Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #1

Portable Gen Question

Here is my question. I have a 2008 cardinal. I have 2 15000 btu AC one in bed room one in living area. I want to buy a good genny to run one AC at a time my TV and satellite of course, also the refrigerator. The water heater I will run on gas. maybe the microwave if I shut off the AC oh cant forget the coffee pot. what would be the minimum watt genny I would need?
wayne nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #2

Some will say you can get by on a 2kw generator but probably only after a several hundred dollar modification to the A/C unit. Even then you'll be working the generator to the max.

I would suggest a 3500 watt Inverter type generator and then you won't have to switch off the converter so you can also take advantage of some battery charging while running the AC. Ditto for the coffee pot.

Lots of good choices among the 3500 watt inverters. I have one installed on my back bumper so no lifting or bothering with two small generators I have to unload separately, connect in parallel, and then have to refuel two instead of one. Mine's dual fuel and will run up to 15 hours on a 20# tank of propane.

Total cost of inverter, carrier platform, and bumper reinforcement struts, was a lot less than the price of two Honda 2kw inverter generators with parallel kit. (about $500 less).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #3

I was also wondering about the inverter type gen set. thanks for the info and suggestions.
wayne nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne nichols View Post
I was also wondering about the inverter type gen set. thanks for the info and suggestions.

The inverter gensets is what you should have for clean power. Clean sine wave power is essential for componets in the RV as well as personal electronics. Not to mention the peace of mind of your CG neighbor.

I agree. A 3000 - 3500 watt genset will be more that sufficient to run 1 A/C and other stuff without overworking the genny. And they hold more gas than the smaller ones.

For the amount of times we boondock (not many) or in case of a TV breakdown and we're stranded for awhile, I went to Harbor Freight and bought their Predator 3500 watt inverter generator. Just as quiet as Hondas 3000 at one third the price. Last price I saw on sale was $689.

I put in the bed of the truck behind the cab in front of the FW hitch and chained it (my toneau cover also hides it when not hitched). Broke it in in the bed of my truck and with cover open & tailgate closed, I could hardy hear it run while sitting under the awning!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #5

I bought the twin to the harbor freight 3500 inverter type. I bought the Powerhorse from norther tool. Camping at the nascar track and my old (15 years) wen power pro couldn't handle it. I have a lot of hours on that generator but I was using more oil than gas and could sustain the voltage under a load anymore. I'm super impressed with the powerhorse. I bought it Friday night and it has only been off to fill it with gas. The guy beside me told me I could run it all night long. Said he couldn't hear it in his camper. I'm running the outside and inside fridge, 15k AC, and a couple TVs. I shut the air off to run the microwave.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some will say you can get by on a 2kw generator but probably only after a several hundred dollar modification to the A/C unit. Even then you'll be working the generator to the max.

I would suggest a 3500 watt Inverter type generator and then you won't have to switch off the converter so you can also take advantage of some battery charging while running the AC. Ditto for the coffee pot.

Lots of good choices among the 3500 watt inverters. I have one installed on my back bumper so no lifting or bothering with two small generators I have to unload separately, connect in parallel, and then have to refuel two instead of one. Mine's dual fuel and will run up to 15 hours on a 20# tank of propane.

Total cost of inverter, carrier platform, and bumper reinforcement struts, was a lot less than the price of two Honda 2kw inverter generators with parallel kit. (about $500 less).
I like that setup, can you tell me where you got that bumper mount? I probably won't need the reinforcements because I don't plan on leaving the genny there while underway.

Thanks!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
I like that setup, can you tell me where you got that bumper mount? I probably won't need the reinforcements because I don't plan on leaving the genny there while underway.

Thanks!
I got the bumper mount on Amazon. One I ordered included a 24" x 24" platform but the company that builds these sells only mount arms and they can be finished with plywood decks for less money.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
The inverter gensets is what you should have for clean power. Clean sine wave power is essential for componets in the RV as well as personal electronics. Not to mention the peace of mind of your CG neighbor.

I agree. A 3000 - 3500 watt genset will be more that sufficient to run 1 A/C and other stuff without overworking the genny. And they hold more gas than the smaller ones.

For the amount of times we boondock (not many) or in case of a TV breakdown and we're stranded for awhile, I went to Harbor Freight and bought their Predator 3500 watt inverter generator. Just as quiet as Hondas 3000 at one third the price. Last price I saw on sale was $689.

I put in the bed of the truck behind the cab in front of the FW hitch and chained it (my toneau cover also hides it when not hitched). Broke it in in the bed of my truck and with cover open & tailgate closed, I could hardy hear it run while sitting under the awning!

OK....Finally got a chance to put the Predator to the test in a "real life" situation. Power went out at our home resort due to a thunder storm. Power rarely goes out here so I waited about 45 minutes before deciding it wasn't a simple resetable breaker on the power company grid. Still being warm, humid & getting dark, I decided to put the genset to the test. Fired it up, plugged in the RV and she ran one 15K A/C (cycling off & on), fans, lights, 2 Tv's, satellite receivers etc. without a hitch producing a steady 121 volts for 3 hours & 45 minutes when the power came back on.
So, I can say the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 passed its' first test with flying colors!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote