Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #1

Question on wiring for battery meter

When I installed my solar system last year I installed one of the more inexpensive battery monitors and it is working well enough for my needs. However, the way I wired it into the system shuts it off when I switch the battery cutoff switch to off. I knew this going in but was concerned that the draw of the meter itself was just one more vampire load and I didn't want that. Now after reading more on the amount of power it would use and some of the limitations that wiring method creates, I want to switch the monitor to the "external power" setup.

The attached picture shows my current wiring method ("A" in the picture) and what I am looking at changing it to ("B" in the picture). I believe I can just remove/trim off the lead going to the +VExt terminal (it gets it's power from the downstream side of the cutoff switch). Then run two new wires from the positive and negative terminals of my battery bank and attach them to the +VExt and -VExt terminals.

Since I'm not a whiz with electronics like some folks on this forum I thought I'd ask before making the change. Am I looking at this right?

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meter wiring.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	242638  
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:19 PM   #2

You can put a bluetooth monitor on the battery and load the app on your phone. Current draw is only microamps.
drysider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

OK, now that we're back from our latest camping trip I'm going to make this change. When I get done I will be resetting the monitor and I was wondering - is there any rule of thumb for reducing the battery capacity based on the age of the batteries? I have two 6V GC batteries that are rated at 215 AH and they are about 18 months old and have never been discharged to the 50% level yet (55% a couple times).

Thanks!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #4

i put out my 100 watt panel . and i am done. that is what a charge controller is for. ill take all the sunshine i can get.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, wiring