Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

Onan 4000 Microquiet Fails to start

I just bought a 2001 Four Winds 5000 Class C with an Onan Microquiet 4000 gas genset. It was working but I noticed sometimes when just setting there the RV NOT running the genny all by itslef would start and run a while and shut down. Since then I have changed the oil and I have installed 4 new Golf Cart batteries (series/paralell 12 volt configuration) with a Xantrex Truecharge 2 Charger and the batteries are full charged, all new clean tight bright shiny heavy cables and grounds to the genny and she was really cranking well and running fine after all that. HOWEVER the other day it took like 3 or 4 push downs on the remote start button before she cranked over (before solenoid pulled in) but it cranked fast and ran fine once it started. Then today the remote start caused NOTHING (no solenoid activation) and at the onboard start button it doesnt prime in the stop position nor do any trouble code lights or any light on the start button light at all and of course no solenoid activation and no crankin or starting or anything. The voltage measures over 12 on the solenoid input (where big cable attaches) and all other 12 volt loads are fine and bright and the Xantrex shows batteries fully charged BUT THERES NO LIGHTS OR TROUBLE CODES ON THE START BUTTON (when pressed to prime stop or start) AND SHE REFUSES TO CLOSE THE SOLENOID AND CRANK GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Tomorrow Im gonna hot jump the solenoid to see if it at least cranks then.

Any thoughts?? Where to start especially if she cranks fine by jumping the solenoids small top activation terminal (says batteries and grounds and starter motor all okay). The Control Module at fault maybe??? I have downloaded some of the manuals but they talk about trouble codes while mine yields no lights on the start stop switch whatsoever??

This is makin me angry.......

John T
OldJohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #2

Update, Cranks fine if Solenoid jumped

UPDATE;;;;;;;;;;;;; So I went out today and hot jumped the solenoids small top activation terminals AND SHE CRANKED LIKE A CHAMPION (Batteries, cables, grounds all okay) Unlike yesterday when I pushed the onboard stop button to STOP she flashed slow 3 times (means needs service) and then the fuel pump worked to prime BUT STILL NOTHING WHEN PRESSED TO START AT EITHER BUTTON.

I'm thinking the control module, any other ideas and suggestions??

Its an Onan MicroQuiet Model 4KY FA26100J

John T
OldJohnT is offline   Reply With Quote