Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by techntrek View Post
The goal isn't to get it back up to 100% every day when you are off the grid.
If you only camp a couple of weeks of the year and have to rely on your TV for charging while dry camping... and you're okay with a disposable battery every few seasons, then yes. That would be true.

A lot of folks camp that way, it keeps initial out of pocket expenses to a minimum and frees you up from having to worry about soc's. "Footloose and fancy free"! There's nothing wrong with that approach at all.

The info and suggestions people have been offering are simply so the OP can make an informed decision about how they want to approach their power needs. Only the OP can decide which is they best fit for them.

Just sayin... Most importantly
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
If you only camp a couple of weeks of the year and have to rely on your TV for charging while dry camping... and you're okay with a disposable battery every few seasons, then yes. That would be true.
Only talking 3-4 days so no problem for the OP's battery.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #23

Just throwing my 2 cents in...just got back from boondocking for 4 days in an Apex 189FBS. I have a stage 27 Interstate SRM-27 single battery. I would have dearly loved to have a second battery. My amp load lasted only a day and a half before had to hook up the solar charger. And the 2nd day was cloudy and rainy, so really almost got to 60% before I could get the charge back up on the 3rd day. ( I did bring my lifan genie just in case, but never needed it.) Could I have lived without the second battery, sure..but second battery and I coulda been sippin' my beer instead of messing with charging!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #24
Site Team

I got to say that this thread is pretty good thanks to all of the feedback provided on the various options. Like the OP I wanted to be able to do a limited amount of dry camping. This discussion could had saved me a lot of time & effort back then in deciding which option would be best for me.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #25

This thread is very close to my situation. My trailer is a Shamrock 21DK with the standard dealer-supplied Group 24 marine battery. Like the OP I hope to camp for 3-5 day stints in national parks but otherwise will have power.

In addition to the usual 12V consumption, which I can regulate, my wife and I both use CPAP to sleep. Having read posts by other users, I'm confident that will work but I have to convince the wife. For that reason, and because I can justify it during extended power failures during storm season in Florida, I plan to go the small generator route.

Because I want to be certain I won't drain my battery overnight, I'm considering a second battery. Is that overkill? I'd also rather not have to charge every day if that's avoidable without risking damage to the battery.

Thanks for your insights.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Because I want to be certain I won't drain my battery overnight, I'm considering a second battery. Is that overkill? I'd also rather not have to charge every day if that's avoidable without risking damage to the battery.

Thanks for your insights.
With your CPAP's I would definitely consider a second battery. If your units are not already equipped, and it's not too cost prohibitive, you might look into a 12v adapter... but even without, you should make it just fine with a dual battery bank if you want to keep recharging to a minimum. With a small portable genny as well, then all of your bases are covered.

I don't believe it is overkill when you will have a fairly substantial daily fixed load on your bank. Especially if you don't want to skimp on some of your other creature comforts (coffee pot, skillet, television, etc).
Old 03-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #27

Actually, having found a very informative thread elsewhere on battery backup for CPAP at home, I'm thinking I can justify a couple of 6 volts stored in my bedroom at home. Those could serve as the primary batteries on my camper.

Keeping them in my bedroom, plugged in, assures me that they'll stay charged. I can also run the CPAP off them continuously to as a sort of UPS. (A recent power failure at night educated us to need for power backup.)

The downside would be lugging them back and forth to the camper but I camp less than I'd like to, so that's not too often.

I'll still need a generator for recharges, and to address the potential for extended power failures at home.

As for other creature comforts, we've got that covered with propane. We can boil water for coffee and have a Melitta filter that makes good coffee when you start with good coffee grounds. We can live without the microwave and don't watch much TV. Card games require little power except lights, and those are all LEDs. The water pump and unavoidable parasitic draws are still there, though.

The only thing we'll lack is AC. I'm looking into the potential for a 2000W genny running my 13.5K BTU A/C with a starter capacitor and fan delay, but I'm not basing my generator purchase decision on whether or not that works.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #28

Quote:
I'm thinking I can justify a couple of 6 volts stored in my bedroom at home.
You would just want to ensure that you are using AGM's in that type of application, which will cost a pretty penny more than wet cells, or storing them in a well ventilated area (preferably outdoors) and running a line into the bedroom.

