Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #1

Plugging into shore power for the first time

I just bought a 2022 Geo pro FD and now a couple of days later I connected it to external 120V with the supplier power adapter and an external extension cord going to the house. Now I have a small fan running near what seems to be the heater (under the refrigerator) all the time. Is this normal? It certainly is not the heater fan that comes on strongly when I move the thermostat control to the right and turns off after a while when I click it completely to the left.

This fan (blowing air out of the box under the refrigerator) runs all the time while the external 120V is connected.

Should I be worried ? The only thing I can think is that it's a fan in the inverter. Maybe it happens in all Geo Pro FDs.
hankv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankv View Post
I just bought a 2022 Geo pro FD and now a couple of days later I connected it to external 120V with the supplier power adapter and an external extension cord going to the house. Now I have a small fan running near what seems to be the heater (under the refrigerator) all the time. Is this normal? It certainly is not the heater fan that comes on strongly when I move the thermostat control to the right and turns off after a while when I click it completely to the left.

This fan (blowing air out of the box under the refrigerator) runs all the time while the external 120V is connected.

Should I be worried ? The only thing I can think is that it's a fan in the inverter ?
Sounds like the converter cooling fan. Try turning the battery disconnect to take the battery off line. If the fan stops then that should indicate the converter is the source of the sound.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:06 PM   #3

I bet your battery(s) are being charged at the moment and that fan you hear is from the converter charging the battery(s).

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:07 PM   #4

emm-dee beat me to the punch. LOL

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies. This is probably it. When the outside power is on the batteries display 100% charge (??) but when it's not they show probably 35%. So, they must be charging and the converter is cooling itself. I'll try the battery disconnect next but it's dark and cold outside now - so tomorrow (haha)
hankv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:15 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

There could also be a large 12volt load on the system besides a low battery.

Perhaps the tank heater switch was left on.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankv View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. This is probably it. When the outside power is on the batteries display 100% charge (??) but when it's not they show probably 35%. So, they must be charging and the converter is cooling itself. I'll try the battery disconnect next but it's dark and cold outside now - so tomorrow (haha)
When all lights are lit that does not mean 100%; it means "charging".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Display.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	266541  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Micro Monitor Panel Troubleshooting.pdf (149.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf KIB Monitor Panel M21 Wireing Diagram.pdf (51.2 KB, 13 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:04 AM   #8

If that fan keeps running, yes, you may just have a big load, but very often the batteries are already mostly used up. They are the big load and may not take or hold a good charge. Running the battery/batteries down to or below 11.9/12 volts takes a toll.

If these batteries were in the rig on a lot for length of time they may already be toast. Sales people are known to run em dead before charging and then not necessarily charging them well, at that.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, power, shore power