Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I too am in the camp of a battery selector switch. I can run one, the other or both but not usually both as my batteries are rarely the same age and keeping them separate, keeps them performing longer.

I always mount on the positive side and wire it so it cuts off everything.

Got it - connect to positive (red wire) side
Definitely. Thank you.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
You should also get BUS-bar for all the positive cables going to the batteries.
IE: (Amazon) Power Distribution Block with Cover
Attachment 204848
I use this type bus bar as well. Not just for positive but for negative as well for my inverter, solar controller, and any other item I have mounted in my electrical compartment. It is connected to batteries via shunt and then to frame with #4 awg wire using a T&B lug. (not a sheet metal screw like the factory uses to attach frame grounds). I also sanded paint from attachment area on frame and secured with nut and bolt with No-Ox-ID.

This provides good return current path for loads like tongue Jack, Slide, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I use this type bus bar as well. Not just for positive but for negative as well for my inverter, solar controller, and any other item I have mounted in my electrical compartment. It is connected to batteries via shunt and then to frame with #4 awg wire using a T&B lug. (not a sheet metal screw like the factory uses to attach frame grounds). I also sanded paint from attachment area on frame and secured with nut and bolt with No-Ox-ID.

This provides good return current path for loads like tongue Jack, Slide, etc.
I used InstallGear 4/8/10 AWG Gauge Power Distribution Block 4 Gauge In to (4) 8/10 Gauge Out for my solar cables.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron SmartSolar 20190316_160629.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	205063
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #24

I got one of these, not this exactly but this type (knife type kill switch). Mount it on the NEGATIVE post and mount everything that was on the negative post onto this switch’s post. Make sure you have every single wire that goes to that negative post removed and out onto the switch, otherwise a number of things will bypass the switch.

WirthCo 20138 Battery Doctor Battery Disconnect for Top Terminal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQBND0..._CcZ5Cb7MQ9JBF

Heck your battery type though because some have top posts and some have side posts and some have other kinds of connectors.

I had very bad luck with one of those brass “screw-on, screw-off” type switches. The two parts kept splitting apart causing arcing and it was not a good situation! (This type - no! Docooler Battery Terminal Link Switch Quick Cut-off Disconnect Car Truck Auto Vehicle Parts (Battery switch 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJMDTH4..._GhZ5Cb6NSM4KG)
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #25

Ditto on the Negative post cut off mount. Many of the kill switches come with post holes that will not FIT on a positive post because they WANT you to mount it on the negative side where you don't have a bunch of other stuff going on. Example:
https://www.grainger.com/product/4NG...!g!88855682037!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #26

Use lots of CRC Battery Terminal Protector when you are finished. About $8 for a life time supply.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Battery-T...s%2C204&sr=1-1
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #27

I use this one...Wiring and hookup is simple.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-9001...DHW7BFZ4M9XT47

Who went in the way before you, to search you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to shew you by what way ye should go, and in a cloud by day.

Deuteronomy 1:33
wolfpup64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #28

I've got a single battery on my little Apex Nano and when I was reading my owner's manual, it said when disconnecting the battery cables to disconnect the negative cable either first or last (can't remember which way now). So I installed two cutoff switches, one for the positive and one for the negative cable. I also posted a note on my battery box lid telling me in which order to turn the switches on or off according to the owner's manual. I guess there is a concern about damaging electronics attached to the battery.
kisatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisatchie View Post
I've got a single battery on my little Apex Nano and when I was reading my owner's manual, it said when disconnecting the battery cables to disconnect the negative cable either first or last (can't remember which way now). So I installed two cutoff switches, one for the positive and one for the negative cable. I also posted a note on my battery box lid telling me in which order to turn the switches on or off according to the owner's manual. I guess there is a concern about damaging electronics attached to the battery.
With disconnect switches, you only need it on one side and the convention is positive. Either side will work however. The reason your manual said to do the negative first is when you are taking off a battery cable so that you don't short to the frame. With a switch, that wouldn't happen.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, switch