Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

Open neutral after plugging in at home

Hello, first post here. Just bought a 2018 Salem Cruise Lite. Got home today from second time out and my progressive ssp30x had a lit red light on indicating open neutral when plugged in to garage outlet. It indicated correct wiring with just the surge protector plugged in. When I plugged in the camper is when it would indicate the open neutral. Everything has been fine when plugged in to house previously and everything was correct at the park. It had been raining all morning so the electrical cords were probably wet.

Any suggestions as to why this would suddenly happen?

From what I've researched dangers of frying appliances due to open neutral seem to relate more to 50 amp not 30?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Jmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Check the connections where power cable enters RV and connects to converter. The power connections ( power cable to unit) have been know to come loose if they were not tightened correctly.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #3

Check your outlet. Unplug it an look for meting somewhere. There is a contact problem somewhere. Pulling enough current will cause this. Usually there is a problem with either the blade or the ground and the ems is looking for them to be connected but due to a connection problem (likely in either the plug in your house or the prongs to the trailer). You may have no issue until you draw more current and make the connection arc and the plug starts to melt.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I plugged back in to the same garage outlet this afternoon and no longer got an open neutral light. Really makes me wonder if the rainy weather/possible wet connection had anything to do with it. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.
Jmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
DDC

If your garage is powered through a GFI then you get this , you can't have two GFI's in the same line.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
If your garage is powered through a GFI then you get this , you can't have two GFI's in the same line.
I've done that many times, no problem. It doesn't protect you anymore, but will work.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote