Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Graduate Member

This happened to us - minus the actual plugging in of the RV. We had a licensed electrician doing the work. Look at my profile for a link to the question - we posted pictures
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
Graduate Member

here it is

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-33805.html
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgan View Post
When checking 110 receptacle with a volt meter what should it read. I know the 220 read 110 from hot to ground and 110 from negative(white) to ground
Corgan, click the link below and then click on the outlet testing tab on the lefhand side.

Now, near the top of the page they have diagrams of a 220 volt 50 amp outlet and a 120 volt 30 amp outlet. Beside each diagram, it explains what voltage you should have across which terminals.

Having voltage from White to Ground in your 220 doesn't sound right if you had a four prong welding outlet. Was yours a three prong 220volt welding outlet? If so, I think I know what went wrong as there is no neutral in that setup.

A three prong welding outlet has two hots (each 120 volt) and a ground, with no neutral. If you tried to hook these same three wires to a 120 volt travel trailer outlet, then you kept it 220 volts. You'll have to have a neutral before you can properly wire up a 120 volt TT-30R.

Click the welder service tab at the same link below, which will help explain this. It also tells you how to rewire everything at the breaker box to use your welder circuit for the travel trailer. You have to change one of the hot wires to a neutral.

Converting the Welder (6-30R or 6-50R) service over to a 30-amp 120-volt RV service Remove the Double pole breaker and replace it with a Single pole 30-amp breaker. This service requires 3 wires 1 Black (Hot lead) 1 White (Neutral) and 1 Ground. One of the hot wires will have to be made into Neutral wire. Use white tape to identify it for future reference. Install a TT-30R receptacle and its ready to go.

RV Electric

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #24

Yes that is exactly what it was a three prong welder receptical that I took off and put a rv receptical in.
corgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Yes that is exactly what it was a three prong welder receptical that I took off and put a rv receptical in.
Ok great, we should you have you fixed up in the post above.....at least as far as that part goes. I edited the post to tell you what to do in the breaker box, in case you missed it. Please DO NOT touch anything in the breaker box unless your are familiar with working inside one and will shut off the electricity at your outside meter. It's just not worth the risk.

The trailer is another matter, and hopefully the damage is minimal

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
Engineer of Crazy Train

Look up NEMA connectors on Wikipedia and it shows the difference. It also states that the TT30 is commonly mistaken for the 10-30.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Depending on how new your TT is your converter may have over voltage protection. I know mine does. Before installing an EMS a voltage spike took out 2 TV's and the microwave. It did not get the converter, the converter shut itself down. If you are using a 30amp system, I would highly suggest you get a 30 amp EMS made by Progressive Industries. Had you had one here, it would have protected you.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To the op,
Have you got anything figured out yet?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #29

I've been there and done this also. I plugged my TT into my generator using a 50 foot cord that came with the generator clearly marked "120 volt only". This cord plugged into the 220 volt female on the generator and was supposed to be wired for 120 volt using only one of the 220 volt hot leads, a neutral, and a ground. BUT--the cord was wired wrong from the factory, I found out to late. Fried my convertor, and my micro-wave. Thankfully that was all. You can only imagine how good I felt when the refrigerator worked after plugging the TT back to shore power and jumping the convertor to power the fridge. I also checked the A/C this way and it worked fine. A new convertor, probably better than the one I fried, and a new Wally-World $55 micro-wave and all is well. Yes I did correct the cord wiring, have tested it and it works properly now. What good is 50 foot cord? It gets the gen 50 foot away from the TT the only two times I have used the gen with the TT. Silent (quieter) nights.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #30

Appears converter is toast no power at all
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #31

Thurman where did you get new converter
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Appears converter is toast no power at all
If you have a wfco converter I'd strongly suggest replacing it with a progressive dynamics brand. .... strongly.
Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote