Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 06:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I put in a pair of Deka (East Penn) GC batteries, they look like new 3 years later. 230 Ah battery. Was under 300 bucks for the pair at Lowes.
I went to Lowe's website to chec out these batteries. The ones i saw appear to be flooded batteries with wet cells? Those require frequent checking and refilling to make sure the cells are covered with water. Also i got the impression they were for starting equipment rather than using for a camper or boat trolling motor? Do they make them for campers and boat trolling motors in AGM?
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #22
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
I was hoping to hold off for at least a year or two before upgrading the battery, but thanks to the dealer not disconnecting the battery when it was stored after they replaced the 12v reefer, they killed the battery. They also did some floor repair in the rear which required dropping the nose down. They pulled it outside and left it that way, and there was no way for me to back under it, the gear was fully extended, but the legs were fully up. When I went to the auto level controller I found it dead, and looked at the dc volt inside and it was at 9.5 volts.

Well heres the thing, once they raised it up so I could back under it, I plugged in my truck, and it read 13.6 from the trucks alternator, but when I tried to use the jacks it quickly died. It appears the truck can only supply so much current before it peters out. It's a separate issue I need to deal with, but what I am finding out now is, even though I can run a half dozen load tests clean on the battery, on a trip of say 6 hours, the reefer depletes the battery, even with the truck and 50watt juice pack connected. I don't know what the AH is on it, but it's not great.

What I want to do for short term is put in a decent high AH battery, but not go LiFe just yet. It is not in the budget for $500+ batteries and having to replace the convertor to charge them properly.

Looking for suggestions on a decent high AH battery thats hopefully under $300. The last DC AGM I bought was from Farm & Fleet, an Exide 31MAGMDC. It lasted a year before a cell dropped out, now its a 10v battery. It was $194 5 years ago. Needless to say, I don't trust Exide makes a good battery for this purpose. I believe Exide also makes the Expedition batteries in a lot of the RV's sold.

A year or two down the line I plan to upgrade to twin Lithiums and solar on the roof since there is so much real estate up there.
If you are a member of SAMS club they offer AGM battery in group 31 for about 180 bucks...Great battery made by Penn....Same as DEKA, Duracell, and many other brands... Most are made by PENN with the private label of each added...Same battery different wrapper....Check specs and you will be able to compare with brands....
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:29 AM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmfa View Post
I went to Lowe's website to chec out these batteries. The ones i saw appear to be flooded batteries with wet cells? Those require frequent checking and refilling to make sure the cells are covered with water. Also i got the impression they were for starting equipment rather than using for a camper or boat trolling motor? Do they make them for campers and boat trolling motors in AGM?
No, they are certainly for deep cycle applications like golf carts, what they are designed for. The main benefit of AGM is maintenance (as you mentioned they don't need to be watered, however watering them is very easy, particularly if you buy a 10 dollar battery water dispensing can, for me only needs to be done once or twice per season since I don't boondock much.) The other benefit is harsh environment longevity, like on an ATV with all the vibrations. Tongue of a trailer is not harsh environment, and I don't see any benefit to pay the extra cost of AGM.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:35 AM   #24
Trailer Park Supervisor

East Penn makes them in AGM though, since you were interested, in the Intimidator line. https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co...ns/golf-carev/
Old 07-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #25

Battery

I had the same decision on my mini lite. The dealer installed diehard 55 aph marine battery. I have 570 watts of roof top solar and the stock 1000W inverter. My box had room for 2 batteries. Problem is if one dies your not supposed to replace it with one from a different litter. To me it made sense to go with Wmaxx 200 aph agm deep cycle solar battery. I purchased on line $385. Worst part I had to get my weight lifter neighbor to get it off the porch and into the camper, 108#. Since the die hard was new, I sold it on craigs to a boat owner. So far Vmaxx has maintained voltage and charge. We are conservative occasional dry campers and feel confident with the system so far.
Happy camping
2003 Utah Pop-Up
“Wanna Be” fisherman
I’d rather be sailing!
olbutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:38 PM   #26
Trailer Park Supervisor

You probably paid dearly for the shipping. In-store pickup is the way you want to go with these heavy things if at all possible. And you want in-store return option if it fails prematurely under warranty.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
If you are a member of SAMS club they offer AGM battery in group 31 for about 180 bucks...Great battery made by Penn....Same as DEKA, Duracell, and many other brands... Most are made by PENN with the private label of each added...Same battery different wrapper....Check specs and you will be able to compare with brands....
X2 …. I just replaced my 10 month old factory batteries yesterday with 2 Duracell AGM 31s based on several recommendations from another thread.

