Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #1

Replacing Exist. and Adding 2nd Battery

Hi All,
I am a new owner of a used 2010 Salem Cruise Lite Travel Trailer. I just closed it up for the winter after having winterized it. I removed the existing 12V battery and want to replace it and hopefully add a second one for those times I am Boondocking.
The current battery is a cheap EverStart Deep Cycle Marine & Rv, Group Size 24DC, 690MCA, but I doubt it is the type that shipped with it originally, so I need some suggestions:
1) What brand and/or type/model should I replace it with?
2) Should I add a 2nd battery in Parallel (not sure there is room in its location behind propane tanks)?
3) The current plastic battery box is for one battery, does anyone know where to find one that will hold two batteries?
4) The camper has a basic Tank and Battery Monitor above the sink inside but I'm curious if I should/could put an analog/digital monitor of some type outside in the battery box to show exactly what state of charge it/they are in? Will this work if I add the second battery?
5) Also, other than it being charged while towing, what is the best way to charge it/them while unhooked from the vehicle (other than running a generator)?
Thanks!
YancyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #2

you have to decide how many times you really will be boondocking
How many days and what amount of power you need while off grid

do you have a propane fridge.... 12v fridge.
do you have to have air conditioning on 24/7 $$$ Electrical $$$
will you be camping in a new spot every day.

Traveling ... using the alternator how many hours driving between camps
OR staying in one spot ... Not traveling ........alternator charging won't apply

before you spend a bunch of $$$
use the camper a few times. decide what needs upgrading first.

add some solar
a second battery
a small generator
lithium 400ah

if you can keep your power consumption SMALL your battery and charging will be much simpler

If you are a power hog...
Plus you only have a limited amount of time to charge.
because of generator quiet times ..................... you will spend lots of $$$$$$
Old 12-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YancyP View Post
Hi All,

I am a new owner of a used 2010 Salem Cruise Lite Travel Trailer. I just closed it up for the winter after having winterized it. I removed the existing 12V battery and want to replace it and hopefully add a second one for those times I am Boondocking.

The current battery is a cheap EverStart Deep Cycle Marine & Rv, Group Size 24DC, 690MCA, but I doubt it is the type that shipped with it originally, so I need some suggestions:

2) Should I add a 2nd battery in Parallel (not sure there is room in its location behind propane tanks)?

3) The current plastic battery box is for one battery, does anyone know where to find one that will hold two batteries?

4) The camper has a basic Tank and Battery Monitor above the sink inside but I'm curious if I should/could put an analog/digital monitor of some type outside in the battery box to show exactly what state of charge it/they are in? Will this work if I add the second battery?

5) Also, other than it being charged while towing, what is the best way to charge it/them while unhooked from the vehicle (other than running a generator)?

Thanks!
New trailers don't come with factory batteries, it's a dealer-installed item. That's why they are almost always the cheapest dual-purpose marine battery. Some newer trailers may have optional solar packages that may come with batteries.
1. Buy matching batteries. Most common upgrade are a pair of 6v golf cart batteries. But if you got money to burn, go LiPo.
2. Only 12v batteries should be in parallel. 6v should be in series.
3. Multiple places have dual battery boxes.
4. I'll let someone else answer that.
5. Shore power or solar.

You need to tell us what kind of camping you want to do. If you will always be hooked up to shore power, a single dual-purpose marine battery will be fine.
If you want to boondock for an extended time, then a pair of 6v golf cart batteries will be the minimum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:26 PM   #4

I had to replace my original 12 volt battery for the fall camping season. I decided to go with a pair of golf cart batteries (in series) because we boondock frequently. We are careful about electrical usage with out biggest use being the furnace. We carry a 2000 watt inverter Champion Gen to top off the batteries when needed. Solar would not work because our normal camping spot is totally shaded most of the day.
In late November we camped 5 days and only charged the batteries 2 hours a day. We ran the furnace at 50 degrees for about 8 hours a night.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:28 PM   #5

For battery and box question.

One of these boxes and two - GC2 batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55375-B...s%2C186&sr=8-1

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
For battery and box question.

One of these boxes and two - GC2 batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55375-B...s%2C186&sr=8-1
I assume you mean 12V GC2 which is different than the 12V 24DC "deep cycle" one currently installed. The current one is 690MCA=483Ah but this doesn't really matter I'm guessing since I'm not starting an engine with it, right?
While the GC2 are Lithium Ion (LiFePO4) and probably have a much longer lifespan (more cycles) and don't leak as much, I believe they would have different connections. Not sure if anything else would have to change... Which kind were you referring to (MFG & MDL)?
The ones that I have had past experience with tend to get hot and once started a fire in the warehouse at my old job when they were being recharged.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #7

Confused

Quote:
I assume you mean 12V GC2 which is different than the 12V 24DC "deep cycle" one currently installed. The current one is 690MCA=483Ah but this doesn't really matter I'm guessing since I'm not starting an engine with it, right?
While the GC2 are Lithium Ion (LiFePO4) and probably have a much longer lifespan (more cycles) and don't leak as much, I believe they would have different connections. Not sure if anything else would have to change... Which kind were you referring to (MFG & MDL)?
The ones that I have had past experience with tend to get hot and once started a fire in the warehouse at my old job when they were being recharged.
I'm afraid you are quite confused.

