Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #1

Questions on solar.

Hi everyone! I am new to the group and today purchased a 2020 Rockwood Geo pro 19 FBS. I’ve been watching videos but one thing is still not clear to me. When off the grid and strictly on solar/batteries/propane, I’m not quite clear with what works and what doesn’t.
Is the air conditioning the only thing you can’t use?
Would I be able to use a portable ice maker some how? I just don’t understand how many volts/ watts I can use when not plugged in to electrical. Any help you can provide this newbie would be appreciated!!
ACcuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #2

If you will go on Amazon and look for a "Killo-watt-meter", not sure that is exactly the right spelling but close. You plug this meter into a regular 120v outlet and then the appliance that you want to check into it. It measure volts, amps, Watts, power, total kwh used and time. Very useful. Since I have an off grid solar system in a remote location, I have checked every device in the cabin that I need to run. I am currently running six 265 watt solar panels through an MPPT charge controller to eight T-105 trojan 6v and feeding a 3600 watt pure sine wave inverter (48 vdc to 120 vac).
The meter will give you a good idea about your power usage. If you are like most recreational campers on a bit of solar with a couple good quality 12 v deep cycle batteries, you can probably run a residential fridge for about 8-12 hours, maybe watch a few hours tv, run a cpap overnight. Pretty much can forget your ac, coffee maker, microwave, blow dryer. Remember that there are significant efficiency losses even in the best inverters, so your calculated figures may be 125% optimistic over what you will really have.
Running batteries hooked up in parallel keeps the voltage the same but you add the amp capacity of each battery for a total. Also realize this means running significantly larger gauge wires from the battery bank to the inverter.
Batteries in series such as mine (eight T-105 at 6 volt each is 48 volts) but the amp capacity remains that of a single battery. So I have 48 volts at 225 amps. No more than 50% of this current is available before the risk of shortening battery life is very real. So this becomes around 48 volts at 112 amps, or 120 volts at 45 amps (90% efficiency means about 40 amps. So about 5kw for an hour, or about 500 watts per hour for ten hours. You can see how quickly your power gets used up even with a substantial battery bank. A couple deep cycle batteries just isn't going to go very far.
A good quality inverter generator is a necessity in my opinion.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #3

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your response I appreciate the information
ACcuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #4

P=IV. Watts = Amp x Volts.

Battery has about 600 watts available. 50 amps.

Get a chart showing consumption. Basically high consumers will not work. A microwave is 1500 watts per hour. AC is more.

If you want to run the coffeemaker and tv you need batteries and lots of solar panels. 100 watts of panel on a flat roof is less than 300 watts a day or less.

Solar works in places without shade trees and no clouds. Like California, not Michigan.

Study up before you invest. Selling solar water heaters should have been a crime in Ohio.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:01 AM   #5

Smaller 120v items can be run off batteries using an power inverter that takes your 12v from your batteries and turns it into 120v. Your Microwave is obviously 120v, AC, likely your TV although some are 12v.

Anything that heats (Microwave, Toaster, Coffee maker, etc.) EATS 12v power. If you want to identify what runs, don't plug your camper in to 120v and walk around and try operating things.

I haven't quite made up my mind on solar for my Toy Hauler at this point. The plan is in a few years to retire and spend a bunch of time out west where it would be more beneficial due to the lack of trees/shade vs. the mostly campground/state or national park camping that I do currently 90% of the time. I did invest in an inverter genny (3500 watt) that can run my AC and other high wattage appliances if I'm somewhere I can't get shore power.

In my research for the preparation of "someday" what I'm still debating is are we going to be too much of a high usage couple to make it worthwhile. Putting enough solar on the roof and enough battery storage in an RV to power higher usage folks that have a residential fridge, like to watch a 2-4 hours of TV in the course of the day, might have a wife that wants to blow dry her hair, uses the microwave to thaw or cook on occasion, Wants to use the AC for an hour or two at night to cool the camper if it's hot where we're staying, MIGHT be more expensive than just using the genny for those limited moments.

For someone like that (I'm not sure if that's who we are yet but wise enough to know it might be) Lithium Batteries that you can run down lower than 50% would be a must IMO. The weight of using AGM or Lead Acid that you can discharge to 50% vs. to 80% discharged like the lithium would require significantly more of them to equate to the same amount of actual energy storage. Add in that they (AGM and Lead Acid) are heavier and now I'm eating up more space and weight to get the same amount of usable amp hours.

Enough solar panels and controllers for them to replace the huge amount of energy used daily would be the next biggest cost. And even then, a second cloudy day would almost certainly require firing up the genny.

I've watched about 200 hours of YouTube videos on solar and many of them of people that are living small in conversion vans and small RV's. Some of them have huge amounts of solar (1000+ Watt systems) along with large 8 Lithium Battery banks costing Thousands (4k-8k).

So for now, I'm going to wait until we get retired, go out west and see just how much we can chase the 70 degree weather pattern, how we actually use the electrical power each day in those types of camping situations, how costly is it to run a small inverter genny when you need it and then do the cost analysis. I just don't want to sink 4K in batteries and another 1-2K in solar to find out all it's doing is saving me $3-$5 in gas a day ($90-$150 a month).

If I were a low usage camper, ran everything on 12v that I needed, had a propane frig, rather listen to the radio and TV, etc, I'd be all over a couple Battle Borns batteries and 5-600 watts of panels on the roof.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACcuts View Post
Hi everyone! I am new to the group and today purchased a 2020 Rockwood Geo pro 19 FBS. I’ve been watching videos but one thing is still not clear to me. When off the grid and strictly on solar/batteries/propane, I’m not quite clear with what works and what doesn’t.
Is the air conditioning the only thing you can’t use?
Would I be able to use a portable ice maker some how? I just don’t understand how many volts/ watts I can use when not plugged in to electrical. Any help you can provide this newbie would be appreciated!!
Anything you can plug into an outlet won't run but any USB ports still operate on 12v
Mizterusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar