Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
My whole house is a Square D.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CONA1OQ
Looks like that's an older product, looks like there's a newer model.

I also have a Progressive EMS, and when I was full-timing in our Monaco, we had a big storm come through, blew out 3 5ers, I heard estimates around $10k. My EMS took the hit, sounded like a chain saw, and Progressive covered that old one with the new model free of charge.

Here is the tree that got hit at my house, prompting me to put in the whole-house surge protector. I lost a lot of equipment, and yes I had a steaming squirrel on the ground. This was 5 years ago, this is what it looks like today.

You can still see the scar on the tree, same as ours.

Only difference is ours spiraled around the trunk on its way to the ground.

Those of you who doubt, no problem. I Truly hope you NEVER have to find out how wrong you can be.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #22

At that house I also had a black walnut the same size at the back of the property which got hit, and it was more spiraled.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #23

Good information (as of 2020).

-- Chuck
Old 08-23-2021, 07:39 PM   #24

Surge Protector

I have the portable Progressive Managemet system and use it every time. Until the last couple of years RV Parks were struggling and going out of business. Not the really big nice resort type places. But the smaller mom and pop parks. Money was tight and you could tell by looking that they were not keeping up with the maintenance needed. I did not want to plug in and ruin any electrical items! One of the first things I bought after seeing the all the problems they caused. I agree it has to be the timing. I always listen for the microwave chime to come on! Yes I can hear the electric power switch on also.
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #25

Just installed the PM 50 inside the 5th wheel. Working so far.
2dogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:12 PM   #26

The new 2020 National Electrical Code book requires that all new construction have surge suppression installed in the panel to protect the also required Arc Fault circuit breakers. RV's are a different beast and don't follow the NEC code book. An EMS/surge suppressor is still a good idea especially when dealing with 50 amp service on many new RV's. If you loose the neutral on a 30 Amp RV the result is obvious, no power. On 50 Amp RV's probable damage quite quickly. Cheap insurance.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:10 PM   #27
NXR

Progressive EMS 50 amp Question

Well, that first statement is a bit of BS.

States do not determine whether the NEC is adopted in a local jurisdiction. Each and every local jurisdiction has to legislatively adopt each and every revision to the NEC.

The "National Electric Code" is neither "national" nor a "code". It's a set of guidelines and suggestions promulgated by the National Fire Protection Association with a catchy name. Yes, it usually is adopted in part or in full but it's a totally local decision.

Due to the incremental, focused updates many jurisdictions opt to stay one revision back. Additionally, each jurisdiction can adopt portions only or change what they adopt.

ESFI should know better.

Ray
Old 08-23-2021, 10:30 PM   #28

The "Code" is also subject to the understanding (or misunderstanding) of the local inspector person who passes or fails the installation. My experience, especially with multi craft code inspectors, is that they seldom are well versed with the NEC recommendations and often only go with what they are familiar with regardless of which code cycle is involved. In the country things often don't even get inspected around here as there is no county inspectors just city inspectors.

I must admit that the way some of the code is written makes it possible to have multiple interpretations.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #29

Just a side note on the Progressive EMS. I had my first unit fill with water while hanging on the post. The rain would run down the cord and into the inside of the unit. Progressive replaced it, no problem, but I sealed the case, and drilled 2 small drain holes in the bottom of the case to allow drainage. No problems since. As for the initial problem of the OP's, my guess is the wait time after initial plug in.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #30

EMS

Check info on your EMS.
Mine needs to be plugged in for many seconds before it trips to allow power into rv.
Almost 3 minutes!
Banjo64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp, question