Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #1

Power Shedding and installing inverter

I have been researching the Precision Circuits power shedding feature that is on some of the FR product lines. This allows you to run 2 A/C units on 30 Amps and the system sheds power as needed. Question I have is this. If I want to add an inverter that will power everything but the A/C units does this system make it more complicated to install? Normally I would use a Victron Multiplus that has 2 AC outs. One output is no-break and the second is only live when AC power at the mains are present. Does the power shedding make the design more difficult?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #2

I run my 3660 on 30 Amps, with both 15K AC's going. What I found is the draw is close to 3000 watts with the inverter. Don't know is the watts help, but gives you some idea how much both 15K units draw when cooling.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Whenever seeking help you need tell us the year, make and model of your RV, if you need help with an appliance, tell us it's make and model.

The power shedding device controls high amp draw items. In my TT only controls the fireplace as far as I know. The micro and fireplace are connected to it. If you have the fireplace going then turn on the micro it will shut down the fireplace. Once the micro is finished the fireplace is able to run but I need to turn it back on. I don't know for certain but it may also control the 120v element for the water heater.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #4

The systems I have seen were usually simple. Like the microwave or heater etc.

I always thought the rv’s are getting too complex as is. KISS

We have a large fifth wheel with a washer and dryer. One time the DW overloaded the, 100 amps and blew the post breaker one summer in Houston. I thought that was impossible!

She is a master running stuff carefully on 30 amp sites which are our favorites!

She has never overloaded one. Does the balancing act well.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Whenever seeking help you need tell us the year, make and model of your RV, if you need help with an appliance, tell us it's make and model.

The power shedding device controls high amp draw items. In my TT only controls the fireplace as far as I know. The micro and fireplace are connected to it. If you have the fireplace going then turn on the micro it will shut down the fireplace. Once the micro is finished the fireplace is able to run but I need to turn it back on. I don't know for certain but it may also control the 120v element for the water heater.

Thanks Scrapper. This is a general question about the power shedding. No particular model or even particular appliance.

Tags
inverter, power