Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2022, 07:18 PM   #1

Recent Problems - Rapid Battery Draw Down and More

Hi folks .. a bit long, but looking for advice.

I have a 2022 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511s. 12v fridge and 190W panel Go Power controller. 2 Interstate flooded 12v batteries that came from the factore.

I have had few problems with batteries till now. I went out multiple times last year Last year I was able to boondock for three days with rain the 3rd and managed to keep fridge going, etc. I went out earlier this year, and started the fridge early in the morning before we left and the battery held up fine. no problems. Shorepower it works fine.

FYI I did leave the two batteries attached all winter (Eastern Pennsylvania) and checked every week - fridge off and battery shut off. Typically 12.5 - 13.5V

This weekend, I went out Friday morning, switched the battery shutoff to on, and checked with both the controller and small separate battery monitor. 13.5v or so, and drove home from the storage lot.

When I got home, I was at 11.2V (fridge on). It dropped really fast. I let it go, and drove 4 hours to the camp ground. All good before I hooked up to shore power, the car and solar panel kept it charged, even with the fridge running. Over 13V.

As I test the next day, I turned off shore power. Fridge was running. I dropped from 13.8v to 11.2v in about two minutes. I hit shore power, and was back up over 13v in less than two minutes. I replicated this several times.

I also did it by turning off the fridge, and still saw a rapid drop, though not as bad.

- So the batteries take a charge, and show full quickly (using two devices to test).

- They drop rapidly when not on shore power,(last year they held up well) and super quickly when fridge kicks on. I did not try it for hours, just a few brief tests. However, the behavior is much different than earlier this year, and last year

- I did attach a 100w suit case panel (when not on shore power) when it was sunny with fridge off and fridge on .. with fridge off, charged quickly. But when the fridge compressor started, dropped quickly.

So: the batteries take a charge, but discharge extremely quickly. I checked water and OK. Did I somehow damage them over the winter? 2) Is the Fridge causing the problem or do have an issue with grounding wire? Any other thoughts?

Coincidentally -- the Go Power iphone app was fine. Then later - disconnected. I reconnected, but it was like it forgot the name I gave, etc. Also, it will connect, but shows no data of any kind. Could the controller itself be part of the problem? And, should I try a hard reset to get it working. FYI I deleted, shut off phone, downloaded and tried several time. It connects, pairs, but shows not data of any kind. The the controller itself appears to show the voltage, etc. fine. I compared it with the other device I have on the batteries. Both are largely showing similar results.

I suspect the batteries are bad. They came with the camper. Best way to check? Also, alternatives? 2 6v AMG or go lithium. FYI I do not boondock much, and next winter, I'll just cover the panel and wire ends and bring whatever I have home for trickle charging. But I want the darned things to work correctly

Finally, check your external solar panel plug in. I found that they drilled the hole too large, and one screw was loose. Turns out that screw doesn't grasp any wood now. I put a touch of wood glue on it screw, so it might catch against wood, then caulked around the outside plastic - until I can get to it better.

Thanks .. I like the 2511s .. I have to learn more about how to maintain batteries. I'm hoping they just got zapped over the winter, and I don't have a ground problem or something. I should not drop from 13.8v to nearly 10v in three minutes with fridge on.
jsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk125 View Post

I have a 2022 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511s. 12v fridge and 190W panel Go Power controller. 2 Interstate flooded 12v batteries that came from the factore.

I have had few problems with batteries till now. I went out multiple times last year Last year I was able to boondock for three days with rain the 3rd and managed to keep fridge going, etc. I went out earlier this year, and started the fridge early in the morning before we left and the battery held up fine. no problems. Shorepower it works fine.

FYI I did leave the two batteries attached all winter (Eastern Pennsylvania) and checked every week - fridge off and battery shut off. Typically 12.5 - 13.5V

This weekend, I went out Friday morning, switched the battery shutoff to on, and checked with both the controller and small separate battery monitor. 13.5v or so, and drove home from the storage lot.

When I got home, I was at 11.2V (fridge on). It dropped really fast. I let it go, and drove 4 hours to the camp ground. All good before I hooked up to shore power, the car and solar panel kept it charged, even with the fridge running. Over 13V.

As I test the next day, I turned off shore power. Fridge was running. I dropped from 13.8v to 11.2v in about two minutes. I hit shore power, and was back up over 13v in less than two minutes. I replicated this several times.

I also did it by turning off the fridge, and still saw a rapid drop, though not as bad.

- So the batteries take a charge, and show full quickly (using two devices to test).

- They drop rapidly when not on shore power,(last year they held up well) and super quickly when fridge kicks on. I did not try it for hours, just a few brief tests. However, the behavior is much different than earlier this year, and last year

- I did attach a 100w suit case panel (when not on shore power) when it was sunny with fridge off and fridge on .. with fridge off, charged quickly. But when the fridge compressor started, dropped quickly.

So: the batteries take a charge, but discharge extremely quickly. I checked water and OK. Did I somehow damage them over the winter? 2) Is the Fridge causing the problem or do have an issue with grounding wire? Any other thoughts?

