Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #1

Power inverter thought/ question

Ok so we are very new to the whole solar power stuff and would like to do tons more boondocking but my question is. Can you replace the factory 1000watt inverter in the epro and geo pro with say a 4000watt inverter so you can power your A/C. And what else would you need to do to power the A/C off the inverter?
Bbouch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbouch84 View Post
Ok so we are very new to the whole solar power stuff and would like to do tons more boondocking but my question is. Can you replace the factory 1000watt inverter in the epro and geo pro with say a 4000watt inverter so you can power your A/C. And what else would you need to do to power the A/C off the inverter?
More battery storage...

A/C will pull about 2000watts for a 13500btu unit... (15amps at 120volts)

Amps x Volts = Watts

Or

Watts / Volts = Amps

So...

A 2000watt load (microwave, toaster, hairdryer or air conditioner) will require about 170 amps of 12v power...

If you have 200 amp/hours worth of battery storage, that's only 1 hour of A/C operation before your batteries are FLAT.

Microwave ovens and the like, don't run for very long, so they won't draw down the batteries as much.

So...

In order to run your life while Boondocking you'll need enough solar and wind (don't forget wind) to generate over 170 amps of 12v power during the day, and enough to replenish the batteries when you aren't running the AC.

I'd be looking at 3000w of solar with 600w of wind. (Or more)
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
You would have to pull a separate trailer for amount of batteries it would require, to run the a/c through an inverter.
I think you need to do more research regarding what you can and can't run on 12v battery power only.
Solar doesn't run anything directly, the batteries do.
If you want to run the a/c without shore power, your only true option, is using an inverter generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
I was able to power my 15K A/C with my Samlex EVO-2212 Inverter/Charger. The Samlex EVO series Inverters have a surge capability of 3X its continuous power rating.

With the summer hot weather, I have experimented with using the A/C with the inverter. A few problems came up.
  1. High Amperage. The A/C used about 125 amps. (12.5v*125a=1,562.5W) Even if I had 725 solar watts, I could only replace about 50 amps.
  2. Heat. An inverter produces heat. I had to install a cooling fan to keep the inverter from overheating in the storage compartment.
  3. Battery capacity. I could only run the A/C for about two hours before dropping my Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries below 50%.
  4. Generator. I still need the generator to recharge the batteries. More heat from the charger.

Conclusion: I would need over 2,000 watts of solar to keep up with an A/C. For the times I will need the A/C, I will use the generator or plug-in.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #5

Also remember you’ll have to run a heavier battery cable too, probably 4/0 is my guess
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #6

I thought battleborns could go to 0% and that's why they were so much better than FLA?.....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trksr View Post
Also remember you’ll have to run a heavier battery cable too, probably 4/0 is my guess
I am using 4/0 AWG and a 400 amp fuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I thought battleborns could go to 0% and that's why they were so much better than FLA?.....
I wanted to keep a 50% reserve for other electrical appliances like my CPAP. Most of the need for an A/C is in the evening when the sun is going down. I need to have a battery power for fans, CPAP, & lights until the sun comes back up.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #8

Hi,

This is where you have to go for long time use of your air...

Saw this at Quartzsite -- a guy who IIRC does solar installations -- seems to have enough to run his air. (You can see a supplemental window unit on his slide.) Every possible horizontal and tiltable surface covered in panels...

But I'm betting the floor of the trailer is almost solid batteries.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180202_093032.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	212182  
richp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power