Originally Posted by Surveythis
I just recently bought a 2005 surveyor v270 by Forest River and haven't even taken it out yet. I think I've had it a month and I plugged a fan into one of the receptacles maybe two of them and they worked and then one day I go out to the camper and the receptacles are not working anymore I have tried minor things because I really don't think I can afford an electrician I've tried checking the fuses I've tried flipping the breakers off and on and I've tried resetting the button that has the test thing on it in the bathroom my son said he didn't think any power was coming in to the receptacle that has the test thing on it so I don't know what to do other than call an electrician and I'm trying not to have to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated
This is a very common complaint here. It is a very easy thing to troubleshoot, but somewhat difficult to put into words. There are many videos on Youtube on the process. I am assuming you are a complete novice on electricity and RVs. What I would do is as follows:
1. Make sure the house receptible that you are plugged into is working.
2. Make sure your electrical cord is connected properly.
3. double check that all your breakers are set properly. Switch them all off, wait, and switch them back on.
4. Is there any electricity anywhere in the RV? If so, which circuits are functioning and which ones are not?
5. If it is only the GFCI circuit that isn't working, that is where the problem is.
6. GFCIs trip because of relatively small current leakage, but enough to shock you.
7. Reset the GFCI (watch a video on how to properly do this) and plug in a good, newer, small appliance other than the fan. Does it work? If so, it is the fan tripping the circuit. If not, it is back to item 3.
8. Go to Harbour Freight and buy a 7 dollar multimeter tester and watch one or more videos on how to use it safely.
9. Write everything down, and report back. I am sure there will be more suggestions.
Remember to do everything safely and follow the standard rules of working with electricity.