I am not terribly familiar with CPAP's, but my concern would be about operating them in close proximity to off-gassing wet cell batteries. Could be a non issue, but I would want to 'know before I go'.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #29

Thanks for your consideration of safety. Proximity to CPAPs don't pose any more of a risk than simply storing the batteries in my bedroom. Perhaps that's not zero risk, but the CPAP doesn't add to it. I'll explore that question further.

I want the home backup system to be always-on. I don't want to have to mess with getting it hooked up during a power failure overnight, with no lights. My bedroom opens onto our covered porch by way of French doors. I may be able to work something out that way but that requires more than 20' of conductors. If I understand DC correctly, distance is not a good thing.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:16 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for your consideration of safety. Proximity to CPAPs don't pose any more of a risk than simply storing the batteries in my bedroom. Perhaps that's not zero risk, but the CPAP doesn't add to it. I'll explore that question further.

I want the home backup system to be always-on. I don't want to have to mess with getting it hooked up during a power failure overnight, with no lights. My bedroom opens onto our covered porch by way of French doors. I may be able to work something out that way but that requires more than 20' of conductors. If I understand DC correctly, distance is not a good thing.

If your home use is critical to be always on, which I could see with a CPAP, you might want to look into a more permanent solution at home. I know up here Home Depot sells these natural gas generators that wire directly into the home. Supposedly they'll automatically kick on in the event of a power failure and since they run off the home's natural gas they're supposed to basically set and forget. No need to fuel.

Ah, here we are. Found a link to them:

http://www.generac.com/for-homeowners/home-backup-power

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-13-2015, 06:43 AM   #31

Thanks but, while CPAP is critical to my comfort and marital bliss, it's not critical to my survival. To some, it may be; to us, it's not.

My goal is not spending that much and to help justify the cost of batteries for the trailer while I'm at it.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #32
Site Team

Have you tried carrying 6v battey(s)??
They are HEAVY!!
I purchased my 2 at Sam's club and they don't have handles.
They do have a little tab on each end of the top for a handle of some
sort but do not come with handles.
I threaded an old extension cord thru and tied in an ugly knot just to
pick them up and place them in my new battery boxes on my trailer.

Did I mention they are HEAVY???

Oh yeah, they are taller than 12v so you'll probably need 2 new battery
boxes specifically for 6 v.
I recommend gel cel for your cpap machine and that's been discussed here
in depth.
I personally would NOT want lead/acid batteries in my living space!!
Plus my house the bedroom is on the 2nd floor.
I wouldn't ever want to carry 2 golf cart batteries up to our bedroom.
Remember they're heavy!! I'm just sayin.....
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-42
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #33

I just saw that Harbor Freight has a 700 watt rv generator on sale for $88! Probably not the highest quality and noisy but $88 is pretty crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #34
Site Team

I had a 700 watt 2cycle genny for a short time.
It would easily power a stand alone 25 amp charger but it was
about as noisy as a weed whacker running at full throttle for up to 2 hours it
took to charge my batteries.
Even tho I was in a camp ground with allowed generator hours every one
who drove/bicycled/walked by looked long and hard toward my site.
I gave it to my son for emergency freezer duty during ice events.
He used it one time.
During an ice storm most folks are using generators and most are inside
trying to keep warm with windows shut.

In a campground folks are out and about and windows are often open.
If you have to speak loudly to be heard over your genny, it's too loud.
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-42
Old 03-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #35

I know that it's too loud for a campground but for 88 bucks the gadget crazy part of me wants one! I am trying to hold off and get a Honda which would be more useful in the long run.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #36
Site Team

I thought mine was OK except for the noise.
I mulled the idea over about trying to cobble a large muffler onto it
but I didn't try it.
Someone who tinkers with dirt bikes or small engines could make it quieter
I'm sure. I just didn't try it. It was annoyingly loud in my backyard and we
live in the burbs where lots are 1-3 acres each! It was still too loud for me.
It sipped gas and was reasonably light weight..... it would run my son's small chest freezer and he could even watch TV once the freezer compressor started.
Blue Ox WD hitch

Tags
camping, cat