Old 07-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #1

Question OK What's Happening - shocking!

Had interesting experience today. Was up on an aluminum ladder today cleaning out my rain gutters. Was using my finger to drag along bottom to clear some maple keys. Started getting a tingle in my finger. At first I thought it was a nerve twitching. Stopped as soon as I withdrew my finger. Came back once I touched the gutter again. Took several seconds to realize I was getting an electrical shock. Only minor as only affected my finger tip where touching. I took my other hand off the ladder and shock stopped. Grass was damp from earlier drizzle. Anyone have a similar experience or could someone possibly explain where the small electric potential might be coming from.
Holmes2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You have what is referred to as a "Hot-Skin" condition.

Unplug your R/V immediately from whatever it is plugged into currently. A larger amount of that "tingling" can be deadly!

This is caused by a miswired electrical supply circuit/dogbone adapter, miswired R/V outlet, poor connections, using an extension cord with the ground pin/wire broken or by using a ground lift adapter.

How are you connected to shore power?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #3

I'm assuming you Trailer is plugged into shore power:

You maybe experiencing what is known as "Hot Skin" when you get shocked by touching metal on the inside and outside of your RV.

These electrical shocks can be caused by a reversed polarity problem in the electric receptacle that your RV is plugged into, a polarity problem in the extension cord you are using to plug in your RV or to a shorted wire somewhere in your RV's electrical system. This problem can also be caused by an improper ground in the receptacle, extension cord or in the RV.

I experienced the same issue when I had a 30AMP receptacle installed when I had a new house built it was reverse polarity condition my EMS detected it when I plugged the trailer in the first time the hot lead and neutral were reversed causing the condition.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #4

Absolutely UNPLUG THAT UNIT ! The ground is gone or something is really wrong with the outlet or wire .
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #5

Additional info ...
Trailer is plugged into 15 amp circuit thru extension cord at home. Trailer is 50 amp equipped so use a 50 to 30 adapter and then a 30 to 15 adapter. Following are steps I have checked.

1) used receptacle tester on end of extension cord and all showed good. No open grnd.

2)checked 3 receptacles in trailer and all showed "open grnd".

3) with the 2 adapters plugged in I checked continuity between the grnd lug and frame and there was continuity.

4)checked continuity between grnd lug on one outside trailer receptacle and stair frame and it was good. This was one of the receptacles that shows "open Grnd".

Need help now to establish next trouble shooting step, and would appreciate any further suggestions as to what could be causing this problem.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #6
Site Team

It's going to be a safety ground problem. We keep a sticky thread on the hot chassis condition from our member Mike Sokol who is the de facto expert on this.

Herk, had this problem one time, and with Mike's help was able to find a loose ground where his 50 amp cord attached to his RV inlet. It was in the inlet itself

I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
llr

Probably a bad ground since it is just a tingle, a mis-wire would be buch more
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
Site Team

Here is the sticky from Mike that we keep at the top of the electric subforum.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-rv-89191.html

Old 07-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #9

All of my receptacles show open grnd. Will one bad one cause all to show that or must it be the main ground from inlet receptacle to control board? I tightened grnd at back of inlet receptacle with no difference.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
Head Rambler

The way some of these RV's are wired all (or almost all) of the receptacles are daisy chained together so the loose ground could be at the first one in the chain and it would affect all the rest.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #11

I had the same thing, (a little more than a tingle!) I was using an extension cord with the ground pin/wire broken that I didn't know about!
Old 07-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
TGR

Do all the testing recommended below without supplying power to the trailer. Iím making the assumption that none of your 120 VAC outlets, including the GFCI outlet, have a proper ground as indicated by your tester.

With your extension cord disconnected from house power and your 50 amp cord disconnected from the trailer, check your cords and adapters by measuring for continuity from your extension cordís male ground to the ground tab on your RVís 50 amp power cord where it would plug into your trailer.

Next, check for continuity from the trailerís input power plug ground to your power distribution centerís ground. The easiest way to do that would be to plug your trailerís power cord into the trailer with the adapters and extension cord as you normally use them but leave the extension cord disconnected from the house power. Instead, bring the extension cordís male plug over to the power distribution center. You should be able to measure continuity from the extension cordís ground to the power distribution centerís ground. This would check your trailerís internal wiring to the power distribution center along with the previously tested cords and adapters. While at the power distribution center, check the ground wires and ensure everything is connected and tight.

Next, pull each of your 120 VAC outlets and make sure the ground connections are tight and nothing is broken. Start at your GFCI since that is the first outlet in the chain of outlets.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes2016 View Post
All of my receptacles show open grnd. Will one bad one cause all to show that or must it be the main ground from inlet receptacle to control board? I tightened grnd at back of inlet receptacle with no difference.
Did you test the connection on your house?
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:45 AM   #14

Like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I have the problem solved but still not 100% sure why I had the problem in the first place. Special thanks to TGR for his trouble shooting plan. Turns out I had to get a longer extension cord to reach all receptacles in the trailer. When I got the new extension I just thought I would try it instead of the one I was using, and voila! I had grnd at all receptacles. Here is the confusing part The original extension checked out fine with both my receptacle tester when powered up, and with continuity test unplugged. Trailer is good, but I will work with that extension cord more just to satisfy my own curiousity. Thanks again all!
Old 07-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #15
Site Team

Fantastic to hear. If you will watch the video in the hot chassis link I previously provided, Our resident guru Mike Sokol, shows how to use a non contact voltage detector for things like this. As cheap and easy to use as they are, it's an easy thing to add to the RV toolkit.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #16

Thank you wmtire. I did watch the video, and have used one of those tools Mike is demonstrating. It will tell you if you have a "hot skin" condition, but won't help trouble shoot the problem, unless I missed something. It is probably a good idea to test your unit when plugging in to unknown power sources. I have used this extension cord for probably 10 years without an issue, and now all of a sudden something in the circuit has changed. As I said before this extension checked out OK with my receptacle tester, and with my ohm meter. I am thinking the ground lug at the end plugged into the house, which hasn't been moved in several years may have developed some sort of corrosion on it. Just a thought. I am happy trailer is good, but still not 100% sure why it happened. This is a great forum and allows us to communicate with knowledgeable members. Happy Camping All!
Old 08-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #17

Happened to me last year. Turns out the water heater element had shorted out inside the tank. Took a while to trace down, but luckily an easy fix.
BlueDeuce2 is offline   Reply With Quote