Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Please review my inverter plan

I would appreciate any helpful input before i proceed. I have been researching inverters but am certainly not all knowing

I am trying to accomplish the following by installing a 2000 watt AIMS pure sign wave inverter with 1/0 AWG wire and a 200 amp fuse:

- plug in the shore power cord of my HW296 into the inverter because it is easy and I don't want to modify the trailer wiring (I will flip the converter breaker to off)
- power a 22"lcd tv and a blu ray player
- charge phones, tablets, etc
- run the MICROWAVE for 1 minute to warm up food while tv is in use

** No toaster, hairdryer, or other big power hogs

Will my two Interstate DP group 24 batteries do it?

I typically run a generator for a short time in the morning at breakfast time and at night during dinner time for recharge. I am not looking for numerous days in a row without recharging as we don't camp where there are hook ups

I understand that this isn't the "best" plan but these are the new batteries I have now and it is what I can justify spending given the six 3-4 day trips my family takes a year

Thank you
Bushfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #2

Should work as you have designed it. You will find that the TV and Blueray draws virtually nothing. Might want to put a disconnect switch in the line going to the inverter. $7.00 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Battery-...tch+disconnect

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #3

A $12 inverter will do everything but the microwave.

Seems like a spendy way to run the microwave.

Maybe add a 12v outlet by the TV and a small cheap inverter.

Then a remote start generator.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

Yup, that's the way you do it and it should work. I also have this plan in my future except that I have 2 6 volt batteries with an idea to upgrade to 4. Just about all of our camping is dry camping and it seems to be a waste to have a microwave and not be able to use it.

I have waffled about getting a generator but I like the challenge of making this work with solar panels.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

It will work.... Along with turning the converter charger off, don't forget to switch the fridge to propane only at the same time, or you will be really surprised how little time it takes to flatten your batteries.... The low voltage alarm at 3am isn't a very nice way to wake up...

We have found through our experience that the microwave and coffee pot are a little too power hungry to use on inverter power (at least with our system). We run dual 225ah 6v GC2 batteries, a 1500w inverter, and a 200w solar system. The batteries take to long to recover with our small system, unless we throw in a little generator run time into the mix. For all of our other power consumption including the tv, LED lights, phone chargers, etc, our system does just fine.. If we really need to use the microwave or electric coffee pot we wait until we can fire up the gen briefly. I have grown to love my stove top percolator coffee pot again...

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
Always Learning

With any plan on dry camping, I think a battery monitor is all but required. Gives you a real view into what the state of your batteries is.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #7

X2 on a Trimetric, Victron or equivalent. Otherwise you are in the dark about what you have left and when to run the generator and for how long. Might just actually put you in the dark...

2015 335DS
Old 05-18-2018, 12:16 AM   #8

2 Group 24 batteries are not going to cut it for the microwave. While 2 golf cart batteries is better the minimum I would have is 4 golf cart batteries for a 2000 watt inverter.

A Trimetric or Victron monitor is a must.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:22 AM   #9

Look, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't power a microwave with an inverter, but then it is too easy for me to push the button to start my generator....but i would let it run for an hour if I started it (always do.)

I believe in numbers and two GRP24 batteries should give the OP something like 200 AH total or 100 AH usable capacity (if in good shape.) A 1,200 microwave would draw around 115 amps with inverter efficiency considered. 1 minute would calculate out to 1.9 AH! He certainly has that!

If the numbers don't work, why do we use them?

2015 335DS
Old 05-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #10

Keep in mind that the wires interconnecting the batteries have to be monster gauge in size.

I don't run anything greater than 150 watts from my inverter on my TT. The best way to run an inverter is straight from the batteries and plug the shore power cord into the inverter. NOW DON'T FORGET, trip the converter/charger breaker or you will be trying to recharge your batteries with power taken from the battery - not a good idea. Doing it this way will activate every outlet in the TT. You should also kill the fridge and A/C breakers. If this is too complicated then place the inverter by the batteries and run an extension cord through an outside door into the TT to use.

Years ago we had a houseboat that an owner installed a 2000 Watt inverter so he didn't have to run the generator to brew a cup. After the week he left the batteries totally discharged (for my family). It took 3 days of generator running to bring the batteries up again. The inverter took a swim in the lake and did not return!
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Look, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't power a microwave with an inverter, but then it is too easy for me to push the button to start my generator....but i would let it run for an hour if I started it (always do.)

I believe in numbers and two GRP24 batteries should give the OP something like 200 AH total or 100 AH usable capacity (if in good shape.) A 1,200 microwave would draw around 115 amps with inverter efficiency considered. 1 minute would calculate out to 1.9 AH! He certainly has that!

If the numbers don't work, why do we use them?
Problem is the voltage drop with a 115 amp draw. Inverter will shutdown with the grp 24's most likely, they don't have enough oompf (technical term) to supply that much power and maintain voltage that the inverter can use. I have tried it.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #12

So if I replace my 12v batteries with two Sam's Club GC2 6 volts (only $85/ea), that would offer me about double the capacity (42ah x 2 = 84ah total for the 12volts vs 164ah for the 6 volts) and better enable me to do what I am looking to do?

Can a GC2 battery fit in the standard group 24 box or is it too tall and I would have to purchase two new boxes?

Thank you all
Bushfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #13

You should look at the Trojan t 105 6 volt. Yeah they cost a little more but are far superior to the cheap ones. Maintained properly they can last 8 years or better.
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #14

Posted too many times on this I just bookmarked the most recent in another unrelated thread. When traveling I run 24/7 off-grid unless it coincidentally happens to be there, but it is not something I look for or require, but have no problem using. Normally it is only available at state parks, never found at NPS, and private $50+ a night locations. Not that I did it for $avings, but it will pay for itself on not needing power to travel.

And yes, I run everything including AC, MW, hairdryers, .. on my (not FR) battery bank via inverter.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1805725
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bb.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	172483   Click image for larger version

Name:	ic.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	172484   Click image for larger version

Name:	icc.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	172485  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #15

I use Sam's Club EGC2 batteries which cost a little more and have better capacity then their cheaper $85 golf cart battery.

I have a total of 6 GC batteries for 660 amp-hours of capacity. I don't worry about the microwave, vacuum cleaner, or other high power items. Recharge is done via solar each morning by noon.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Posted too many times on this I just bookmarked the most recent in another unrelated thread. When traveling I run 24/7 off-grid unless it coincidentally happens to be there, but it is not something I look for or require, but have no problem using. Normally it is only available at state parks, never found at NPS, and private $50+ a night locations. Not that I did it for $avings, but it will pay for itself on not needing power to travel.

And yes, I run everything including AC, MW, hairdryers, .. on my (not FR) battery bank via inverter.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1805725
I read 270S original post last November.

I ordered the Samlex EVO-2212 from Amazon. I did not want to add weight to the rear so I had it installed in an unused area next to the battery bay.
Expanding compartment space for 2200 Watt Inverter/Charger

I realized that I needed more than two batteries for boondocking. I was going to install four Interstate deep cycle batteries until I found out Battle Born would ship LiFePO4 Lithium Batteries to Alaska. They also gave me a military discount.

In June, I will be installing six 100 Watt solar panels. Also from Amazon. It is a work in progress.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter