Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2022, 09:41 PM   #1

Onan 4000 running no AC

Hello all, I have been struggling with my power form generator issue.

Trailer - 2021 FR Stealth toy hauler 2514G
Generator - Onan 4000, WFCO control panel and converter. Plug in is a 30amp twist lock.

- We were camping, it was hot out, running the A/C and just boom, AC power cuts off and generator stayed running. Only thing I found at the time was the converter breaker was tripped. Tried resetting it and it would just trip right away but after shutting gen down, it was able to reset. Start gen back up still no AC power even if breaker stayed closed. If trailer is plugged into shore power all AC works just great.

Testing I have done so far so you know
- Checked all connections to see if a wire is loose - Good
- With shore power, Checked all AC outputs from breakers - Good
- Swapped Converter breaker wire with another 15 amp breaker, still nothing.
- Checked the DC output from the converter - Good
- Checked the 30amp pole breaker on generator - Good

I am thinking it might be the ATS (T30)?? What do you all think?

Ramhad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:03 AM   #2

Possible. Take the cover off the ATS and measure the AC voltage on the generator connection with generator running. Then measure voltage on the Control Panel connections to see if it is passing through. It should be with shore power disconnected.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Have you checked the circuit breaker that is physically on the generator itself by turning it all the way OFF then back ON again?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2020 View Post
Possible. Take the cover off the ATS and measure the AC voltage on the generator connection with generator running. Then measure voltage on the Control Panel connections to see if it is passing through. It should be with shore power disconnected.
Thanks, This was my exact next step. The shore power is making it to the AC Buss but not the Gen.

I just have to find it now, I am unsure exactly where it is, gonna start looking under the front area under the bed, But when I put stuff under there I do not remember seeing that T30 in there. I have the artic package so I hope its not under that stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stealth2514.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	277461  
Old 08-05-2022, 01:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Have you checked the circuit breaker that is physically on the generator itself by turning it all the way OFF then back ON again?
Yes that was in my post and it was not tripped and I cycled it a few times to be sure still no go.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:35 AM   #6

Quote:
One other question, I have heard the ONAN Generators will shutdown in they are not putting out any voltage after it starts is that correct? Mine stays running.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:16 AM   #7

I'm doubtful that they shut down if they don't put out. They do have low oil shutdown protection, however.

I'm one who turned the breaker off when I was servicing it, and that really just cuts the output. Anyway, I forgot the switch was off so when the power went out at a campground we were at the generator ran but we didn't have power because the switch was off.
I'm calling it a MIF (maintenance induced failure).
Old 08-05-2022, 02:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
I'm doubtful that they shut down if they don't put out. They do have low oil shutdown protection, however.

I'm one who turned the breaker off when I was servicing it, and that really just cuts the output. Anyway, I forgot the switch was off so when the power went out at a campground we were at the generator ran but we didn't have power because the switch was off.
I'm calling it a MIF (maintenance induced failure).
Okay, good to know, I am hoping and praying its a small fix like a T30 and not the gen blowing some brushes ect... Only has 56 hours
Old 08-05-2022, 08:21 AM   #9

your not going to know until you open up some type of box and take some electrical measurements. but first, trip and reset the breaker on the generator. this is so easy and there is still a chance that it may be the issue.

there was a post not long ago about a person not getting any power from the generator. if the generator cables do not reach to the transfer switch they normally go into a junction box where they are spliced to longer cobles that go to the transfer switch. in the recent post the person found that they were 'spliced' with wire nuts and one of those had come loose which broke the current path into transfer switch. it was a simple fix once it was found. you're just going to have to get a meter, trace the wires, and find the outage.

you mention that the generator only has 56 hours on it. how old is it? onan has a unlimited 2 year warranty on the entire generator and a limited 3 year warranty on major parts of the generator. we had a problem with ours and they replaced a cylinder head under this warranty with no cost to us.

also, there have been mentions of the converter and its circuit breaker but i do not understand how that is relevant to the generator not outputting 120 volt power.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramhad3 View Post
Hello all, I have been struggling with my power form generator issue.

Trailer - 2021 FR Stealth toy hauler 2514G
Generator - Onan 4000, WFCO control panel and converter. Plug in is a 30amp twist lock.

- We were camping, it was hot out, running the A/C and just boom, AC power cuts off and generator stayed running. Only thing I found at the time was the converter breaker was tripped. Tried resetting it and it would just trip right away but after shutting gen down, it was able to reset. Start gen back up still no AC power even if breaker stayed closed. If trailer is plugged into shore power all AC works just great.

Testing I have done so far so you know
- Checked all connections to see if a wire is loose - Good
- With shore power, Checked all AC outputs from breakers - Good
- Swapped Converter breaker wire with another 15 amp breaker, still nothing.
- Checked the DC output from the converter - Good
- Checked the 30amp pole breaker on generator - Good

I am thinking it might be the ATS (T30)?? What do you all think?

UPDATE: tested the Generator output today, it is putting out 120vAC so I am pretty positive I can say it's the T30. Any thoughts before I order one?
Old 08-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Yeah shore power yes. Gen running gets 120 to the feeder connections to the Gen side of the T30 but not making it to panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220805_154100.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	277485  
Old 08-05-2022, 08:38 PM   #12

if i understand properly you have confirmed that the generator power is making it to the generator input side of the transfer switch but is not coming out the output side.

before you order a new transfer switch i would look very carefully at the transfer switch. it is possible that there is a loose connection that might need tightening. do you hear a thud when the transfer switch switches to generator power. i believe they will use generator power as there priority power source when they sense generator power present.

our transfer switch had an issue where one of the contactors became sticky and wouldn't engage. i manually exercised it (with power off) and ever since them it has been working properly.

again look carefully at all the connections within the transfer switch. hopefully you find something that can still be corrected. i hate to see people replace items like this before they try to eliminate all problems. is there a troubleshooting section on the manual?

i'm still hoping this is resolvable. based upon what you say (power in present, power out not present), the issue has to be within the switch.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:51 PM   #13

Yes sir, I disconnected the power and nuetral wire from feeding into the switch and started it up. I checked the power to ground and it reads 120Vac.

When it is connected and start the generator there is no sound of transfer.

If I read correctly on the T30 switches there is no actual breakers like in a 50 amp service, it is just electronics with a relay that will close when the timer says to close the relay.

I am checking lines for tightness as I go along. Strange that there is a separate ground buss just screwed to the flooring under the fridge where WFCO control box is at. My T30 switch is mounted on the back of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
if i understand properly you have confirmed that the generator power is making it to the generator input side of the transfer switch but is not coming out the output side.

before you order a new transfer switch i would look very carefully at the transfer switch. it is possible that there is a loose connection that might need tightening. do you hear a thud when the transfer switch switches to generator power. i believe they will use generator power as there priority power source when they sense generator power present.

our transfer switch had an issue where one of the contactors became sticky and wouldn't engage. i manually exercised it (with power off) and ever since them it has been working properly.

again look carefully at all the connections within the transfer switch. hopefully you find something that can still be corrected. i hate to see people replace items like this before they try to eliminate all problems. is there a troubleshooting section on the manual?

i'm still hoping this is resolvable. based upon what you say (power in present, power out not present), the issue has to be within the switch.

Tags
onan