Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2021, 07:54 PM   #1

Poweroad LiFePO4 Batteries

Does anyone have experience with, or can comment on, these batteries?

https://www.poweroad.com/lithium-deep-cycle-battery/

My local battery store (Polar Battery in Vancouver, BC) says they've opened them up and they all look good - they also carry ReLion but these are a few hundred cheaper.

Here is a video from the manufacturer:

Thanks in advance!
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #2
Always Learning

Have never heard of them but that doesn't mean they're bad. What's the price on them?
Old 06-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #3

Thanks for replying!

They are $1350.00 CAD and have a heating element as well as bluetooth. The ReLions that they carry are $1450.00 but have no bluetooth or heating element.

I've looked at batteryplus and they have 170ah Renogies for sale and with shipping - and for two of them, it comes to $1,000 CAD each - almost twice the amp hours .... not sure what to do at this point
Old 06-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #4
Always Learning

Battle Born Batteries are a known maker and looking like they're only $900. Don't know what shipping north of the border looks like, though:

https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...cycle-battery/

I have 4 BB lithiums in my setup now and love it.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #5

On paper, this battery looks like it would work fine. The differentiators would be the quality of the BMS and BMS firmware, overall build quality, and availability of support and warranty which are all unknown with this manufacturer.

Also, if my conversion to CAD is correct, this is actually more expensive than a $1049 USD heated 100Ah Battleborn. Granted, the Battleborn BMS does not support Bluetooth, but if Bluetooth monitoring is important to you, you can always install a Victron SmartShunt. Personally, this is the way I would go.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #6

Thanks everyone, I ended up grabbing the Renogies at Battery Hookup.

2x Renogy 12V 170Ah LifePo4 Battery for $1,499.98USD plus an extra 5% off with the code SOLAR

Battle Born I cannot find in Canada and with border restrictions, shipping to Washington and picking up from a PO box, won't work.

Thanks again
Old 06-08-2021, 06:49 PM   #7

Build your own. Cheaper and more AH for the money

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...%2315608%23161
767driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #8

I am not qualified for that kind of DIY at this point...not enough free time, i'd rather hang out with my little kids than teach myself how to build batteries...sounds like something i will do later on in life though!
Old 06-08-2021, 08:16 PM   #9

Like I posted in another thread recently, the devil is in the Technical Details. The Powerroad batteries look good until you get down to the charging spec's. Recommended charge rate is only 20 amp or .2 C. Max continuous rate is only 60 amp or .6 C.

Battleborn batteries, for example, have a recommended charge rate of .5 C and can be charged up to 1 C max. This can make a big difference in generator run time when that's necessary.

Also note that their expected lifetime cycles are only 60% of the minimum for most other LiFePo4 batteries.

For some reason they also show a max of four batteries in parallel. Wonder why as each have their own BMS and the parallel connection is just drawing from, or feeding, a common bus with each battery managing it's own charge or load. Series connections are more problematic due to cell balance but not, as a rule, for parallel.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:33 PM   #10

Thank you TitanMike

Seems I dodged a bullet then. Fingers crossed the Renogies will be up to snuff.

Battle borns have such a good reputation, especially with all the reviews Will Prowse does on them. Too bad I can't get my hands on them locally.

I think for now the two 170ah Renogies together with ~400 watts solar and 30a charge controller paired up with a 2000 or 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter will take care of the 12v fridge and other random items. We are energy misers when we boondock and don't really have many AC devices that we rely on when camping (C-Paps, toasters, microwaves, tv's etc) That size inverter is more than enough.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #11

Prices are coming down. I just bought a battery from reBel battery at a good price. This is a USA brand, made in China like most of the LIFEPO4 batteries out there. USA support.
SPECS for 200AH battery
Weight: 48 lbs
Dimensions: 20 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ x 9 1/4″ (LWH)
12.8V nominal voltage
Connect in series, up to 4 for 24/36/48V systems
Connect in parallel, up to 16 for 40,960 Watts
150 Amp max continuous charge/discharge
Create 12-48 Volt Storage Systems
Automatic system cell balancing
Temperature monitoring (high and low cut-off)
Current Monitoring (over current protection)
Low Voltage protection (BMS protect at 10V)

I believe (from memory) it is an Over Kill BMS (well known respected brand) with BlueTooth. The BMS is user controllable which means you can manipulate all the settings (not recommended). You can also set alarms to warn you regarding the health of the battery. Price for 200AH 899.00 USD.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, power