Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

Predator 3500 inverter generator - do you ground it?

Just got out first Predator 3500 inverter generator. I am working on getting it set up and ready, should we need to use it. Going thru the instructions, the first item on the list, is that the "generator must be properly grounded"..to a grounding rod..."

I did not expect that, so I am a bit thrown off.
Do any of you ground your genies? Is this a must?
Old 03-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Site Team

I do not ground mine. It is unlikely that many people do as a "proper ground" requires a full length ground rod driven all the way into the ground. This means you will never get it out so not only will you need many of them, but the area will be littered with metal protrusions.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #3

You are supposed to but I have never actually seen anyone do this. Curious if someone does and how easy it is to undo.
I would in a more permanent installation where we dont move.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

Try this, works with my Predator

Southwire Company LLC 44400 Surge Guard Generator Neutral
Nelsflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsflying View Post
Try this, works with my Predator

Southwire Company LLC 44400 Surge Guard Generator Neutral
That is a neutral-ground bonding plug. It will make an ems work with a generator that has a floating neutral but it does not ground the generator properly.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

Here is an article you might read

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...onding-basics/
Old 03-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #7

Here is a YouTube video that may help
Old 03-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #8

A proper ground is a very long rod for several reasons, and for a temporary ground, they may not apply.

Clearly, the length and composition of the rod for a permanent installation is critical. Corrosion and other factors can deteriorate the "connection" of a ground rod with "earth" over time.

None of the following meets code, but neither does running the generator without a ground, which most of us do. The following may keep the task manageable and give you some piece of mind.

For a temporary installation, one can buy a copper spike (for gutter installation), pass it through a crimp on eyelet on the end of your ground wire, drive it into the ground and pour water on the spike to improve the connection.
Gutter Spike: https://www.kmsheetmetal.com/shop/Co...rule-p56579208

A more robust installation would be an electric fence ground rod...about 3' long. This would be reusable many times. Just permanently attach the ground wire to the rod before hammering it into the ground. https://www.nemtek.co.za/equineandpe...pper-clad.aspx

In softer soils, a length of 1/2" copper water pipe would do the job.

If you happen to drive a spike into a tree root so you can't retrieve it, simply cut the eyelet off the end of the wire and drive the spike further into the ground for safety.

WARNING: Copper driven into a tree may kill or harm the tree, so do your best to not hit a root. https://www.hunker.com/13424362/how-...h-copper-nails

So, I haven't ever grounded my 2KW generator. I'm unsure of what the risk might be.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #9

A quick web search found the following. Note that grounding a portable generator can actually create a dangerous situation...

By: Stan Turkel.

Portable generators are useful for when temporary or remote power is needed. Knowing when to ground a generator is critical for operator safety. OSHA guidelines can keep you safe and help you avoid any electrical violations.

The principal function of the system ground, or grounding electrode, (ground rod), is lightning protection for equipment (NEC Article 250.4). Adding a ground rod to a portable generator introduces a shock hazard as can be seen in the illustration.
OSHA Grounding Requirements for portable and vehicle-mounted generators state the following:
Under the following conditions, OSHA directs (29 CFR 1926.404(f)(3)(i)) that the frame of a portable generator need not be grounded (connected to earth) and that the frame may serve as the ground (in place of the earth):
The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator and/or cord and plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator, § 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(A). The noncurrent-carrying metal parts of equipment (such as the fuel tank, the internal combustion engine, and the generator’s housing) are bonded to the generator frame, and the equipment grounding conductor terminals (of the power receptacles that are a part of [mounted on] the generator) are bonded to the generator frame, § 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(B).
Thus, rather than connect to a grounding electrode system, such as a driven ground rod, the generator’s frame replaces the grounding electrode.
If these conditions do not exist, then a grounding electrode, such as a ground rod, is required.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #10

Yes properly grounding any Portable Genset is a Requirement!I have seen people leave Gensets in the back of a pick-up box and have it connected to run a RV ,they do not realize that the Generator is isolated because of the rubber tires on the Tow Vehicle and RV. A single cable much like a Battery jumper cable size should be connected to the Genset metal frame at the grounding lug(most Gensets have this) to a grounding rod driven into the surrounding soil. The RV when plugged in will be grounded back to this thru the Plug ground . It will stop any stray current from causing a electrical shock , although all RV's now have Ground Fault Interrupter Receptacles that should trip should a ground fault occur on the RV . Driving in a ground rod provides a extra level of protection .
Sparkyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #11

Zowie.... Have you ever seen a portable generator grounded with an external ground? Me neither....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Zowie.... Have you ever seen a portable generator grounded with an external ground? Me neither....
Yeah, in the Army. We had a grounding kit that was an augur like rod that you could screw into the ground with an included "T" handle. Used them for both our small open frame gensets as well as our large 60KW trailer mounted units.

That was back in the mid-60's and a lot of our stuff like that dated back to WWII and the Korean War.

Now the ground rod kit is NSN 5975-00-878-3791 and comes in three pieces, one of which includes a drive lug. No mention of how you get it out of the ground or if it's just abandoned when you move on.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padua2 View Post
Just got out first Predator 3500 inverter generator. I am working on getting it set up and ready, should we need to use it. Going thru the instructions, the first item on the list, is that the "generator must be properly grounded"..to a grounding rod..."

I did not expect that, so I am a bit thrown off.
Do any of you ground your genies? Is this a must?
Padua2, unless you are setting the generator up to serve multiple RV's, you do not need to ground it with a grounding electrode, per National Electrical Code, If you want to use an EMS to monitor the output to your RV, you will need to Bond the Neutral to the Case Ground. Easiest done by using a 120V 15A plug and putting a jumper between the neutral and the ground terminals then just plug it into one of the generator's 15A outlets. If you are not using an EMS, it is not necessary to bond the Neutral and Ground on the Generator and it will still give you 120V power. Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #14

In the mid 90's we used 7' aluminum alloy ground rods (2ea. per truck) pounded in to the ground at a 45* angle till 4" were showing using a sledge hammer. Not Fun! We always slanted them toward the trucks that way you could hook a chain to them and pull them back out. The generators (5KW-10KW) used 3' copper rods that used a screw on slide hammer to install and remove. Right before I got out they were switching over to the Star System that used about 10 - 1' stakes all strung up to a copper cable that surrounded the trucks. I heard they were easier to install and remove. Let's just say now I have a lot of back problems!
And don't get me started on the net camouflage......

For those curious minds, I was a Mobile Subscriber Equipment Transmission Systems Operator.
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #15
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
No, when boondocking, my predator is in the back of my pickup. If I were to ground it, the best place would be to a product liability lawyer's leg.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:50 AM   #16

Sorry for being late to this game. I found this thread while wondering the very same thing. The instruction book with my Champion model #100478 clearly states the generator must be grounded. However, I found a page on Champion’s website that makes the final answer just as clear as the final consensus I’ve found from y’all’s answers. AAAARRRGGG!!!

P.S. My Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X indicated the open ground. I wouldn’t have given it a thought if I hadn’t used it.

http://help.championpowerequipment.c...n-my-generator
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, generator, inverter