Coincidentally -- the Go Power iphone app was fine. Then later - disconnected. I reconnected, but it was like it forgot the name I gave, etc. Also, it will connect, but shows no data of any kind. Could the controller itself be part of the problem? And, should I try a hard reset to get it working. FYI I deleted, shut off phone, downloaded and tried several time. It connects, pairs, but shows not data of any kind. The the controller itself appears to show the voltage, etc. fine. I compared it with the other device I have on the batteries. Both are largely showing similar results.

I suspect the batteries are bad. They came with the camper. Best way to check? Also, alternatives? 2 6v AMG or go lithium. FYI I do not boondock much, and next winter, I'll just cover the panel and wire ends and bring whatever I have home for trickle charging. But I want the darned things to work correctly

Finally, check your external solar panel plug in. I found that they drilled the hole too large, and one screw was loose. Turns out that screw doesn't grasp any wood now. I put a touch of wood glue on it screw, so it might catch against wood, then caulked around the outside plastic - until I can get to it better.

Thanks .. I like the 2511s .. I have to learn more about how to maintain batteries. I'm hoping they just got zapped over the winter, and I don't have a ground problem or something. I should not drop from 13.8v to nearly 10v in three minutes with fridge on.
It certainly sounds like your batteries are damaged. They are probably old and have been run down one too many times. IMO, it is best to detach batteries if they are not going to be in use for long periods of time,or, have a means of trickle charging them.

Damaged Batteries will charge right up to full charge, but will not hold that charge for long. A capacity test will verify that your batteries are non-functional. I assume you have SLA batteries. Most auto parts stores will test your batteries for free.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Odds are that the batteries were dealer-installed. Usually only motorhomes come with factory batteries.
Unless the solar package includes factory batteries.
I would ask your dealer who installed the batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:34 PM   #4

Batteries read at the terminal correctly are 0-12.6 volts. Tenth's are important.

Any reading over 12.6 likely means something is charging the batteries.

You need to read the battery voltage at night. Hours after the sun goes down and all chargers turned off.

Do you have a battery monitor. Modern rvís use a ton of power. Batteries are the weak link. Need to be checked for water level. Distilled water.

Then turn the shore power on. The converter if working will read up to 14 volts. Really dead battery. Over a 24 hour period it will go down to about 13.1, they are all a little different.

A 190 watt solar panel, on its best day, provides about 45 dc amps. No where near enough for a compressor fridge.

When traveling it is best to fill the fridge the night before you leave. Plug in. Gallons of frozen drinking water is a good plan. The more the better. The fridge could consume up to 10 dc amps per hour. Easily two car batteries like yours in ,24 hours. Weather dependent.

I think likely several not so good practices. Maybe not.

Gc2 batteries are the best bang for the buck.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:02 AM   #5

Thanks for the response. FYI the batteries are under a year old, and where essentially consistently charged by the solar panels. I only boondocked once over that year .. so I think they may have been compromised by leaving them attached all winter. I checked every week and they were fully charged. Maybe over charged, despite the controller.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:11 AM   #6

more than likely the batteries are no good
if they are not sealed ... did you check the fluid level

Taking them to a auto parts store is hit and miss.. they said my truck battery was good but it would not hold a charge.

BUT I usually get quite a few years out of a battery
so have a good look at the wiring , check what parasitic draws you may get, maybe something was ON ?

since you don't boondock a lot stick to lead acid battery
try find

a) a true deep cycle battery.... that can be drained much further
don't be tempted by a hybrid marine one.
b) Sealed if possible so is less work
c) biggest amp hour you can afford

what ever the size and type of lead acid
to maintain while stored for LONG periods ... Fully charge the battery then disconnect the battery terminal NOTHING on the terminal not even the solar

You could take the batteries HOME with you and keep them in the garage ... once a month put at trickle charger on them to top up
Old 08-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #7

Without a battery monitor or voltmeter reading you are flying while blind.

Basically your posts supply no information for troubleshooting.

It can be any of a dozen issues.

Check battery levels. Measure resting battery voltage. Plug in shore power. Measure voltage.

Watch voltage for 24 hours.

I have a BM2 voltmeter from Amazon. $40. Records voltage and keeps a history. This would answer your questions.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:21 AM   #8
Site Team

Check to insure that you did not accidentally pull the breakaway cable. This will kill batteries in no time and is easy to do without knowing it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:27 AM   #9

Thanks .. I do have a battery monitor. Battery stays fully charged (190w panel). The drop when I flip off the battery disconnect (to on) is and the fridge starts up is very fast. from 13.5v or so to under 11v. Turn off fridge, and it jumps back up (solar panels) over 13v very quickly. With fridge off, it will drop to 12v - 12.5v or so quickly and level off a bit and slowly drop.

I just think the batteries (only 1 year old) may be compromised by either being left out for the winter (and charging) or something else. I'm going to take them to an auto parts store for testing.

