Old 04-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #1

Phantom DC Voltage

I was adding a storage compartment light in my 2018 Prism 2200. I removed the water pump 10 amp fuse to splice into the feed wires for the silly white light/switch in the water panel. I was checking to see that there was no power and found about 9 VDC still in the circuit.

I wanted to work on a dead circuit so I disconnected shore power and turned off the battery switch. took a voltage reading and found .5 VDC on the circuit and all the other DC outlets.
I can't figure out why the 9 VDC stray voltage on a circuit powered from one source. Im totally confused by the .5 VDC when the whole system should be shut down. Any advice would be appreciated.
jmadaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
Retired Old Fart

I would say as a first thought, a capacitor in something on that line, but would not expect a water pump to have a capacitor. Next I would think there is perhaps a screw crossing 2 circuits or rodent damage to wiring.

Do you have a tone tracker?
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:32 PM   #3

WAG the 9V were caused by the effects of inductive coupling between 120V AC wiring and 12V DC wiring running parallel somewhere.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #4

No tone tracker. Also RV is a year old with no rodents. But the screw is a possibility.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #5

I was thinking inductive coupling. The electrical schematics say to keep 12V and 120 V wiring at least 1/2” apart but I see many instances of both tie wrapped together.

Tags
voltage