Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2022, 02:26 PM   #1

Oops, hot hit ground, no charge

When putting my second 12 volt battery in, the hot cable hit the ground post on the other battery. Sparks flew, one fuse blew, the radio fuse. But it appeared that my converter isn’t working. Battery’s aren’t charging when plugged to 15 amp. The 110 volt works, the lights work on 12 volt but the fan on the converter doesn’t go on and the batteries aren’t charging. Any insight?
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
When putting my second 12 volt battery in, the hot cable hit the ground post on the other battery. Sparks flew, one fuse blew, the radio fuse. But it appeared that my converter isn’t working. Battery’s aren’t charging when plugged to 15 amp. The 110 volt works, the lights work on 12 volt but the fan on the converter doesn’t go on and the batteries aren’t charging. Any insight?
The converter has what are called reverse polarity fuses to protect it from stuff like this. The fuse(s) can be in the electrical panel of the RV or on the converter itself.

See post # 5 at this link:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2385749

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The converter has what are called reverse polarity fuses to protect it from stuff like this. The fuse(s) can be in the electrical panel of the RV or on the converter itself.

See post # 5 at this link:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2385749
Thanks. That solved it. It was the 40 amp fuse. Hard to find though, using 30 amp for now. Much appreciated, just about to hook up for the Canada Day weekend. Whew!!
Old 07-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks. That solved it. It was the 40 amp fuse. Hard to find though, using 30 amp for now. Much appreciated, just about to hook up for the Canada Day weekend. Whew!!
Glad you got it figured out. I need to study up more on my northern neighbors as I had to google Canada Day.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
I make it a practice to have a couple fuses in every size I can find in a new Vehicle or RV so I don't have to go looking.

A $12 assortment from Amazon will probably have just about any fuse you can imagine needing (even 40 amp)

https://smile.amazon.com/Assorted-St...s%2C172&sr=8-4

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:02 PM   #6

[QUOTE=TitanMike;2756076]I make it a practice to have a couple fuses in every size I can find in a new Vehicle or RV so I don't have to go looking.

A $12 assortment from Amazon will probably have just about any fuse you can imagine needing (even 40 amp)

(QUOTE). Two of those damned assortment boxes and no 40s. Glad someone could find some.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I make it a practice to have a couple fuses in every size I can find in a new Vehicle or RV so I don't have to go looking.

https://smile.amazon.com/Assorted-St...s%2C172&sr=8-4

I’ve got a huge assortment of fuses, but no 40s lol. I ended up going to two different places and still no 40s. The 30 amp worked and lasted all weekend so I’m pleased with that.
I’m on the look out for them though. I’ll try Amazon as a last resort though. I try to avoid Amazon and Walmart.