Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Well said... much ado over nothing but everyone has their way.
My 40+ years of camping has never included an EMS.
"DITTO"
Old 04-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
we've traveled over 92,000 miles in less than 4 1/2 years all over the U.S., including Alaska, and most all of Canada and have seen almost EVERY electrical 'situation' you can imagine, including what certainly seems as 'sub-standard' wiring schemes, from the owner's 'brother-in-law electrician', etc...

we've never had any electrical issue, and do NOT employ any Surge or Electrical 'ems' system - I think that it's simply a worry that is not really the 'danger' that so many are led to believe, or worry about.

yes, there is a possibility of electrical issues anywhere you go, your own home included, but the PROBABILITY of having issues at a campground or rv park are very, very rare.
Sometimes the 'issues' that ems units cause is more problematic than any actual 'problem', even if there is really one in the first place.

That's just my two cents, from a LOT of camping and rv park experience...
with our 50amp coach, we've plugged into many differing electrical scenarios, including a simple 15amp household outlet, many, many 30amp campground outlets, of various conditions, including ones that do not even have their own breaker at the outlet post, and many adaptations, including combining 15amp and 30amp outlets, or even two 30amp outlets, like where we are parked at a state campground today.

Don't overthink your electrical - plug in and enjoy. Sometimes too much 'information' is just a worry point.
You do realize though that an open ground and reverse polarity can result in a potentially lethal situation? And low voltage can result in damage to AC units and cause some appliances to underperform? Or an open neutral on 50 amps can cause extensive damage to appliances and other items in an RV? And of course, what a surge can do?

Mike Sokol's article on the RV "hot skin" condition is a worthwhile read: RV Electrical Safety: Part IV ‚€“ Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone A hot skin on an RV has killed in the past.

CG pedestal issues should not be taken lightly and brushed off.

FWIW, a PI EMS has a much higher peak surge current (44,000 & 88,000 amps) compared to a Surge Guard (6500 amps) or a Hughes autoformer which does not give you a figure.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #43
...far N Georgia!

I think with 92,000+miles and many, many, many campgrounds, rv parks, personal homes, and business 'electrical' connections, I've proved my point that 'over worrying' about electrical tends to lead to many of these 'possibilities' that many people overthink.

I'm not a worrier... I'm a doer.

It's proven very successful. I think assuming that any and all campground or rv park power pedestals are somehow inherently faulty is making assumptions that just continue to perpetuate these 'faulty' concerns.

I see many, many more concerns on these forums about folks who've had issues with their 'equipment', meaning their electrical salvation devices, than anyone who has ever actually had with a campground or rv park's power outlet.

Yes, there can be circumstances that make you pause, but investigating them correctly before you plug in is certainly a good idea. There can be outlets that have been used so much that they are loose and won't hold your plug. There are some breakers that have been tripped so often by so many users that they become 'weak' over time and may trip much earlier than they should.
There 'could' be other instances, but just assuming that everyone 'must' employ these types of electrical devices, or otherwise they are at 'risk' for their equipment being lost, or their rv burning down, is absurd.

Those of us on this forum with years and miles of experience have proven that just jumping to conclusions because of what people 'say' many times just create additional costs and over-worry, mainly about nothing.

If these 'electrical concerns' were so prevalent, and had any impact on the actual value of camping, the factories would already include these devices in their units.

If you have concerns, then take the steps you think will ease your mind, but the vast majority of campers, especially weekend campers, need not be so worried, and need not feel as though somehow they are going to put their camper 'at risk' simply because they don't run out and spend the money for these supposedly 'required' upgrades.

travel, plug in, enjoy ! : )
or, if you're really concerned, don't plug in - use your generator : )
Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #44

Quote:
I think assuming that any and all campground or rv park power pedestals are somehow inherently faulty is making assumptions that just continue to perpetuate these 'faulty' concerns.
Assuming that a pedestal in an RV park is hunk dory is just going with the "ignorance is bliss" state of mind. An EMS does more than just check for ground and neutral issues. It also checks for low voltage which can damage some equipment.

I will spend the couple hundred dollars so that thousands of dollars worth of equipment is protected. It also protects YOU. Do some searched about RV hot skin conditions where people got electrocuted.

Quote:
or, if you're really concerned, don't plug in - use your generator : )
Or spend a few a couple hundred on an EMS...even easier.

Quote:
If these 'electrical concerns' were so prevalent, and had any impact on the actual value of camping, the factories would already include these devices in their units.
Most hilarious statement yet. If RV manufacturers didn't worry about cost, you would have better tires, better tank level monitors...
Old 04-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Assuming that a pedestal in an RV park is hunk dory is just going with the "ignorance is bliss" state of mind. An EMS does more than just check for ground and neutral issues. It also checks for low voltage which can damage some equipment.

I will spend the couple hundred dollars so that thousands of dollars worth of equipment is protected. It also protects YOU. Do some searched about RV hot skin conditions where people got electrocuted.

Or spend a few a couple hundred on an EMS...even easier.

Most hilarious statement yet. If RV manufacturers didn't worry about cost, you would have better tires, better tank level monitors...
Others like me...with 40+ years of camping without surge...EMS...it's not "Ignorance is Bliss" attitude...which I take great OFFENSE of, it's nothing has ever happened to any of us in 1000's of CG's and decades of camping. I know more people that blew up their campers by wiring their home hook up wrong than any I know that had their camper destroyed by faulty CG wiring.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I know more people that blew up their campers by wiring their home hook up wrong...
You just proved my point. Guess what...an EMS would have saved the camper. If a home can be hooked up wrong, an RV pedestal could be hooked up wrong. I wouldn't trust an RV park maintenance guy one bit.

I pretty much dry camp 95% of the time. I still have an EMS for the other 5%. Cheap insurance. There are a lot of people that don't use a TPMS. They go on 1000s of camping trips without a tire issue. I have a TPMS as well.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You just proved my point. Guess what...an EMS would have saved the camper. If a home can be hooked up wrong, an RV pedestal could be hooked up wrong. I wouldn't trust an RV park maintenance guy one bit.

I pretty much dry camp 95% of the time. I still have an EMS for the other 5%. Cheap insurance.
Apparently not all the time ? there are treads out here where the EMS failed and damage still happened. It's not full proof, I have no need but if it makes other feel safer...so be it.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Apparently not all the time ? there are treads out here where the EMS failed and damage still happened. It's not full proof, I have no need but if it makes other feel safer...so be it.
My EMS checks power before it engages the relay. Takes many seconds until it happens. No way would connecting to a plug miswired to 240V allow that power into the camper unless they had it set to bypass.

Some people thing a surge protector is an EMS.

If you had an RV outlet installed, would you check its power before plugging in for the first time?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #49
Green Horn

open ground fault part 2

Final feedback on this EMS unit, plugged into about 5 other sites when people left and each time this faulted out with a different code every time, Contacted manufacture hoping to get a replacement.

First time out everything worked, Kept the shinny side up..lol
Hope to see some of you at Rally in June
Closed Thread