Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #1

Plugs wonít work

2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 372RD
Electric outlets in island and one wall outlet in kitchen quit working. Voltage meter shows no power getting to the outlets. GFI shows power coming to it and leaving it at 120v. Canít find a wiring diagram online and forest river says they do t have them (from the look of the bundles of wires underneath I can understand why!)

It works some days and other days it wonít. I am desperate to get this fixed before winter but canít get a mobile repair person to come out anytime soon.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
TravelnurseMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #2

I had several outlets lose power. Turned out to be the “out” wires from the GFCI in the bathroom. Just had to tighten the connections.

That outlet worked, but the outlets that were downstream of it didn’t.

Don’t know the actual wiring terms, so hopefully that makes sense

Try that.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:59 PM   #3

Do you have a ground fault receptacle? If so, push in the reset button. Do not know why it would be intermittent. Breaker?
Terry2608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:15 PM   #4

Thank yo so much. We will try that.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #5

We are tightening the wires from the GFI and will reset it. It’s a mystery to us as to why it works some days and then stops working. We have been stationary for 12 weeks so I’m not thinking anything was jiggled loose but I’m a nurse and definitely not an electrician. I am 100% clueless when it comes to this stuff. I am willing to try any suggestion and am grateful for your advice.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #6

Let us know if tightening the GFI wires work or not. If not I think you may have a bigger problem. Basically the typical RV outlet is a piece of junk. The GFI's are normal household units and are generally OK.

The typical RV outlets the wires are attached by press fitting them into "V" shaped terminals then a cover is snapped over them. It is not uncommon for the connections to loosen over time from either vibrations traveling, or the heating and cooling from use. Thats why they may become intermittent.

There is no good way to check for this. You can remove the outlets from the wall and try to pop the back cover off. You may find a lose, corroded or damaged wire. But you need to find this. Intermittent electrical connections are dangerous.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:56 PM   #7

Sorry, trying to get images off FaceBook. Uhg. This is a bad RV outlet.

Jim M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad_outlet_front.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	280146   Click image for larger version

Name:	bad_outlet_back.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	280147  
Old 10-06-2022, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post

Jim M.
Thanks Jim,
It didnít help to tighten the wires at the GFI. We already had the outlets replaced thinking it might be the problem but of course, that didnít work either.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:50 PM   #9

Do you think it is a good idea to crawl in the “basement” and check all the connections to see if they are loose?
Old 10-06-2022, 10:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelnurseMB View Post
Thanks Jim,
It didnít help to tighten the wires at the GFI. We already had the outlets replaced thinking it might be the problem but of course, that didnít work either.
Which outlets did you replace? The GFI outlets? Or the press fit outlets? If you replaced the press fit outlets what and how did you do that?

You can crawl in the basement, but if I found your proper floor plane the kitchen is not next to the basement so you won't see anything. You could pull down the cover under the trailer assuming it has one to take a peek. That could be a hassle to do.

Jim M.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelnurseMB View Post
Thanks Jim,
Itís not necessarily the GFCI outlet that needs it. You have to track down the wires without power. I used a circuit tester and ran it along the wires until I found the culprit. The loose connection wires happened to be easily accessible behind a drawer, so I realized they came out of the bathroom outlet. It all depends on how they ran the wiring, if thatís the issue youíre having.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:41 PM   #12

As a troubleshooting procedure, With all power off, start at the GFI outlet, remove it and inspect it to assure the connections are tight. I always use the screw terminals as the stab types are sure to fail at one point or another. Every outlet should be pulled out and inspected. If there are any signs of heating or discoloration, replace them.

Our house was built in 1979. Some 20 years passed and I have replaced every outlet and every switch due to the fact they used the stab-in type connections. While legal, they are not reliable.

I did the same thing in our TT. Pull them all out, tossed them in the trash, and installed new good quality outlets. I used the provided screw terminals to install them.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post

Jim M.
What a piece of junk! Plus clearly used for an excessive current application. Luckily the darn thing did not set something on fire.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
What a piece of junk! Plus clearly used for an excessive current application. Luckily the darn thing did not set something on fire.

Bob
As far as I know those are the standard outlets used in trailers. Not my pictures, was looking for an example. But you see how they are built and connected. From what I've read, its not uncommon for the "stabs" to loosen up and lose grip on the wires.

Jim M.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #15
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post

Bob
X2. Those things are cheap chinese crap. How they meet code is beyond me. I've replaced all of mine with Levitons from Home Depot. It took two types of boxes (both 8 cu. in shallow and side entry), along with some fenagling and a few choice expletives, but it can be done.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:05 PM   #16

Crawled in the basement and found a wire that was barely connected. Turned off all power bought a wire connector at Home Depot. Screwed it on and now it works. Just have to wait and see if thatís a temporary fix or if was the whole problem! Fingers crossed.

Tags
electric