Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #1

One green wire

Putting in a new Suburban Hot water heater SW6D with direct ignition.
My existing hot water heater has a 12v igniter with 2 wires coming from my circuit panel. So I will reuse the (2)wires from my existing HW to the new Suburban wall on/off switch. The 12V wires coming from my circuit panel will hook to the new wall switch then (2) new wires will hook up with the HW tank control module to the new switch as well. Don't have any questions with all of this. That's pretty clear on the wiring diagram.

However, I do have a "green" wire that is screwed to the HW tank "housing" which is a ground wire I assume. My only queston is, do I hook this ground wire to the ground wire coming from my circuit panel as well, or do I hook this green wire to a "separate" metal ground location somewhere on my camper ??
Thanks
olecarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #2

to the frame.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Yup......good and solid frame ground.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #4

run wire to frame ,round crimp on end and a self taping metal screw,socket head and a drill. scrape frame at attachment point.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #5

Unless someone knows for sure what the green wire is for it may be that the green wire is a bonding ground wire and the other end is already terminated to chassis ground. I think the OP should check with existing heater manufacturer be it Suburban or otherwise. JMO
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

According to the wiring diagram provided by Suburban on that model, the green wire in the junction box is chassis ground.

Looks like the yellow wire from the control module also connects to it.Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban-gas-only-12v-wiring.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	246363

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. That's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to confirm.
The diagram shows (2) wires to ground which one is to my circuit panel and the other ground would be chassis ground.
Thanks again..
Old 01-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecarman View Post
Thanks everyone. That's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to confirm.
The diagram shows (2) wires to ground which one is to my circuit panel and the other ground would be chassis ground.
Thanks again..
When it comes to RVs it is always best to check and double check. The industry has no convention that is used for wiring or anything else. Ughh

Our built-in Radio/Speaker System that runs on 12 VDC was powered with 2 white 14 gauge wires. Nothing technically wrong with that. But it just proved to me they use what ever is available if they run out of whatever is specified.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #9

My camper is setup permanent in a campground and is enclosed all the way around. So I'm going to have fun trying to find a location for a chassis ground to attach my green wire too.. ugh !!!
Old 01-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

Quote:
My camper is setup permanent in a campground and is enclosed all the way around. So I'm going to have fun trying to find a location for a chassis ground to attach my green wire too.. ugh !!!
As said, that green wire may already be attached to the chassis, if you have a multimeter it can easily be verified using the ohms or continuity function.

bubbles, the OP has been given copies to his original WH manual and the service manual for Suburban water heaters in another thread about this same subject.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...se-223453.html
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Why not just butt splice the new green wire to the old one and re-use it?

Tags
wire