Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2021, 09:40 PM   #1

Receptacles stopped working

I just recently bought a 2005 surveyor v270 by Forest River and haven't even taken it out yet. I think I've had it a month and I plugged a fan into one of the receptacles maybe two of them and they worked and then one day I go out to the camper and the receptacles are not working anymore I have tried minor things because I really don't think I can afford an electrician I've tried checking the fuses I've tried flipping the breakers off and on and I've tried resetting the button that has the test thing on it in the bathroom my son said he didn't think any power was coming in to the receptacle that has the test thing on it so I don't know what to do other than call an electrician and I'm trying not to have to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Surveythis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #2

Is you trailer currently plugged into shore power?
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:47 PM   #3
Site Team

If plugged into shore power, you may have tripped the GFCI outlet. Usually it's in the bathroom and you need to reset it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveythis View Post
I just recently bought a 2005 surveyor v270 by Forest River and haven't even taken it out yet. I think I've had it a month and I plugged a fan into one of the receptacles maybe two of them and they worked and then one day I go out to the camper and the receptacles are not working anymore I have tried minor things because I really don't think I can afford an electrician I've tried checking the fuses I've tried flipping the breakers off and on and I've tried resetting the button that has the test thing on it in the bathroom my son said he didn't think any power was coming in to the receptacle that has the test thing on it so I don't know what to do other than call an electrician and I'm trying not to have to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated
This is a very common complaint here. It is a very easy thing to troubleshoot, but somewhat difficult to put into words. There are many videos on Youtube on the process. I am assuming you are a complete novice on electricity and RVs. What I would do is as follows:

1. Make sure the house receptible that you are plugged into is working.

2. Make sure your electrical cord is connected properly.

3. double check that all your breakers are set properly. Switch them all off, wait, and switch them back on.

4. Is there any electricity anywhere in the RV? If so, which circuits are functioning and which ones are not?

5. If it is only the GFCI circuit that isn't working, that is where the problem is.
6. GFCIs trip because of relatively small current leakage, but enough to shock you.

7. Reset the GFCI (watch a video on how to properly do this) and plug in a good, newer, small appliance other than the fan. Does it work? If so, it is the fan tripping the circuit. If not, it is back to item 3.

8. Go to Harbour Freight and buy a 7 dollar multimeter tester and watch one or more videos on how to use it safely.

9. Write everything down, and report back. I am sure there will be more suggestions.

Remember to do everything safely and follow the standard rules of working with electricity.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:32 AM   #5

Thanks, I will get to work on all suggested
Old 05-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #6

Are you plugged into 120 volt shore power? Lights on microwave working? Air conditioner working?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #7

I had a trailer that also had a GFI receptacle on the outside. See if such is the case on yours. May need resetting as well. On 5th wheel I had GFI in kitchen. When it tripped all outlets on that side of trailer went dead.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If plugged into shore power, you may have tripped the GFCI outlet. Usually it's in the bathroom and you need to reset it.
I tried that but it didn't click or reset as if it wasn't working
Old 05-15-2021, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
Is you trailer currently plugged into shore power?
Yes, it's plugged into my house with an extra RV plug to reach the distance. Between my camper and house
Old 05-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Are you plugged into 120 volt shore power? Lights on microwave working? Air conditioner working?
Have you confirmed if these work?
Andersen hitch
Old 05-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I can't turn on ac or microw because I'm using home elec and was told it's not powerful enough but lights work and it's not hooked to battery and refrig works and converter works
Old 05-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulvey View Post
I had a trailer that also had a GFI receptacle on the outside. See if such is the case on yours. May need resetting as well. On 5th wheel I had GFI in kitchen. When it tripped all outlets on that side of trailer went dead.
Ok I will check that too
Old 05-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #13

Quote:
I can't turn on ac or microw because I'm using home elec and was told it's not powerful enough but lights work and it's not hooked to battery and refrig works and converter works
I know the ac works because when I bought it, the seller had it working
Old 05-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
I can't turn on ac or microw because I'm using home elec and was told it's not powerful enough.
Hope no one here told you that.

Since this all worked before you brought it home it's something that happened -- a nice way to say something you did -- since then.

Why is the battery not hooked up. If the leads are loose they can short and cause all sorts of issues. (Probably not related to this issue.)

-- Chuck
Old 05-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #15

Is your house outlet on a GFCI sometime two on the same line don't play well together.

Also what type outlet are you plugged into at the house ?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #16

Quote:
We are just trying to determine if you have 120 volt power to the camper. The lights are 12 volt. The Microwave lights will work without turning it on (although you can turn things on to verify they work. Just not all at the same time.)
Andersen hitch
Old 05-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #17

I do have house power I'm assuming that is 120 power or shore power. I am under the impression that if I flip on the breaker it will trip because my house is not 30 amp like a campground
Old 05-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #18

???. Not sure how you got this "impression" and it's been discredited several times in this discussion.

Here it is again : The 15 amp house breaker will certainly trip if you fire up the AC, the microwave, a space heater, and the electric water heater all at the same time. But nothing will happen just plugging in to home-shorepower.

If you're typically running the water heater on 120vAC turn it off. Nothing else should automatically run.

-- Chuck
Old 05-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #19

Thank you chuck