Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #1

Recommendation for solar charger

We have a 2017 Mini Lite 2306 and soon are embarking on our annual 7 day trip at our favorite “dry camping” campground. The battery is the stock Interstate deep cycle. For the past 3 years on this trip, I’ve brought along my portable Generac generator and charge the battery for about 1-2 hours a day (plugging in the shore line) which I plan on doing again. This has done alright, but last year I felt the battery was quickly depleting, especially towards the end of the week.

I’m searching for a solar charger to help keep the battery charged and am a little overwhelmed with the options available. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
BaldEagle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:07 AM   #2

First get 2 batteries. Then asses your needs.
I have a similar trailer and recently bought solar panels for it. A 100 watt panel makes a big difference. 200 watts is even better. If you use a lot of power you might need more. Get an MPPT controller with room to expand.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #3

At two years old your battery may be at the end of its life cycle if it isn't holding a full charge. Batteries that have been discharged below 50% have a shortened life cycle.

1-2 hours may have been enough to fully charge your battery using the OEM charger controller. I find I have to run the generator 3-4 hours to fully charge my dual batteries on an average day, longer if I have been running the furnace. Battery University has really good information on battery charging profiles.

I bought the 100 watt Renogy suitcase solar panel with built in waterproof charge controller last year. Up here near the Canadian border I only got about 35 amp hours on a good sunny day. The equivalent of a little over half an hour of the OEM 55 amp charger running. On cloudy days I was lucky to get 10 amp hours.

You may be further ahead, it would certainly be cheaper, to invest in two new batteries and the cables to wire them in parallel if you go with 12V deep cycle marine batteries, or in series if you go with 6V golf cart batteries.

Footnote: I can tell when the OEM charger is nearing completion charging the batteries because I can hear it cycle off and on in short cycles. I let it continue running another 15-30 minutes.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #4

A good multimeter will also help you monitor the charge state of your batteries. You want to keep them above 12.2 volts at minimum.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:10 AM   #5

first, I would simply just double your battery capacity, as your generator will certainly be able to full charge even both batteries quite easily - and you'll have 'twice' the off-grid time as you have had.
Or, you could even replace your current 12v battery with two 6v Golf cart type deep-charge batteries, which would probably more than double your current 'time', if not way more. Attach these in 'series'(positive to negative) to create a 12v battery bank, like many other RVs do.

secondly, solar 'may' be an option, but it's fairly expensive for what it does, and then you have to be concerned with whether the panel(s) is placed and tilted correctly, not in the shade, and hope that the sun is actually 'out' for most of the time. And, you'll need a charge controller, and the wires and connectors to your battery(s), etc. And, with only your current single battery, you'll not have much 'room' to store the power.

When you have more battery storage, solar makes more 'cents', but without more battery storage, you can find yourself in the same situation you are in now, if the sun decides not to cooperate, or you'd rather park in the 'shade', which most of us do.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #6

The "stock Interstate deep cycle" battery is probably not deep cycle, it's a marine dual purpose. If you replace it, get an actual deep cycle battery.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #7

I was in the same boat the last couple of years - run the generator daily to charge the batteries. This year I went the solar route for a 5 weeks vacation only in NP - no electric hookup.
I went with the Dokio 200W portable panel from Amazon for 240$ and I am highly pleased with it. Normally my 2 batteries where fully charged again before lunch!
had to use the generator once on a rainy day....
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #8

If going to replace batt, I have to side with two 6v batts in series. I have seen some good deals on Duracell (Deka/East Penn) 235a 6v batts. That along with a good solar unit and you should be issue free.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #9

Okay, you asked which solar generator to buy. Here is what I have:

Dokio:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zamp:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the Zamp 110W (heavy and expensive) or Dokio 100W (cheaper and lighter) when camping in my single axle, single battery Lance TT.

When camping in my Forest River Georgetown 31L5 (Class A 35') two battry 'camper' I use both at the same time.

Dokio also makes a 200W suitcase solar charger. Both the 100W and 200W Dokio chargers come with a controller.

For functionality, both the Dokio and Zamp perform well. If I were to start over, I'd buy just the Dokio 200W solar charger, even for my TT.

I've never had any issues with my Zamp, so I can't testify about customer service.

For my 100W Dokio, I had an issue with the controller right out of the box. After trying several things to make sure the issue wasn't user error, Dokio sent me a new controller, and reminded me that the Dokio unit has a two year warranty, so if I have any further issues, to just let them know so they can take care of it. I worked directly with Dokio, not through Amazon where I bought the charger.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #10

Solar

Sounds like your battery is at the end of its life. I would suggest going to two 6 volts, if you have the room. Costco sells them for $98 each. You can get remade cables at any auto store to connect the 2 batteries. I have the Renology 100 watt folding solar panel which comes w/ a nice padded case and a 25 amp waterproof controller, $270 on Amazon. The controller is capable of handling an additional 100 watt panel. If you are connecting to a prewired Zamp panel on your trailer you will need a "reverse connector" to plug the panels into the Zamp outlet. I got 2 for $4 off Amazon. I also have a 15' section of 10 gauge wire to put the panel out away from the trailer to get more light. If I went w/ a 200 watt or higher panel I would connect directly to batteries w/ a minimum of 10 gauge wire to avoid power loss and get a better controller.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #11

Solar

oops, "pre-made cables".
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #12

What ppine said and you can find 100 and 200 watt at Harbor freight. Stand them up and use clips directly to your battery.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #13

It is worth to buy better quality solar panels and a quality solar charger IMO. They are more effecient and last longer. Any good charger will monitor the output in amps of your panels and the % charge of your batteries among other things.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
It is worth to buy better quality solar panels and a quality solar charger IMO. They are more effecient and last longer. Any good charger will monitor the output in amps of your panels and the % charge of your batteries among other things.
Agreed. I was just listing one option. Knowing how much to invest then research will be the key.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar