Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

Recommendations for Generator Prep

Just bought a new 5th wheel with no Gen Prep, refused Lazydays offer of $10,000 dollars - I would like to hear some recommendations from personal experience - I can buy the generator from them or buy it from Cummins - but I have pretty much made up my mind I am going with an Onan 6500w propane generator. Thank you in advance

Oh yeah, it really doesn't matter where it is, I am in Key West ATM, but I will travel for the right deal and I am ready to do that relatively soon! The fish are biting but it IS freakin hot down here
Old 06-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry043 View Post
Just bought a new 5th wheel with no Gen Prep, refused Lazydays offer of $10,000 dollars - I would like to hear some recommendations from personal experience - I can buy the generator from them or buy it from Cummins - but I have pretty much made up my mind I am going with an Onan 6500w propane generator. Thank you in advance
I just had a Cummins/Onan QG5500 installed in my 5th Wheel. I went with gas and a 30 gallon tank because the gas unit gets about 30% better fuel economy and I did not want to deal with the heavy propane tanks. Total cost with fuel tank and transfer switch was about $7500. It will run both of my AC units, water heater, refrigerator, and charger at the same time. Don't forget that you will need a generator enclosure and vent which is required for fire safety. You can see pictures of these or go to a sales lot and look at units that either have a generator installed or have the generator prep.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

So, no gen prep. Does that mean there is no compartment that is ready for generator with fuel connections, ventilation, vibration and sound prevention, and wiring? No auto transfer switch or control wiring inside?
If not, this is why most of us buy portable inverter generators, as the cost to do this correctly after market is prohibitive.
But I have seen it done several times, sometimes successfully (meaning $$$$).
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #4

Thanks

I appreciate your reply, but where did you have that done? Seems like a reasonable price, but I am looking for a location so I can call and schedule the same for myself
Old 06-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
So, no gen prep. Does that mean there is no compartment that is ready for generator with fuel connections, ventilation, vibration and sound prevention, and wiring? No auto transfer switch or control wiring inside?
If not, this is why most of us buy portable inverter generators, as the cost to do this correctly after market is prohibitive.
But I have seen it done several times, sometimes successfully (meaning $$$$).
Yup, none of that. I have 2 Hondas - But I am still going to get the Onan installed.........
Old 06-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
I just had a Cummins/Onan QG5500 installed in my 5th Wheel. I went with gas and a 30 gallon tank because the gas unit gets about 30% better fuel economy and I did not want to deal with the heavy propane tanks. Total cost with fuel tank and transfer switch was about $7500. It will run both of my AC units, water heater, refrigerator, and charger at the same time. Don't forget that you will need a generator enclosure and vent which is required for fire safety. You can see pictures of these or go to a sales lot and look at units that either have a generator installed or have the generator prep.
Where did you get this done???
Old 06-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry043 View Post
Where did you get this done???
I live in Utah. The dealer was C&R Trailer Sales in Tremonton Utah. They are quality people. If you went with Propane it would cost about $1000 less. The fuel cell was expensive. My unit did not have generator prep so it would also cost less for one that does have it.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #8

Seriously thinking of removing and selling my ONAN 4000 gen and buying a Honda or equivalent and using the space to store Honda gen. Onan just to noisy for my liking and other campers near me, vibrations and noise in motorhome also are too much.

Having said that we don't use our gen that much and if we do we are quite comfortable running only what is necessary for the moment.

Tags
generator