Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2022, 02:47 AM   #1

Plugged into shorepower, but only certain outlets work

Good very early morning, I hope everyone is doing well. I'm here seeking some advice, I'm having an electrical issue with my 2016 Micro Lite 23fbks. I'm plugged into shore power, but nothing works except a couple outlets in the bathroom and kitchen. I checked the breaker panel under the fridge and flipped the breakers and checked the fuses, but it all looked fine. The batteries are dead since they haven't been getting charged, but I am getting power to the camper through shore power, because those outlets work. Is there another main breaker I am missing?

Thanks for any help!
Ari
Ari_Darkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari_Darkflower View Post
Good very early morning, I hope everyone is doing well. I'm here seeking some advice, I'm having an electrical issue with my 2016 Micro Lite 23fbks. I'm plugged into shore power, but nothing works except a couple outlets in the bathroom and kitchen. I checked the breaker panel under the fridge and flipped the breakers and checked the fuses, but it all looked fine. The batteries are dead since they haven't been getting charged, but I am getting power to the camper through shore power, because those outlets work. Is there another main breaker I am missing?

Thanks for any help!
Ari
You have two different electrical systems (120 volt AC) & (12 volt DC). Some items only work off of 120 volt AC and some items only work off of 12 volt DC. We need to determine if one or both systems are not functioning in order to troubleshoot.

What and where are you plugged into for shore power? Are you using any adapters to connect to shore power? We need to make sure you did not connect to a 240 volt outlet somehow. Please answer this question fully and accurately as this affects the entire dynamics in troubleshooting.

Now do you have a microwave in the RV? If so, are it's lights on and/or does it function? This will quickly help us in determining if the 120 volt AC is working.

Have you recently installed or connected/disconnected the cables to the battery?

Was everything working recently at your current location, then quit working?

Please read this thread link below on converter/inverters as we may be delving into that in short order depending on your answers above?

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nt-152813.html

And one last question, do you have or have access to an automotive style battery recharger that can be used to recharge the RV's batteries as we troubleshoot? You stated batteries in the plural sense, so assuming you have more than one battery connected?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You have two different electrical systems (120 volt AC) & (12 volt DC). Some items only work off of 120 volt AC and some items only work off of 12 volt DC. We need to determine if one or both systems are not functioning in order to troubleshoot.

What and where are you plugged into for shore power? Are you using any adapters to connect to shore power? We need to make sure you did not connect to a 240 volt outlet somehow. Please answer this question fully and accurately as this affects the entire dynamics in troubleshooting.

Now do you have a microwave in the RV? If so, are it's lights on and/or does it function? This will quickly help us in determining if the 120 volt AC is working.

Have you recently installed or connected/disconnected the cables to the battery?

Was everything working recently at your current location, then quit working?

Please read this thread link below on converter/inverters as we may be delving into that in short order depending on your answers above?

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nt-152813.html

And one last question, do you have or have access to an automotive style battery recharger that can be used to recharge the RV's batteries as we troubleshoot? You stated batteries in the plural sense, so assuming you have more than one battery connected?

Hi, yes there are 2 batteries, but I don't have a battery charger, I will pick one up today. My microwave is working and the outlets, except usb outlets. Tv works, but not fridge or water heater. I'm connect to 120 volts, my camper is plugged in with an adapter (30 amp to 15 amp) to a dedicated exterior outlet installed by an electrician (not sure if the outlet is 15 or 20 amp). The outlet is on it's own breaker in the main box at the house. My camper has been plugged in here for over a year. I have not messed with the batteries or the cables, but there was a lightening strike that caused damage to my outlet box I was plugged into, but the electrician came out and fixed the outlet everything was running fine on the new outlet for about a month before my camper stopped working properly. I bought a new adapter and new 30 amp cord just to be sure it wasn't one of them. If the batteries are dead would that prevent things from working even if plugged into shore power?
Old 12-03-2022, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
If the batteries are dead would that prevent things from working even if plugged into shore power?

Yes, it sounds like the 12 volt DC items are not working, which leads us to think it is a failed converter.

I actually just updated that thread I sent you a link to in the previous post about converters/inverter. If you will click on it again, there is a new post (#6) there I just added a few minutes ago about this and using a battery recharger until we can see if the converter has failed or if the fuses are blown to the converter.

The problem is though, since you are only connected to a 15 (possibly 20 amp) outlet, this battery recharger is also going to drawing amps from this, and hopefully does not trip the circuit breaker controlling this circuit.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Yes, it sounds like the 12 volt DC items are not working, which leads us to think it is a failed converter.

I actually just updated that thread I sent you a link to in the previous post about converters/inverter. If you will click on it again, there is a new post (#6) there I just added a few minutes ago about this and using a battery recharger until we can see if the converter has failed or if the fuses are blown to the converter.

The problem is though, since you are only connected to a 15 (possibly 20 amp) outlet, this battery recharger is also going to drawing amps from this, and hopefully does not trip the circuit breaker controlling this circuit.
I read your thread, learned a lot! Thank you so much for the help and information! My outlet is actually a 2 gang installed with 10/4 wire, just my camper is the only thing using it, besides a small window a/c unit that is used for the shed periodically. Do you think I could use the battery charger on the 2nd outlet without an issue? If not I should be able to run an extension cord from an outlet at the house to plug in the battery charger so it won't be on the same spot.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
If not I should be able to run an extension cord from an outlet at the house to plug in the battery charger so it won't be on the same spot.
Yes, this sounds like a better option...IF that entire other outlet is not on the same circuit as the one the RV is connected to.

You could have for example 5 different outlets on the outside of the house, but they all be on the same circuit.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #7

Was your trailer plugged in during the lightning strike that damaged your receptacle? If so, I'm guessing your trailer took a power surge and may have damaged your convertor and possibly other loads. Do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to use it for continuity and for ac and volts? If you do, start taking some voltage readings at the convertor of your incoming power both from the batteries and from your cord. Then check the main fuses on your convertor. If you don't have a meter or aren't comfortable with this, see if your electrician friend works for beer or whiskey and have them over. Offer to help or watch but don't be in the road.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes, this sounds like a better option...IF that entire other outlet is not on the same circuit as the one the RV is connected to.

You could have for example 5 different outlets on the outside of the house, but they all be on the same circuit.
Pretty sure it's a different circuit, so I will try and hope it all goes well! Thank you!
Old 12-03-2022, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Was your trailer plugged in during the lightning strike that damaged your receptacle? If so, I'm guessing your trailer took a power surge and may have damaged your convertor and possibly other loads. Do you have a multimeter? Do you know how to use it for continuity and for ac and volts? If you do, start taking some voltage readings at the convertor of your incoming power both from the batteries and from your cord. Then check the main fuses on your convertor. If you don't have a meter or aren't comfortable with this, see if your electrician friend works for beer or whiskey and have them over. Offer to help or watch but don't be in the road.
Yes, unfortunately, my camper was plugged in to it when the lightening hit. Everything was working fine for a while after I plugged back in, but I guess that was just because the batteries were still full at that point. I do not have a multimeter and I wish the electrician worked for beer! Lol! But I will definitely get the converter and other things looked at. Thank you.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:05 AM   #10

disconnect the battery positive cable from the battery and any solar panels

Plug in shore power....
If your interior lights work....... you are getting 120v into the trailer
the converter is working (converts 120v to 12vDC)

ALL of you outlets will be 120v AC
and air conditioner , microwave

water heater can be propane or 120v

Fridge can be 12v only (will run off the battery OR Converter if on shore power)

OR 3way propane, 12v or 120v check your fridge if it has switch to use propane

If some of your outlets are working ....... but not others.
try pressing the reset button on the GFCIs .. try the bathroom one first
only press it while shore power is ON

once you know everything is working ... reconnect battery / solar
leave it plugged in to charge battery or add the external charger.

IF the batteries have not charged up make sure battery disconnect switch
is in correct position "ON"

you can check with multi meter if battery is getting 13.6 or more volts

NOTE... my breaker panel was incorrectly labeled....
made it just a bit more fun
Old 12-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

sounds lick your converter took a hit from storm as it controls your DC. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
water heater can be propane or 120v
The propane mode requires 12v for the control system (direct Spark Ignition, flame detection, propane solenoid, etc.) Only the real old pilot-light models could run with no voltage supply at all.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power