Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Not charging off engine or generator, help. . .

I have a 2011 Sunseeker 2450. I recently had an issue with the house batteries not charging. Went through trying to trouble shoot the problem, was thinking it may be the power converter or the solenoid switch. I tried replacing the house batteries (still under warranty with Costco so no cost), and the solenoid. I have found that the converter is charging the house batteries fine so not the converter. We went on a long drive and found the engine is not charging the house batteries, along with the generator as well. Any thoughts? Im thinking it might be the isolator? If so, does anyone know the brand and location of it? Thanks in advance.
willp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with your unit, but this thread might help.....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lay-48457.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #3

Normally, the Bi-directional Relay Delay (BIRD) will energize the isolation relay to connect the coach and chassis batteries when either the coach system (from the shore line through the convertor) or the chassis system (from the alternator) is charging.

There has been at least one thread in this forum concerning the chassis alternator not charging the house batteries when driving. One turned out to be a bad wire or connection in the circuit that sends chassis voltage to the coach’s Battery Control Center. The orange wire at the connector on the (BIRD) is the one to check. The Ford chassis energizes this wire only when the engine is running, not just when the ignition switch is turned on.

I’ve attached the product information sheet on the BIRD which explains its operation. Note the voltages at which the BIRD energizes or drops out the relay. Check the part number on yours to be sure it’s the same as the one in the data sheet. The Sunseeker is not wired quite like the diagram illustrates. It does not have a chassis disconnect relay and it has a manual disconnect switch for the coach batteries instead of the coach disconnect relay. The company just happens to sell the relays. The tan “AUX” wire on the BIRD connector comes from the emergency start switch that is mounted on the side of the driver’s seat.

To help troubleshoot this same problem with this system, I bought a digital voltmeter that plugs into a power outlet on the coach where I can see it while driving. In addition to the digital display, it has a few lights that tell the approximate voltage reading. I can glance at it from the driver’s seat and see if the chassis system is charging the coach system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Intellitec BIRD Datasheet 00-01000-000.pdf (753.5 KB, 91 views)
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #4

Thanks for all the info, very detailed just what I needed! Hopefully I can narrow this down now. I'll update as soon as I get up to where I have it stored.
willp07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, generator