Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #1

Question on Flagstaff Microlight 'solar ready' outlet

Hello all.
I have a 2020 Forest River Flagstaff Microlite 25BRDS which came with a 190W solar panel on the roof, a 30 amp Gopower controller, and one of those 'solar ready' outlets on the front. The roof panel works great in direct sunlight. However, we have a 12V fridge which seems to eat a ton of electricity, so I was hoping to supplement the fixed roof panel with a 50W portable I used on a previous trailer. I plugged the panel into the outlet on the front of the trailer, but it doesn't seem to be connected to the main controller. To prove this, I disconnected the roof panel, and plugged in the portable panel and the controller shows 0 amps in direct sun. I tested the output of the portable panel with a multimeter and it was about 19 volts. Couple questions....should this aux outlet also be connected to the controller? Can I have 2 panels connected to the controller? It seems like I would be well under the 30 amp capacity of the controller with 2.
Thanks,
Andy
ahofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
Someimes Re- member

My experience on a different TT, but with the same 190w panel and Go Power 30A PWM controller is that the SAE solar port on the side or front of your trailer is most likely wired indirectly to the battery, probably thru a circuit breaker, as is the output from the GP Solar Controller. Therefor, connecting your 50w panel to the Solar port, means your 50w panel will need it's own Solar Controller between the panel and the solar port for it to add any charge to your battery.
Old Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coyote View Post
My experience on a different TT, but with the same 190w panel and Go Power 30A PWM controller is that the SAE solar port on the side or front of your trailer is most likely wired indirectly to the battery, probably thru a circuit breaker, as is the output from the GP Solar Controller. Therefor, connecting your 50w panel to the Solar port, means your 50w panel will need it's own Solar Controller between the panel and the solar port for it to add any charge to your battery.
Hopefully someone with direct experience will chime in, but I have read on this forum that the "Z-Amp" (I think thats the brand) "Solar ready" connectors are semi-proprietary - in that they are made to work with their own brand of solar accessories. The connector itself is standard, but if I remember correctly, the wiring has the polarity reversed as compared to everyone else in the industry.

I will try to do some searching later and see if I can find the relevant threads.

edit: I can't find the post that I think I remember, but this one has a lot of good info on the subject: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...an-182787.html

edit #2: Here is one of the posts that I was remembering: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2123186

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:53 PM   #4

I have what sounds like the same set up but in a different Rockwood trailer. I believe that the side plug is wired to the battery and not to the go power solar charge controller.

I also found that the polarity of the go power side plug was reversed. I suggest that you check yours before using your portable panel.
robcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #5

The side outlet is wired directly to the battery. Put a simple voltmeter on it and you will find DC buss voltage on it and then you can also tell which is positive and which is negative.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses...So basically I would need a 2nd controller to use it? Where do people usually connect up a controller for that plug? I only saw the 2 wires at the plug location...would expect there to at least be a spot to connect everything inside the trailer since they call it 'solar ready'.
Is it OK to have two solar controllers charging the same battery?
ahofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #7
Someimes Re- member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahofle View Post
Thanks for the responses...So basically I would need a 2nd controller to use it? Where do people usually connect up a controller for that plug? I only saw the 2 wires at the plug location...would expect there to at least be a spot to connect everything inside the trailer since they call it 'solar ready'.
Is it OK to have two solar controllers charging the same battery?
Yes, as I stated you will most likely need another controller, unless your panel has one attached. It is most convenient to have your controller attached to the panel (as long as the cable to the solar port on the TT is not too long). This is the simplest set-up and requires the least rewire-ing.

Your controller can also be installed just inside your TT near the port location if that is possible, but then you will need to cut the wire between the port and your battery and wire the Controller between the port and the battery. This is the preferred method as it allows for a longer cable to your portable panel with less voltage drop which could reduce your solar input to the battery.

"Solar Ready" only means that the manufacturer has installed PART of the wiring needed, so they can market it as "Solar Ready".

Yes, it is OK to have two solar controllers charging the same battery.
Old Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, light, question, solar