This did no happen last year .. I got 3 days of boondocking after a full charge. Today, I don't think the panels could keep up and I'd kill both batteries in hours.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #10

Definitely get the batteries load tested. If damaged and under a year old, trade them for new ones under warranty!
You can't determine the charge in your battery while something is charging them (solar) or using them (fridge). Disconnect them (I use a 100% battery cutoff) and let them sit long enough to remove surface charge, then check them. Otherwise you will get the wildly different readings you have indicated.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #11

Battery tests

Take them to one of the auto parts places, NAPA, Auto Zone, etc where they will test the batteries for you. They will test using the "load test" method which better determines actual battery capacity and state of charge.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #12

Does this look correct? Parallel Battery Configuration

This is how it came from the factory? Shouldn't the two wires on the negative post on the right move to the far left battery .. and then a single wire from that battery to the right battery? Like in the diagram?

FYI I'm taking them out and going to an Interstate battery shop near me for testing. They charge, just drop to under 50% in minutes when a load is applied (i.e. 12v fridge)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	550.4 KB
ID:	277995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 12.52.03 PM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	277996  
Old 08-18-2022, 02:19 PM   #13

For use in an RV, it really doesn't make any discernable difference in how they are wired. I would say a majority of RV dual battery setups are wired the way yours are from the dealer. All of mine have been, and I do most of them myself. I already have the shorter cables to connect the two batteries and don't have to go out and buy a longer cable that some setups would require to wire them the other way.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #14

I see videos where they say that the negative and positive coming from the RV should be on separate batteries, not the same battery as you see in what came from the factory.

Would that make a difference? Thanks for the quick response.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:34 PM   #15

Not any discernable difference for an RV.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #16

Quote:

It sounds to me like your batteries are damaged and not holding a charge.

Quote:
Thanks .. I do have a battery monitor. Battery stays fully charged (190w panel). The drop when I flip off the battery disconnect (to on) is and the fridge starts up is very fast. from 13.5v or so to under 11v. Turn off fridge, and it jumps back up (solar panels) over 13v very quickly. With fridge off, it will drop to 12v - 12.5v or so quickly and level off a bit and slowly drop.

I just think the batteries (only 1 year old) may be compromised by either being left out for the winter (and charging) or something else. I'm going to take them to an auto parts store for testing.

This did no happen last year .. I got 3 days of boondocking after a full charge. Today, I don't think the panels could keep up and I'd kill both batteries in hours.
What battery monitor are you using? Is it just the voltmeter that comes with the rig? Or is a true shunt battery monitor? The voltmeters will often show low voltages while the batteries are discharging powering other devices. A true battery monitor with shunt is the best way to keep an eye on your battery bank's state of charge.

Quote:
I see videos where they say that the negative and positive coming from the RV should be on separate batteries, not the same battery as you see in what came from the factory.

Would that make a difference? Thanks for the quick response.
Personally, I would only be happy with the positive and negative coming from separate batteries. Does it make an actual difference? Probably not.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
This is how it came from the factory? Shouldn't the two wires on the negative post on the right move to the far left battery .. and then a single wire from that battery to the right battery? Like in the diagram?

FYI I'm taking them out and going to an Interstate battery shop near me for testing. They charge, just drop to under 50% in minutes when a load is applied (i.e. 12v fridge)
You haven't determined if these batteries were factory-installed or dealer-installed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #18

Well looks like my fault

Seems I did not check the fluids enough. In 27 years of camping with pop ups and small trailers - never had batteries go almost dry. I guess the impact of all the energy every day from the solar is an issue.

I used almost a gallon of distilled water across the two. I'm going to check them tomorrow, then trickle charge each for several days to see if they recover. I read that it is possible they could. Both are only 1 year old.

That would explain why they took a charge and showed full, but couldn't take a load.

I covered my panel (it showed 0 input and the moon symbol) and used electric tape on the + and - cables. I'll put an older battery in tomorrow perhaps just to be safe.

Pretty sure that's the issue. I'll try to limp along with those batteries till next season, then maybe get sealed, but certainly pay more attention.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Seems I did not check the fluids enough. In 27 years of camping with pop ups and small trailers - never had batteries go almost dry. I guess the impact of all the energy every day from the solar is an issue.

I used almost a gallon of distilled water across the two. I'm going to check them tomorrow, then trickle charge each for several days to see if they recover. I read that it is possible they could. Both are only 1 year old.
Wow! Do you know how dangerous that is? I've seen batteries that were low on electrolyte explode when charged. I have a reminder on my phone to check my batteries monthly and I do it religiously. Even if it only takes a couple of ounces of distilled water, I do it. I have four golf cart type 6 volt batteries and I have a watering system hooked up. All I have to do is drop a hose in a jug of water and pump a squeezebulb until it takes no more water.

Hope your batteries are good,

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:33 PM   #20

Operator error.

Happens.

The modern rv is getting very complicated.

Sometimes solar controllers donít. You now know the result. Not a solar fan. I live in the Midwest. Ohio.

Wet cell batteries fully charged will be fine without charging for 4-6 months.

Research batteries before buying. Measure.

GC 2 batteries are the best bang for the buck. However you have to check levels. Second best choice is lithium because of cost. Agm/maintenance free are expensive. Also do not last as long and are not as abuse proof.

I suspect in your case they would be toast. Already in the trash.

Tags
battery