Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #1

Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C

A couple of noob questions

Its got that little loop intended for a lock. Doesn't seem like it would take much to cut through that so no point putting anything like a link chain, but what do you lock it "to"? I realize it's probably just around the post there, but about how long of... say a cable lock, would you need to make it around? Is it just like a 4x4 post?

Seems like a minute or so with a hack say would do it, or just cut off the upper plug and rewire it.. is there anything else out on the market to better secure it?

It says it's water resistant. When you plug in I would imagine there is some type of cubby protecting the park outlet. This thing kind of hangs down a bit. Will it still be protected or is there some tip or trick to keeping the lower connection point dry?

I found one for $266. Is that a decent price or does anyone know where to pick one up for less?

Thanks too for all the great information in all the other threads I perused through when making my choice.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #2

I would go with the hard wire.

Progressive Industries EMSHW30C Surge Protector by Progressive Industries http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050EGS5W/..._2m5aub1077T8Y

It will be weather protected and theft resistant installed inside your RV.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I would go with the hard wire.
I saw that. It's less expensive and all slick, but wouldn't fit my needs. Appreciate the info.

~Cheers
Old 08-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

I have a 20 inch chain and a 24 inch chain and some locks. I locked it up for a couple of years and said the heck with it the past two years. I don't think many people even know what they are. Rarely see them in the campgrounds. As for water proof, the first time I used it in the rain (was pouring outside) I stupidly was holding it plug side up and water got in and fried it when I plugged it in. I sent it back to Progressive and they put new guts in and shipped it back free of charge. I keep half a zip lock bag over the top half as cheap insurance. This is my 2nd trailer with the same EMS.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #5

Best price I could find was Lawrence RV Accessories Inc with free shipping.
riversedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #6

If you do go the progressive 30 on the pole, just cut the security tag off and buy a master lock (4pack) M1XQLF 1-1/2 length and 13/16 width pad lock. This lock will fit around the 30 amp cable and can only be removed by key. Ii use it with a long bike cable. to get my progressive or my 30 amp extentsion requires cutting power cable. If you have a removable shore power cable this lock helps it to stay around the coach when you are not. If you look at the back of the packages you could buy multiples of the same key cut.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #7

I have the 50 AMP version. Many times the shore power cover covers the connector and I just lock it. Other times I use a cable lock and the on board piece of tin. Not the best but if they want it they will get it anyway. I like the idea of the lock around the cable sounds better than what they provide.

Mine crapped out the first rain. Progressive dropped shipped me a new one and I shipped back the defective. Said they have improved gaskets. Rained on the new one a couple of times without issue. I also like the zip lock bag over the top suggestion.

Good luck

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #8

I wrap a cable lock around the post then finish by hooking it through the lock hole at the bottom of the breaker box on the pedestal. Most don't know what they are but the few that do or the curious criminals like to lift things that peek their curiosity.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:47 PM   #9

Gotta love FROG's

Great info and much appreciated!

I really like the lock around the cable and the zip lock ideas.... and MUCH thanks for the heads up about Lawrence RV. Lot of good comments about them around the web... and hey... $35 is a lot of burgers and beer

I owe you