Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #1

Onan 4000 Microlite valve adjustment by Cummins feedback

My genset has 650 hours in it. Runs great and I have always changed the oil, air filter, and spark plug annually.

The manual says to check and adjust valve lash at 450 hours. Cummins Power wants $500 to service it, removal from MH is required, and they will do the annual service too.

Has anyone had Cummins do this service and what kind of experience did you have?

I have taken good care of this MH and just invested in many upgrades, and dont plan on buying another one. I dont want to have to replace the genset either and want it to last, although admittedly this service is overdue.

2006 Sunseeker 2860DS with 52,000 miles.

Thanks
Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #2

if this check requires removal of the unit and other maintenance would be done to it also for $500 that does not seem unreasonable to me given you have used it over 13 years so the cost is about $38 dollars a year for a piece of equipment that is needed.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #3

Seadog,
Thanks for the reply. The cost, to your point, is ok with me.

Do you or does anyone have any experience with using Cummins Power for generator service, especially the valve lash check and adjustment?

On one hand, it's normal recommended service. But above and beyond normal oil, air filter and spark plug change.
On the other hand I wonder what could go wrong? Removing it from the MH, disconnecting gas and electric connections, valve lash check and adjustment, cleaning the head surface and valve cover - and then reassembly - in a sense doing everything properly.

Thanks
Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
if this check requires removal of the unit and other maintenance would be done to it also for $500 that does not seem unreasonable to me given you have used it over 13 years so the cost is about $38 dollars a year for a piece of equipment that is needed.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #4

I don't have that answer however I would think a search for reviews of the Onan/Cummins power in your local area by yelp and BBB may provide some idea of their quality. Myself I have never been overly concerned about valve lash as long as an engine is running smooth and developing power, but this is just me and not a recommendation to do or not do this check.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #5

Great minds think alike

Surprisingly, reviews seem nonexistent. Will keep looking.

I did ask my dealer where to take it, I94 RV, and they directed me to Cummins NPower near me. That may be as close to a review as I can get.

I almost always manage my risk of recent service by running tests right at the service provider, and ask them to show me what they did. Minor routine service not so much. I forsee a shakedown cruise as a result, somewhat local with an expectation of looking for problems.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I don't have that answer however I would think a search for reviews of the Onan/Cummins power in your local area by yelp and BBB may provide some idea of their quality. Myself I have never been overly concerned about valve lash as long as an engine is running smooth and developing power, but this is just me and not a recommendation to do or not do this check.

Tags
lite, onan, valve