Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #81
MI Camperz

We've been using our 30 amp Progressive Power Surge thingy about a month now and so far so good. It was easy to install ---- just plug it in....and has been very reliable. Thanks again to everyone who steered us into getting one in the first place and what the best units are.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #82

Just bought/ordered a Portable 30-amp Surge Protector with Voltage Protection - Progressive Industries Inc $265.75 sale at camping world on line
Mike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #83
10x

What is the difference in surge protectors, I have seen prices vary from 70 to 500 bucks? Realistically what do I need for my TT? I have never used one on my previous 2 other trailers. Do I need to spend big bucks on one?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
What is the difference in surge protectors, I have seen prices vary from 70 to 500 bucks? Realistically what do I need for my TT? I have never used one on my previous 2 other trailers. Do I need to spend big bucks on one?
Good question!

There are protectors that will get rid of (most) "spikes" (such as those induced by lightening). You probably have your computer at home plugged into a cheap one of those. RV versions cost ~$100. They're really not sufficient for your needs.

Next you have Energy Management Systems. They will protect your RV from mis-wired pedestals and from over-voltage and under-voltage "surges" by refusing to turn on the power in your RV until the problem is rectified. They cost in the $250-$350 range (50-amp service more than 30).

But if you have low voltage (because a poorly-wired park can't support the air-conditioner load), the last thing you may want is for your EMS to keep the power turned off in your RV (even if it is protecting your AC from damage). A solution to that is a "voltage booster" which will raise the voltage to an acceptable level. You can buy them to install before your EMS system, or you can buy them which have both EMS and voltage-boost function in the same box. Now you're talking some serious bucks.

In my opinion, you need an EMS. Whether or not you need voltage-boost depends on when and where you camp.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #85
Site Team - Lou

An EMS would have prevented this:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post394974
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #86
Love My Sunseeker

One time I had the Progressive Industries unit. It was 90 degrees and I stupidly had the water heater on electric while running the A/C. OVERLOAD. Surge Protector went POOF, but no damage to my RV.

The next one I bought was the Camping World one. It was tres expensive, but it had a readout of how many amps you were pulling. Good feature. It also had a 2 minute delay. When you first plug it in, it will keep power out of your unit for 2 minutes. Don't know what the point of that was. But, I was in a rainy area and rain got to it. I now have the Progressive Industries one again. Ordered off of Amazon.com.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
One time I had the Progressive Industries unit. It was 90 degrees and I stupidly had the water heater on electric while running the A/C. OVERLOAD. Surge Protector went POOF, but no damage to my RV.

The next one I bought was the Camping World one. It was tres expensive, but it had a readout of how many amps you were pulling. Good feature. It also had a 2 minute delay. When you first plug it in, it will keep power out of your unit for 2 minutes. Don't know what the point of that was. But, I was in a rainy area and rain got to it. I now have the Progressive Industries one again. Ordered off of Amazon.com.
It sounds like you had one of the PI "SSP" units before. Hopefully you got an "EMS" unit this time which has those features you liked in the "CW" one you had. Just curious though: since the first PI unit you had had a lifetime warranty, why didn't you just return it for replacement/repair?

The point of the 2-minute delay is to not fry your air-conditioning compressor if the power is turned back on after a fault before its had time to dissipate the pressure. Some AC systems don't need that delay and some do. (You can eliminate it if you don't need it.)
Old 06-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #88
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Good question!

There are protectors that will get rid of (most) "spikes" (such as those induced by lightening). You probably have your computer at home plugged into a cheap one of those. RV versions cost ~$100. They're really not sufficient for your needs.

Next you have Energy Management Systems. They will protect your RV from mis-wired pedestals and from over-voltage and under-voltage "surges" by refusing to turn on the power in your RV until the problem is rectified. They cost in the $250-$350 range (50-amp service more than 30).

But if you have low voltage (because a poorly-wired park can't support the air-conditioner load), the last thing you may want is for your EMS to keep the power turned off in your RV (even if it is protecting your AC from damage). A solution to that is a "voltage booster" which will raise the voltage to an acceptable level. You can buy them to install before your EMS system, or you can buy them which have both EMS and voltage-boost function in the same box. Now you're talking some serious bucks.

In my opinion, you need an EMS. Whether or not you need voltage-boost depends on when and where you camp.
Good info thanks. Next question, which one do I buy without spending a million bucks and still give me protection? Most of our camping trips are weekends in FL state parks.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #89

Jumping in with two questions.

1) Why didn't the dealer try to sell me one of these, or explain why I needed it?

2) The PDF file of instructions for the one mentioned above mentions cutting the power cord wire at the head and wiring this in. Yet someone above said "I just plugged it in". Where does it plug in at? How easy is it?
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #90
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Jumping in with two questions.

1) Why didn't the dealer try to sell me one of these, or explain why I needed it?

2) The PDF file of instructions for the one mentioned above mentions cutting the power cord wire at the head and wiring this in. Yet someone above said "I just plugged it in". Where does it plug in at? How easy is it?
1 surprised he didn't. Wants to sell parts?
2There's both plug in and hardwired.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #91

The manual for every unit I see starts the instructions with "Cut the power cord....."
What is the model number of the one that plugs in? Where does it plug in?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #92
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/catalog.htm

Plugs in at the power pedestal.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #93
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Just curious though: since the first PI unit you had had a lifetime warranty, why didn't you just return it for replacement/repair?

I didn't think LIFETIME WARRANTY applied to...... "I was stupid for having the water heater on electric and running the A/C at the same time."

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

I didn't think LIFETIME WARRANTY applied to...... "I was stupid for having the water heater on electric and running the A/C at the same time."
I don't think that's stupid at all. No one is going to know what combinations will overload the breaker. The point is that the circuit breaker did open and the unit should have been (and probably was) designed not to be fried by something that was protected by the breaker. Just another of those life experiences we all get to enjoy.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #95

So, the PT30C is what I need????
Old 06-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #96

Thinking about this one.....thoughts Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - 30 Amp - TRC 34730-003 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #97

I was going to order that one but changed my mind to the EMS PT 30C. Just because it looked clean, has the little metal clip for theft and was the same price. Since everyone has good things to say about both it was just pick the one that I felt better about.
Mike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
That one has a 1 year warranty and is made overseas somewhere.

The Progressive Industries units are Made In USA and have a Lifetime Warranty.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #99
Denver, CO

Quote:
That one has a 1 year warranty and is made overseas somewhere.

The Progressive Industries units are Made In USA and have a Lifetime Warranty.
X2
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #100

X3. Love the PI EMS unit.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote