Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #1

Refrig questions while traveling and battery question

Greetings all,
I've read most of the posts re: traveling w/ propane on and I'm still a bit skeptical of traveling w/ possible gusts blowing out the pilot?? Nevertheless, If I have my frige plugged in a couple of days before, and have it loaded w/ cold and frozen items, does my tow vehicle power the frige while traveling. If so, enough to keep frozen and refrigerated items cold? Also, my battery all of the sudden is not holding a charge. I know for a fact that it was low b/c of the yellowish hue to my dimming bulbs. I plugged the Trailer into a standard 110 outlet, but when I unplug it, no lights. Could my battery have died that quickly? Or, did I not do something right. Any information is valuable as we're learning as we're going. Thanks for looking.

Sperb
Sperb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #2

That is what i do,I plug it in a few days ahead and load it up before we leave and switch to gas to travel i never have had a problem traveling with gas on, as far as your battery being bad, you didn`t say how old it was,but my guess it must be bad if its not holding a charge or you have dirty leads on your battery or bad connection but you also didnt say how long you had it plugged in.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #3

Not sure how old the battery is. Just bought the RV in April. Strange thing is that the battery was fine until I plugged the RV in on Sat. I don't think its even holding any charge. Thanks for the info.
Sperb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 AM   #4
Site Team

no, your tow vehicle does not power the fridge. the fridge is 2-way and runs on propane or 110v standard AC power. only some of the older popups had 3-way frigs that also could run on 12v DC.
if you don't leave your trailer plugged in, the battery will drain due to parasitic draws, like the CO2 detector and propane detector. it can drain in 3 days, sometimes.
you should install a battery disconnect switch.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #5

I keep my camper plugged in all the time to keep the battery charged, I turn on the fridge two days before leaving on a trip( two to three hour trip ) A camping friend of mine installed a 350 watt inverter to power the fridge while traveling, his TV charges the battery on the camper. I was going to do the same thing the other day but the weather would not let me. My friends set-up seems to work pretty good. If the fridge is all ready cold before you start traveling the only time power is needed is when the fridge calls for cooling, once it reaches set point the thermostat in the fridge will shut off the power until it calls for cooling again. The thermostat in the fridge is pre set and can not be changed, the only control you have is a sliding damper control, Remember the way your fridge gets cold is from the freezer section. The freezer gets cold and the cold drops down to the refrigerator area the sliding damper allow you to control how cold the refridgerator area gets.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery