps reads 12.3
Old 07-03-2022, 06:38 PM   #20
NXR

Wait, what? Only 12.3 volts DC? That indicates you're probably running on batteries only?

Are you plugged into shore power or running on generator or what?

There is an internal automatic transfer switch (ATS) in the inverter, a.k.a. "a relay". That ATS is what bypasses the inverter when you are running on either shore power or on generator power.

You can use the manuals I attached and your multimeter to see if you've got AC power where it belongs.

Are both of your air conditioners actually working? Not the thermostats because those run on 12 volts DC. When you turn them both on does the fan come on in each roof unit?

The roof units run on 120 VAC, one from each leg of shore power or each from one leg of the generator.

Ray