Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Question....Some power, some not

While getting some help in another thread on Satellite TV, I've been going back and forth to camper to check stuff about the TV and connections, etc. Wife has been working in camper.

Just got it, 2014 Grey Wolf 26BH.

It is plugged to a 12g extension cord using the adapter. I can't tell that this unit is really plugged in, except that the battery level indicator keeps going up periodically if lights aren't on. So, it seems it's getting enough power to run the trickle charger.

However, some stuff works, and some doesn't.

The radio works.
TV does not, won't come on.
Electrical outlets don't work.
Overhead lights work fine.
Microwave won't come on.
Refrig comes on, but after a bit it, the "CHECK" light comes on. This makes me think it's trying to come on using LP, which is turned off at the valves.
Although I will NOT turn on A/C without 30a circuit, the thermostat is also not on.

I've pulled every fuse and they are all fine. No breakers are tripped. But it's like the power cord needs an ON switch or something. But nothing is there to turn on.

The things that work could be working off of battery. If so, that would mean that I have no 110 power even though it's plugged in. The outlet is hot, I've checked it. No trips there. It powers other stuff fine.

Can't call tech till Monday. Not sure he would be able to diagnose over phone.

There's not one single thing I can come up with other than possibility, odd as it sounds, that this stuff won't work over a long extension cable and is going to have to have full 30a power. That makes no sense to me, but it's all I can wildly guess.

Any ideas???
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #2

Check the GFI plugs they may have tripped I'm talking about the ones in the camper mine are located in the kitchen on the cabinet above sink the other is by the medicine cabinet by restroom sink I have tripped them and they seem to run almost every plug in the camper.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #3

Good idea. But checked them and no amount of resetting makes them, or anything else, work either.

I'm more than stumped.

Everything worked Wednesday on our walkthrough.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

If you have a multimeter, check for 120 volt ac at house receptacle, then plug in your adapter and check again, plug in your 30 amp cord and check at other end (female plug). If all OK then plug in your trailer and check for voltage at one of trailer receptacles (reset GFCI if tripped). tell us what you have.....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Check the power cord twist lock connector not the yellow cover mine some times falls out slightly and won't make a connection have to twist it a little tighter and that works. otherwise I'm stumped unless...................... no still stumped?

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
Old 06-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

This is nuts.

The TT power cord has a green and red light on the male end. Neither light is on. Even if GFI's were tripped, one of those lights should be on. Oddly also, one of my GFI's is resettable, but one in the kitchen says GFI on a label, but it has no resettable push button.

I disconnected the 12g extension cord and replugged it into another working outlet. I did this even though I know the original house outlet works because stuff I plug into it works.

I reconnected everything.

Nothing.

This is the SAME power cord they used to check the TT on walkthrough on Wednesday, to ensure it worked. It did then.....though they were connected to large breaker and had a/c and everything on.

First, do you agree that the issue is that I have no power and that lights, etc, are working on battery? Seems that is only possibility.

If so, however, why does the battery not drain out? Why does it recharge a little and never go to zero? What is charging it?

AAARRGGHH

Oh. Don't have voltmeter. It's on my (LONG) list........
Old 06-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #7

Well if you think for sure your cords are OK, then open every breaker in trailer power panel and close again. See what happens...do you have a multimeter?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #8

OK lets see power cord to trailer OK power to converter OK converter to battery OK converter to plugs bad sounds like a tripped main Breaker did you try to shut it off then back on? I know it sounds stupid but I would try it again. otherwise I see no other problem.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
Old 06-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #9

Ta DA

I fixed the problem.

Fonzie, of course, had the proper way to troubleshoot. But without a voltmeter, all I could do was replace components one by one. I was convinced it was the 'out of the box' 15 to 30 adapter....

But NOOOO

It was my fancy dancy big gauge power cord! It's bad!

I used it because it's the only 10g extension cord I have. But I tried another regular (and shorter) 16g red extension cord, and VOILA!

CAP'N!! WE HAVE POWER!

Microwave came on, and I'm sure the reefer will too, and the TV works, etc.

Thanks guys. I am sorry to ask questions BEFORE I did all the legwork.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #10

Thats OK I had nothing other to do today I just got finnished working on my wife's car it needed a new thermostat and antifreze but what a pain it is a Buick Century and you have to take half the engine apart just to get to the thermostat so I needed the break anyway!

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #11

Son has an old Buick. Have to take the back seat out to put in a new battery.

no kidding.

and P.S.
I found a shorter yellow 10g extension cord, older, but it's good.....and I'm chunking the other one!

Thanks again.