Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #1

Progressive EMS installed but E1

So I finished installing my new EMS as well as replaced the shove it in the hole shore power cable with a detachable model. I used the TT's original power cord and added the new twist on disconnect to it. I matched all the black to black, white to white and green or bare to green at every connection.

Plugged in the power cord to my 110 outlet (used an adapter) in the garage which I have on a switch. I had the DW flip the switch and as soon as the readout cycled through its first run it shows E1 along with correct power, 0 amps and 60 hz. I had her shut the switch off and for today I'm done (need to get more aspirin before I start checking things).

I'm positive I had all the connections matched up properly but I will pull them tomorrow and recheck. However, I am wondering - could it be the wall outlet in the garage? I have used this outlet for plugging in our TT's for years and never had any issues but I also never had anything that would have checked for correct power.

What do the resident experts think - could it be the outlet? Wouldn't that have caused issues in the past? I just want to get things right and button up everything so we can go camping!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
clr

Tomorrow I would check the garage outlet that you are plugging the RV into first. I would test the garage outlet first with a plug in type checker that would show you reversed polarity. They are available from Lowes and such for less then 10 dollars.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
SRN

E1 is the code for Reverse Polarity. I've lived in same home for 33 years. Have had RV's for past 20 years. Installed my first PI unit last spring, got the E1 code immediately. Bought the $10 checker at Lowe's, identified the problem, very quick fix.
SRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick response folks! And it was the answer I was hoping for - I will check the outlet tomorrow (I may even have one of the testers).
Old 02-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Amazingly to me, I found my plug in checker in about q minute and yes, it said hot & neutral were reversed. All other garage outlets show good and so I plugged the trailer shore power cable into another outlet and viola! E0 and after a few seconds the relay kicked on and the clock on the microwave said the trailer was powered up.

Thanks again! And yes, I will fix the outlet
Old 02-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #6

Glad you found the problem. Easy to resolve. This is more common than most realize, and most appliances will run fine on it. But it should be corrected as it is dangerous.

PS: I suggest you check every outlet in your house.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #7

So here is a follow on question to this - if I get to a CG someday that lights up an E1, do I flip the bypass switch and enjoy the power or do I say "fix this or give me a new spot"? I assume that if I flip the bypass switch that all the other checks the EMS performs will be shut off so that would expose me to surges, low power, etc.

WHat's the right thing to do?
Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #8

Reverse polarity at a campground is rare, but it does happen. Decision time for you, and you have the correct considerations in mind. The bypass switch does bypass all functions. Which is most important to you? Are there other good sites available? How difficult to move?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

On another note make several copies of your receipt. We have had issues with our and had to send it back. First time they fixed it, second time replaced it. It’s not working again and we cannot find a receipt. We’ve sent One twice and they will not honor our previous events.
Sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
So here is a follow on question to this - if I get to a CG someday that lights up an E1, do I flip the bypass switch and enjoy the power or do I say "fix this or give me a new spot"? I assume that if I flip the bypass switch that all the other checks the EMS performs will be shut off so that would expose me to surges, low power, etc.

WHat's the right thing to do?
At that point I would use my 50a to 30a dog bone adapter to see if that wiring checks out OK to use. I don't know if I would choose to bypass if I already know the wiring at the site is funky.
WNY_Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

From the PI website;

ByPass | This switch is located on the remote display and allows
the user to bypass the EMS in the event of failure, thus allowing
AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection
portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #12

I had the exact same thing happen when I installed my first EMS unit - reverse polarity on a 30A outlet on my garage where I had been plugging in for a couple of years. Quickly fixed, though. I also have to bypass my EMS whenever I am running on generator power - something about an inadequate ground (actually, no earth ground at all), I think.

But as already mentioned, bypassing the electronics does not disable the surge protection.
bobsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #13

to bob steele: I very much suspect that your grounding issue can be corrected with an 'edison plug'. there are tons of threads on the forum about how to construct an use this with a generator so that the EMS sees a properly grounded power source. the EMS wants to see a power supply that has the ground and neutral bonded (connected) at the service panel. many generators do not have the ground and neutral bonded at the generator. the EMS senses this an reports a faulty wiring situation. plugged the Edison plug into the generator connects the ground and neutral so that the EMS does not see a fault condition. as I said there are many. many posts about this with pictures of how to build this simple plug.

Tags
led