Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
Wanderluster

Replaced automatic transfer switch

At some point during our summer trip, I realized that my generator wasn't putting out power when running. We boondocked a few times, and it sucked not to have air conditioning when it was in the 80s even at night. I checked all the obvious things - circuit breakers, fuses, etc, and couldn't find the culprit. I didn't get a chance to do a full diagnostic until we returned home.

I didn't have any problems when plugged into shore power, so I suspected there was something wrong with the automatic transfer switch. Unfortunately, my ATS is tucked away at the very middle of the basement storage bay at the rear of my coach, and the only way to access it is by crawling into the compartment, and contort my body into a very uncomfortable position. Of course, the temperature here was over 90 degrees, so the work area was hot, dark, and cramped - so, I was hoping and praying that this would go quickly.

So, step one was to use my multi-meter to check where I had current, and where I did not. I found that when plugged into shore power, I had 120volts on both legs of the shore power terminal. Then I started the genset, waited for about a minute, waiting for it to transfer over...but nothing happened. I checked the current on the input side of the generator terminal of the ATS, and confirmed 120volts on both legs. However, on the output side of the ATS, I got nothing. I also did not hear the ATS switch click over to generator. This confirmed that I had a bad ATS.

Fortunately, I found the exact same ATS (TRC/SurgeGuard 40100) on Amazon for $135, with delivery the next day. The next day, while waiting for the new ATS to get delivered, I removed the old ATS (after disconnecting all power sources). The old ATS box was a total PITA to remove, as the previous mechanic/technician used a LOT of silicone adhesive/sealant around the wiring and ATS box. It took me about an hour, using razor blades and scrapers, to remove enough silicone to pull the old ATS box out. Before I did that, I took detailed photos of the original wiring connections.

The new ATS unit arrived on my doorstep right after lunch - perfect timing. Luckily, the re-installation went easier than I thought. After reconnecting all the wires, and powering up, I tested everything with my multi-meter. After about 30 seconds, I heard that satisfying "CLICK" as the ATS clicked over to the generator.

From the maintenance records of my coach, I knew that the dealer installation of the same ATS unit a few years cost the PO nearly $600. This DIY took me about 2 hours and 2 beers to complete and cost me $135. I'm a very happy camper!
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Always Learning

Nicely done! I find that I worry more about these kinds of replacements than they are generally hard.

Tags
switch, transfer switch