Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #1

Progressive Industries HW50C Hardwired EMS Surge & Electrical Protection- 50 Amps

Had one of these installed by a qualified electrician and it worked perfectly on shore power, however while boon-docking, no power from any (tried 3 separate ones in our group) generator. No micro, lights, plug outlets, etc.
Back home and it works as it should plugged in to the house.

Called the number for mfg. assistance only to get a recording "Due to Covid" BS we are working from home" On hold for 10 minutes gave me another recorded message directing me to leave a brief description of the problem and I would be contacted within 24 hours. That was 72 hours ago and I haven't heard ZIP!
Obviously, NOT impressed with their customer service.

Any of you Musk/Tesla/Edison type members have any ideas/solutions?
Greatly appreciate anybody's input.
2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Here’s how an RV wires out.

I suggest your other sources aren’t meeting the layout shown here that your house outlet has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB08A6BB-1AAE-4C84-9A94-580B1F899E2D.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	263110  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #3

Not sure what use there is for a surge protector on a generator. Where would the "surge" come from? It's my impression it comes from the power grid.

Any of the generators pure sine wave?

-- Chuck
Old 09-20-2021, 12:08 PM   #4

I'm guessing none of your RV friends have an EMS.
Many articles/videos available for how to run generator with an EMS. Here is one: https://heartlandowners.org/threads/...and-ems.67925/

If your hard wired EMS doesn't have a bypass, you can install one or use the plug described to solve this common problem. There really is no need to run an EMS with an inverter generator, so I would opt for a bypass.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

What error code is the EMS displaying? If it's E2 you need one of these or you can make your own:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #6

Right, I have one and use one of the neutral bond plugs or just turn on the bypass when running on generator.
High Country Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #7

Well, I've discovered you're never to old to be inexperienced.

Seems all I have to do is move the remote switch to "bypass". DOH!
Live and learn, eh.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #8

gen. has an open ground, you can make your own ground plug to plug into the gen . to fix the problem .
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
Well, I've discovered you're never to old to be inexperienced.

Seems all I have to do is move the remote switch to "bypass". DOH!
Live and learn, eh.

Thanks everyone.
Don't beat yourself up, you will be surprised how many will have learned something here
Old 09-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #10

flipping the switch to bypass, defeat the purpose of a surge protector
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
flipping the switch to bypass, defeat the purpose of a surge protector
Yes it does but I think most big surges will come when you are hooked up to shore power, not a generator. Most bad wiring will be at campground power pedestals, or someone messing with a pedestal somewhere else in the campground.

A hard wired or plug in EMS is in line with the shore power cable, if you have an onboard generator the power will feed the coach via the transfer relay and not go through the EMS anyway.

I think other posts in this thread have suggested neutral bonding plugs so I am sure the OP will have a solution that will allow the coach to be powered from a generator and use the EMS without by-passing
Old 09-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Yes it does but I think most big surges will come when you are hooked up to shore power, not a generator. Most bad wiring will be at campground power pedestals, or someone messing with a pedestal somewhere else in the campground.

A hard wired or plug in EMS is in line with the shore power cable, if you have an onboard generator the power will feed the coach via the transfer relay and not go through the EMS anyway.

I think other posts in this thread have suggested neutral bonding plugs so I am sure the OP will have a solution that will allow the coach to be powered from a generator and use the EMS without by-passing
From the OP's profile he has a fifth wheel and not a motorhome. So he's plugging his shore power cable directly into the generator.

That explains the confusion to all of us with a motorhome, an onboard generator, and the same EMS.

2dogs, just be DARN sure you flip that switch back. I would put a big piece of paper in the compartment to remind you each time. No way would I just trust memory.

And congratulations on taking that extra step to install a real EMS.

Ray
Old 09-20-2021, 03:35 PM   #13

Progressive 50amp.

You need a neutral grounding plug, had the same issue with my generator and the same surge protector. I would bet this is your issue, guaranteed your your money back...lol.
Diverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #14

OP has discovered what he needs to do in post #7.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:51 PM   #15

The solution is in the manual for the ems plus this has been discussed so many times on this forum that a 2 second search should have solved the issue For those unfamiliar with this ems it does not indicate a problem with the generator connection. It simply cuts the power off with no error message. This is not unique to this ems. Any ems that checks for open ground or neutral will perform the same way. Bypass mode does not bypass the surge protection, it bypasses the circuit check, the surge protector cannot be bypassed.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
From the OP's profile he has a fifth wheel and not a motorhome. So he's plugging his shore power cable directly into the generator.

That explains the confusion to all of us with a motorhome, an onboard generator, and the same EMS.

2dogs, just be DARN sure you flip that switch back. I would put a big piece of paper in the compartment to remind you each time. No way would I just trust memory.

And congratulations on taking that extra step to install a real EMS.

Ray
Will do!
Thanks.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm guessing none of your RV friends have an EMS.
Many articles/videos available for how to run generator with an EMS. Here is one: https://heartlandowners.org/threads/...and-ems.67925/

If your hard wired EMS doesn't have a bypass, you can install one or use the plug described to solve this common problem. There really is no need to run an EMS with an inverter generator, so I would opt for a bypass.

Turning the bypass switch on the Remote Display off (moving the switch up) will get the EMS to stop monitoring the current and the generator will power the RV.

The Surge Protection is still operational.

One warning, be SURE to put the switch back to On before plugging into any other electrical source, because the EMS will not be protecting you if it is turned off.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:04 AM   #18

My sincere thanks to everyone for their comments.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #19

i don't think the root problem was ever identified. i'm also thinking that a neutral ground bonding plug is required. but what was the error code on the EMS? why spend the money for the protection and disable it by flipping the bypass switch? i'll guarantee there will be a time when the bypass switch does not get reset. then you would have no protection when on shore power. i'd rather leave the bypass switch alone and use the grounding plug on the generator.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
Had one of these installed by a qualified electrician and it worked perfectly on shore power, however while boon-docking, no power from any (tried 3 separate ones in our group) generator. No micro, lights, plug outlets, etc.
Back home and it works as it should plugged in to the house.
... .
I use the model EMS-HW30C in my motorhome, but your post got me curious. The only issue I could imagine was the lack of ground/neutral bonding associated with using an external generator. It's been a few years since I read the Instruction Manual, which upon retrieving I notice is titled Electrical Management System (EMS), EMS-HW30C & EMS-HW50C. The same manual for both units. Note page 3:
Warnings:
RV wiring is different than house wiring; in an RV, neutral and ground conductors are isolated whereas in a house they are bonded at the service panel. Therefore: never connect neutral and ground. The result will cause a ground fault condition, electric shock, and/or a fire hazard. This does not stop you from using a 'generator plug' that ties together neutral and ground as this is perfectly safe.”

… essentially an echo of what many folks here already stated.
Mobile Palace is a 25-ft Prism on a 2015 Sprinter with 200-watts roof solar.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." John Steinbeck
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp, electric, electrical, progressive industries, wire