Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Plug-n-Play Inverter for RV Rockwood 2280BH

Has anyone used an inverter via the plug-n-play method before? I've only heard about this option a few weeks ago, would like to try it out, but have several questions.

Taking from an RV website, the plug-n-play method is plugging your RV power cord directly into the inverter. This next step is crucial: turn off the 110v breaker that controls your charger portion of the RV. Otherwise, the inverter will fight with the charger and it will not work properly.

I want to use the inverter with a G31 battery not connected to the trailer. They would be a stand alone unit. The power center/converter would remain connected to the G27 house battery as per original setup.

Questions (taking note that my trailer is still packed away for the winter) :
1) My trailer has the WFCO WF8735 Power Center. It has one 30Aac main circuit breaker and five 20Aac branch circuit breakers. Does anyone know which breaker controls the charger portion? Is the charger function even on a separate breaker?
2) The power center input is rated at 105-130 VAC, 60 Hz, 5.5 amps, 600 watt. 600W is a lot of drain on the battery. How much juice will the power center use with the charger portion off?
3) Will this setup interfere with my trailer circuits or G27 house battery? Will I still have use of all my DC appliances (lights, water pump, etc.)?

The annual man's camping trip with NHL playoff hockey viewing is just around the corner. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

B.
Blackhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #2

I have inverters on both of my RVs and have used the method with success many times.

Key points: the inverter has to be rated to provide the proper wattage for what you want to power; you probably would do better with at least 2 deep cycle batteries - many use two (or four) 6v Golf cart batteries wired in pairs; make sure that the converter circuit for charging your house battery is closed, otherwise the stand alone batteries will attempt to charge your house battery.

Inverters use some amperage even when not powering anything, just by being "on". Turn off the inverter if not using.

If you want to power large surge wattage appliances like a microwave or frig, you will need at least a 2000 watt inverter and four batteries because of the large amperage stores (150-200) needed when inverting DC to AC for those appliances.

Last point: some appliances need a pure sine wave inverter as opposed to a modified sine wave inverter - do some reading on this before choosing an inverter.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks View Post
The annual man's camping trip with NHL playoff hockey viewing is just around the corner. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

B.
GO HAWKS!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Big Vic - Thanks for the info and I totally understood. The 1000W PSW Inverter is only for a 30W LED TV and 20W satellite receiver to watch the Blackhawks playoff games. Maybe the Flames games if I want to be nice!

Platokidd - Nice rig and nice flag flying in the foreground! Go Hawks Go!
Blackhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #5

Inverters

I just finished installing a full solar system [600 watt] with inverter in my Aviator and went through three inverters till I got it right. What ever you THINK you need in power, triple it!! Refrigerators, microwaves and A/C units take a big upfront surge of power to get them started. Don't get caught short.
Also keep in mind the inverter will use MANY AMPS, VERY FAST out of your batts. Unless you have a bank of 4 or more 115 ahr batts, you won't last long with high draw appliances. If you will only use them for short times, the batts will be OK at three or more. Make sure the cables connecting the batts and inverter are really big [I used 3/0] Wait till you find out how much THOSE cost!!
Good Luck! Sit down and figure out what you will need ahead of time and save yourself a lot of time, trouble and expense.
One more thing. If you are using a mod sine wave inverter, you will need a voltage tester that measures RMS volts or it will look like you are short 20-30 vac. Appliances do not like mod sine wave units. Spend the money and go pure sine wave. You won't regret it.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, inverter, rockwood