Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #1

Not all Power Sierra 345RET

SIERRA 2012 345RET Fifth Wheel
Opened RV after two winters. Slides work. Front A/C unit works. Area lights of Kitchen counters and seating work. But not the power outlets or ceiling fan light.
Replaced all panel fuses and plugged in battery, but still no power to outlets.

What do we check next???
pistolesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #2

You say you replaced all panel fuses but the outlets are 110 volt and protected by the circuit breakers. If you didn’t already, try resetting all the circuit breakers by physically flipping them to off and then back on.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #3

Tried that. FYI, the tv and microwave are also not functioning.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

You say 2 winters? I think you may have had a few visitor's who have chewed up some wiring .Then again check your ground fault interrupters,and loose wires on back of breaker panel
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #5

Thank you. We'll check behind the panel.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #6

We checked behind the panel this morning, thanks. Found no issues there either though.
Any other thoughts?
Old 07-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
Site Team

I assume you have a 50a trailer since you mentioned FRONT A/C. Use your multi-meter and check both legs in your power pedestal. Half (one leg) of your power source might have failed. I've seen one leg of a 50a breaker fail. DON'T electrocute yourself!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #8

50amp, yes. Thanks for the contribution. But now need to wait for return visit by daughter and son-in-law, when he'll bring screw bits which will fit those securing the breaker. (Thank goodness we're not planning a trip.)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolesi View Post
SIERRA 2012 345RET Fifth Wheel
Opened RV after two winters. Slides work. Front A/C unit works. Area lights of Kitchen counters and seating work. But not the power outlets or ceiling fan light.
Replaced all panel fuses and plugged in battery, but still no power to outlets.

What do we check next???
Sounds like you're having the same problem I'm having on my 2018 bought in April. Out twice and now dead in my driveway. 9 outlets dead. Only one's working are the 3 on the GFCI circuit. Right now I'm thinking there is a neutral broken somewhere in an outlet or hidden junction box in ceiling or wall. I have no continuity between ground and neutral at any of the dead outlets.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #10

When we called the Service Dept, the first response by the technician was that, with an RV as large as ours, there's two outlets with the red reset button, one in the kitchen area and one up in the bedroom. I had only recalled one, in the bathroom.

Curious, hubby and I looked yesterday. Only found the one in the bathroom.

Today, I'll be vacuuming using an extension cord plugged into our portable generator. I'll bring a small plugin lamp to thoroughly check the outlets.

FYI, TheWolfPaq82, this is the very first time this has occurred. Our RV has been great otherwise. Our "issue" has been the truck ... goes into "cripple" mode when we take it on the road. Cannot take it to RV service 'til we get a new after-market turbine, with bearings, installed.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #11

Quote:
When we called the Service Dept, the first response by the technician was that, with an RV as large as ours, there's two outlets with the red reset button, one in the kitchen area and one up in the bedroom. I had only recalled one, in the bathroom.

Curious, hubby and I looked yesterday. Only found the one in the bathroom.

Today, I'll be vacuuming using an extension cord plugged into our portable generator. I'll bring a small plugin lamp to thoroughly check the outlets.

FYI, TheWolfPaq82, this is the very first time this has occurred. Our RV has been great otherwise. Our "issue" has been the truck ... goes into "cripple" mode when we take it on the road. Cannot take it to RV service 'til we get a new after-market turbine, with bearings, installed.
I'm sure that's the standard reply from all service depts, and probably true in a lot of cases. I had a extremely hard time explaining to the tech that the GFCI circuit was the only one working...One circuit...Three outlets...they work and he just kept telling me to RESET, RESET, RESET the GFCI...which has never tripped. Spoke with a tech from Precision Controls...they make power control system for a lot of the FR TT's. He couldn't believe that FR was chaining so many outlets on the PCS circuit. It's designed to handle the power of individual circuits...like the "Refrigerator." When the PCS sheds power to that circuit, it's actually shedding power to 9 outlets. I've already checked the PCS system and it's functioning fine.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #12

Hooray!!! All is working today!!!!
Thanks all for brainstorming with me!!!
Hugs, sandy
Old 07-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #13

Glad all is working well now. Please share what the problem was so others may learn
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Hooray!!! All is working today!!!!
Thanks all for brainstorming with me!!!
Hugs, sandy
Well don't leave us in suspense! What was the problem?
(Glad you got it fixed!)

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #15

When we first opened the RV, the seating, kitchen under- counter lights worked, the Master Bedroom A/C worked. The outlets throughout the RV did not work, nor did the TV/radio entertainment center, fireplace, bathroom reset outlet button, bath fan, bedroom light, or ceiling fan in livingroom/kitchen work.
(1) As the 2012 Sierra 345RET had been standing thru 2 winters, we first replaced all the fuses.
(2) Son-in-law, Don, discovered the battery in the forward compartment under the hitch was unplugged; plugged it in.
(3) Hubby, Joe, discovered debris in the main power outlet on the RV wherein the generator was plugged. This morning, he cleared the debris from that outlet and achieved a tighter connection.
(4) When rechecking the fuse panel, he found the main circuit switch was down. He flipped it three times. The third time, the switch locjed properly in place and everything came on throughout. (I tested every outlet with a small lamp to be sure.)
(The only item I could not turn on was the bath's ceiling fan. We'll recheck that tomorrow.)
Sandy

Tags
2012 345ret fifth wheel, power, sierra