Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #21

I just had the same problem as above. We were camping over Labor Day. I put the awning up to come home. There had been rain the night before so after we got home, I tried to open the awning to let it dry. There was no noise at all when I pushed the button to open it. It is like it just died. Can't find the fuse in the main panel or anywhere easy to get to. Any help out there?
michaeldente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #22

My dealer said during our demo that the fuse is in the awning area itself somewhere at the top right when looking from the side. Sorry but that is as much detail as I know. I'm sure someone else will come along with more info.

Ate you sure you have the battery disconnect connected (since you drove home and parked it)?
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #23

Thanks, that might help. I tried to open the awning a little from the top but it is very tightly held against the top rail. We did reconnect the shore power after we got home. It is working as the outlets work and the lights come on. Any other help will be greatly welcomed.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
Traveling Two

Electric Awning

Our FRTT SP-220 is back in the shop for related to the electric awning. Shortly after receipt, the awning would not extend, so a new motor was installed. On our last trip (trailer only 3 months old), the awning was retracted but would not extend later that same day.

It is back in the shop to determine the problem, so I don't know yet, but I suspect another bad motor.

I was lucky that the awning was in and not out when it wouldn't work. Couldn't find a fuse so going to be interested in what they find.

Anyone else having similar problems with their awning?
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldente View Post
Thanks, that might help. I tried to open the awning a little from the top but it is very tightly held against the top rail. We did reconnect the shore power after we got home. It is working as the outlets work and the lights come on. Any other help will be greatly welcomed.
My power awning fuse is in a pigtail located behind the power center.

Remove the screws that hold it in and then slide it out.
You might have run out of DC fuse locations in the front like mine did.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Merged two "awning not working" threads and moved to electrical section as it applies across the board.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #27

Oh gee, thanks.
I am brand new to this forum and I have no idea how to just take off and fly off to a new forum and pick up where I left off. I was just getting an idea of where to look for my problem.

Don't you want folks to find out how to fix these annoying problems?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...It is working as the outlets work and the lights come on. Any other help will be greatly welcomed.
Do you mean the awning is working now?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #29

No, it is not. I was hoping everyone would keep giving me clues until I solved the problem. Now I have no idea where this thread went. I am just as lost now as I was before.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
No, it is not. I was hoping everyone would keep giving me clues until I solved the problem. Now I have no idea where this thread went. I am just as lost now as I was before.
The thread is in the Forest River Forums > Forest River Tech Talk > General Tech and Repair > Electrical, Charging Systems & Solar
power awning not working

Did you find a fuse? Herk said his was behind the control panel which you would have to remove 4 screws and gently pull the unit out being careful with all the wires and there are a lot of them.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #31

I am going to go out to where I keep the camper tomorrow and try to find this panel and fuse. I am not a forum savvy camper. I do not know where the "electrical section" is. Hopefully you can help direct me there?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I am going to go out to where I keep the camper tomorrow and try to find this panel and fuse. I am not a forum savvy camper. I do not know where the "electrical section" is. Hopefully you can help direct me there?
The thread is in the Forest River Forums > Forest River Tech Talk > General Tech and Repair > Electrical, Charging Systems & Solar
power awning not working
Old 09-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens
Please make sure you replace the switch as well. Otherwise you may have the same issue soon.
Shop replaced both motor and switch..under warranty... Hoping that solves the problem for now and future.. Also managed getting monitor for back up camera replaced and propane detector/alarm... Also covered.

Really glad we insisted they throw in the extended warranty when we bought our 2011 Sunseeker with just 6000 miles.
new to us RV owners April 2012
2012- 100+ days camping + Panama cruise
2013- 60 nights in our RV so far (as of Aug 1)
cllecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Grape Escape

Glad my old manual awning works every time. Progress??
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #35
Traveling Two

My TT is still in the shop. They have not yet communicated the problem why my awning will not extend (second time with same problem). First time it was a burned out motor. I should know the reason next week at which time I will communicate the results.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Glad my old manual awning works every time. Progress??
My power awning worked everytime on our 08 for 5 yrs and now our 2012 works everytime so far from sitting in a chair, thanks to the f1100turbo, Herk and RJHuser.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #37
Traveling Two

Just picked up our TT from the shop. Yes, another motor was burned up and had to be replaced. They don't know why they keep burning up but this was the second and hopefully the last. The dealership has been really good about getting the replacement approval from FR
Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #38
Coachmen Adrenaline

They/you need to replace the switch with a new one from Dometic. One of the older version switches would stick and would keep the motor running even after the awning was fully retracted or extended, which eventually burns out motor. Hopefully whoever fixed it has done this switch replacement for you and things will be good.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
Traveling Two

Thanks for the advice. I checked with the repair shop and they did check the switch multiple times to see if there was a problem with a sticky switch and said that none existed. I am going to run my awning in/out as often as I think about it while we are home to ensure that we have not future problems.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #40
Traveling Two

Strangely enough, I ran the awning back in yesterday and the switch actually stuck a little before it popped by up so there may be actually something "sticky" about the switch which burns out the motor. Seems to be that there would be a fuse that would blow before the motor does. I noted that an early note said that a fuse was behind the fuse panel, but that really doesn't matter if the motor burns up before the fuse blows.

Tags
awning