Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #1

Not for cold weather

I bought this for generator worked fine all year long. But in the back of my mind, I wondered about cold weather got down to 26 last night I put the gen out so it would be cold this battery has a 0c shut down bms no start it got up to 50 today gen started up fine so cold weather below 0c is a no no for this battery anyway heads up. Not For cold weather camping https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Interesting that they 'claim' in the listing it can be used for a snowmobile!
Not if it shuts down at 32ºF.

Good to know, thanks for posting.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
D W

More garbage, straight out of Shanghai.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Interesting that they 'claim' in the listing it can be used for a snowmobile!
Not if it shuts down at 32ºF.

Good to know, thanks for posting.
My guess is engine keeps it warm, but I wouldn't want to camp out and it get cold, and snowmobile not start until above 0c out. I guess that is why they have a pull start.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:12 PM   #5

I keep my generator in the back of my truck under a canopy when I use it. The trailer power cord reaches it in place. No moving it around and it is quieter. It provides some weather protection. You could build a simple plywood box with insulation in it to slip over your generator.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
I keep my generator in the back of my truck under a canopy when I use it. The trailer power cord reaches it in place. No moving it around and it is quieter. It provides some weather protection. You could build a simple plywood box with insulation in it to slip over your generator.
If it's below 32 out it's below 32 in the back of your truck you would have to heat it. Yes, I use mine out of truck when we are moving the next day but camping, I secure it to a tree or camper axle with cable. But they could still cut the lock they just have to work at it also locked in truck bed. Abox would defeat the remote start.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
I bought this for generator worked fine all year long. But in the back of my mind, I wondered about cold weather got down to 26 last night I put the gen out so it would be cold this battery has a 0c shut down bms no start it got up to 50 today gen started up fine so cold weather below 0c is a no no for this battery anyway heads up. Not For cold weather camping https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A good BMS will have a cold charging cutoff set to 32 deg F. It will allow discharge down to 10 deg F.

This battery's specs baffle me. There isn't an affordable BMS that can handle 300A. And for that price, not sure how they can even include a BMS.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
A good BMS will have a cold charging cutoff set to 32 deg F. It will allow discharge down to 10 deg F.

This battery's specs baffle me. There isn't an affordable BMS that can handle 300A. And for that price, not sure how they can even include a BMS.
I agree but it has to have something that shuts it down. If it goes bad, I may have to open it up and see what is in there. Who said it was a good BMS.I didn't read anything about temp charging control? All I know is if I want to use gen in cold weather I will have to go back to la battery.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:55 AM   #9

Notice it is not an lifepo4 battery. I would not want a lithium ion in anything but a cell phone or laptop.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #10

using that type battery in motorcycles they say you have to hit electric start for a second, and repeat a couple times. this actually heated the battery inside.

After a couple of these "pre heats" it would start the motorcycle.

I had one on an offload racing bike, and it was short lived. gave me problems from day one. So I replaced it with a walmart AGM and never had another problem.

I guess the AGM weighed 3 extra lbs.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
using that type battery in motorcycles they say you have to hit electric start for a second, and repeat a couple times. this actually heated the battery inside.

I had one on an offload racing bike, and it was short lived. gave me problems from day one. So I replaced it with a walmart AGM and never had another problem.

tow pro I tried to start it three times no go once it warm up outside gen started fine thanks for info but didn't work. I Just know that in wintertime need lead acid battery or agm or wait for temp to come up to start gen I'm just glad I tried it at home not camping so I know what to expect from that battery. I guess three out of four not bad I can use it spring, summer and fall but not winter.LOL
Old 12-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
If you have the time can you please post a picture or two of your generator in the back of your truck and the canopy. I'm getting two old to be drawing mine out of the truck. Thanks in advance.
Giboneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #13

Yes I just purchased generator as well and was thinking of doing that exact same thing I would love to see a picture and do you have it bolted to the bed of your truck so they can't steal it
CampinGpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinGpa View Post
Yes I just purchased generator as well and was thinking of doing that exact same thing I would love to see a picture and do you have it bolted to the bed of your truck so they can't steal it
I use a 6500W Honda inverter generator, so it stays in the truck. I have a ladder rack, so a blue tarp stretched over the top protects from rain when needed. TT cord reaches the generator.
I used to roll it up on a pair of ramps, still a struggle.
No problem loading it now, takes 5 minutes:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hunting-and...10-VMH001.html
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post

They really make poor starting batteries. I had that exact experience.