Is it worth pursuing any comp from the warranty through FR or my dealer? The battery box was full of corrosion, even ate some of the paint off, yet the batteries were nearly topped off when I checked them.
MooseRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:08 PM   #28

Costco sells interstate batteries fairly reasonable.
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Can't help you with the battery but if I understood you correctly you said it is dead after towing.
My first truck, a 2006 Duramax, came without a specific fuse to to allow a charge while driving. Same on my buddies 2007 Duramax. Might check to see if your Ford needs a fuse.
I had to install a relay and fuse so I could charge batteries on my tt. I have a 2010 F150.
Ausymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #30

Battery replacement

Quote:
I was hoping to hold off for at least a year or two before upgrading the battery, but thanks to the dealer not disconnecting the battery when it was stored after they replaced the 12v reefer, they killed the battery. They also did some floor repair in the rear which required dropping the nose down. They pulled it outside and left it that way, and there was no way for me to back under it, the gear was fully extended, but the legs were fully up. When I went to the auto level controller I found it dead, and looked at the dc volt inside and it was at 9.5 volts.

Well heres the thing, once they raised it up so I could back under it, I plugged in my truck, and it read 13.6 from the trucks alternator, but when I tried to use the jacks it quickly died. It appears the truck can only supply so much current before it peters out. It's a separate issue I need to deal with, but what I am finding out now is, even though I can run a half dozen load tests clean on the battery, on a trip of say 6 hours, the reefer depletes the battery, even with the truck and 50watt juice pack connected. I don't know what the AH is on it, but it's not great.

What I want to do for short term is put in a decent high AH battery, but not go LiFe just yet. It is not in the budget for $500+ batteries and having to replace the convertor to charge them properly.

Looking for suggestions on a decent high AH battery thats hopefully under $300. The last DC AGM I bought was from Farm & Fleet, an Exide 31MAGMDC. It lasted a year before a cell dropped out, now its a 10v battery. It was $194 5 years ago. Needless to say, I don't trust Exide makes a good battery for this purpose. I believe Exide also makes the Expedition batteries in a lot of the RV's sold.

A year or two down the line I plan to upgrade to twin Lithiums and solar on the roof since there is so much real estate up there.
Trojan sc225 130AH Deep Cycle FLA >< $200
jfc317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #31

Quote:
I WISH mine installed Interstate, but no. I don't have a picture handy of the battery, but this is the battery installed,

Mine is not corroded, its new. It is not the battery that is supposed to come with the Juice Pack, but I have no way to prove it to take back to the dealer since FR is no longer responding to emails. It is not a 100AH battery. I also am connected to shore power 24x7.

The other battery that I have is an AGM and lasted all of 2 years before dropping a cell. https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...e-battery.html

Both are made by Exide. so looking for suggestions on a good 105-110 AH conventional battery to tide me over for a while until I can afford to put a full solar kit in with lithium.
That is my corroded battery https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...cs-226677.html after late Sep trip to OBX with flooded NC12 roadway, all the way thru winter months. Cleaned it up in the spring; positive battery terminal connector did snap off after a very gusty/windy/rainy day but other than that no issues last year or this year. This is the battery that came in with mine with the juice pack - sealed & maintenance free. Even though the Pup is in the driveway, it is not connected to power unless I'm getting ready to head out to power up the Furrion Ref and the A/C on my 15A garage outlet.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Well, I took a look at the Walmart link above, and found those batteries are also made by Penn. I would have to order the two 6v and would not get them in time for our next trip so picked up the 29 series from Walmart for $89. Rated at 115 AH which is good enough to get me through to Iowa, unless I can figure out how to get some current from the truck into the trailer for power. I am going to do a full load test Wednesday when its a little cooler out and see how long it will support the 12v Reefer. I would need a new battery box for the 6v ones though, so I may order a pair next month and add them all in. Can never have too much battery.
As an addendum to this, I found the truck wasn't supplying 12+ to the trailer so the entire trip was on the battery alone. It still passes load test, but at a far reduced capacity.

The Walmart battery I put in will hold up much longer and give me at least 8 hours of Reefer time while driving if I can't figure out the 12v issue on the truck. I found that it is not module controlled but live at all times as I tracked down the fuse, which was blown, and with no key in the truck there is 12v+ on the buss. I did a resistance check to ground on the other blade, and it shows open, so the fuse blowing may have been before I got the truck. I checked the 7 pin on the trailer and have the battery voltage showing properly. Just waiting on the fuse pack to be delivered, the local AS was out of the Jcase fuses.

I also did a no shore power test and got 8 hours run time before it got dark, and since I have food in it, decided to put it back on shore instead of running over night. This is what I got https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...5-CCA/20531539
Old 07-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #33

Best rv batteries for the dollar are the Costco gc2 batteries. Under $200 for the pair.

However, you have to check water levels. AGM batteries are easier, but, generally do not last as long. Gc2 batteries are real deep cycle batteries. Most AGM’s are not. Gc2’s are taller.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #34

There was a post I read not too long ago where he is using 2 27 battery using 2 single battery box(one end on each cut and then joined together) that fits the frame. Sadly I can't locate the post.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #35
Star Ryder

I have a Interstate group 24 550 cca 690 mca 140 rc 81 ah that was installed 8/17. I keep the trailer in the driveway that is in direct sun. We've had a hot Summer with temps 95*+. I have it on Shore power all the time. I hadn't checked the water since March, I checked it this morning and they it was good on water for all cells.Good battery!
StarRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #36

Battery

I get my interstate batteries from Costco and they are reasonably priced.
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, dealer