GC-2 refers to a large 6-volt Flooded Lead Acid battery, originally designed for use in golf-carts, hence the designation GC-2. It is not a 12-volt battery, and it is not Lithium Ion, and it is not Lithium Iron (LiFePO4).

Could you re-phrase the questions with these thoughts in mind?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Yep, GC-2 is a 6v golf cart battery designation. It has the same basic footprint as a Group 24 12v battery but is slightly taller. Therefore requiring a GC-2 box.
And as Larry said, GC-2 is NOT a Lithium battery group.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 12-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:

Trailers often come with a cheap dual purpose battery .... deep cycle and cranking ability these are often called a hybrid because they are designed (the inside Plates) for a bit of everything.

TRUE deep cycle are designed with different lead plates and can store more electric stuff... makes them great for trailers / boats /pumps or solar banks
not great for starting cars ... some of them can't produce enough amps to turn over a modern high compression car.

GC2 , sometimes labeled Motive are lead acid based.
a reliable fairly cheap way to boondock ... some times boondock and a propane fridge this will get you though a few days ... add 200-400w solar panels and you can just about stay out forever.
allow the electrolyte to dry out in a flooded lead acid and it can cause fires.

But ... Lithium lifepo4
not the same as the laptop and phone batteries that spontaneously erupt in flames.... but they still can burn sometimes

They are getting cheaper and their ability to charge faster , makes them more suitable for power hungry campers.
I have 12v fridge and will go lithium soon.

if you are a handy guy and like doing stuff...
google DIY lifepo4 battery could save you a bunch of money
Old 12-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks!
4) They sell battery boxes on Amazon and elsewhere that have built in battery monitors that display on the outside of the box. So, yes, you can mount a monitor on the outside of the battery box. If you connect two batteries up in parallel the voltage reading should be the same.
Old 12-12-2022, 05:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
4) They sell battery boxes on Amazon and elsewhere that have built in battery monitors that display on the outside of the box. So, yes, you can mount a monitor on the outside of the battery box. If you connect two batteries up in parallel the voltage reading should be the same.
Only if both batteries are 12v.
If they are 6v golf cart batteries, they have be connected in series.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:44 PM   #12

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. Especially the clarification on GC-2 batteries. You're correct, I was very confused with all of the verbiage being used. I think I have a better understanding about how to proceed but just wanted some more insight:
1. I'm thinking I want to stay with dual 12V batteries in Parallel. Does anyone know what MFG/Model are really good, that people have used in the past?

2. If I change my mind and go with dual 6V batteries in Series, what MFG/Model are really good, that people have used in the past?

So when I boondock, to keep the batteries charged:
1. I'll probably need some solar panels. Does anyone know what MFG/Model are really good, that people have used in the past?

2. Or a Charger/Inverter small enough to travel - Does anyone know what MFG/Model are really good, that people have used in the past?

I really appreciate all of the feedback. Now, if I can just get the hang of maintaining my Black Tank. And flushing it at the station... When I was a kid, my Grandparents 1972 Shasta didn't have a toilet or shower. LOL.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:53 PM   #13

True deep cycle 12V batteries are actually rather hard to find - and usually expensive. If the battery you are looking at has ANY mention of CCA (cold cranking amps) it is - probably - NOT a true deep cycle but a dual-purpose battery. True deep cycles are better. AFAIK, all golf cart batteries ARE true deep cycle.

If you insist on staying with 12V lead acid, here are a few to look at:
https://www.renogy.com/deep-cycle-ba...agm-batteries/
https://www.amazon.com/WEIZE/dp/B07S..._t3_B004OA25PU
https://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Mari...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I would HIGHLY recommend one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Battery-...737352522&th=1
Use the largest shunt. It will future-proof your system.

If you will be doing a lot of boondocking (no power available) I would recommend a portable 100W or 200W suitcase style solar set-up like one of these - be sure it includes a solar charger:
https://www.renogy.com/100-watt-12-v...-with-voyager/

https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-v...olar-suitcase/

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:00 PM   #14

GC2 batteries are the best bang for the buck. Generally the longest service life of all wet cell batteries. About $200 for a pair at Costco or Sams. Real negative. You have to check the water level every now and then.

Car batteries. Dual 12 volt. Called deep cycle. boat, Marine, trolling, and other names. There are only about three manufacturers. However the labels come in any color a retailer wants on them. Less power than a gc2. Less service life. Better for starting your motor-home.

Agm. More expensive than wet cell batteries. Shorter service life. Maintenance free. Works well if you roll the rv over. Intended for planes., ATV's and other vehicles that roll over sometimes. Or in places hard to get to for storage. Do not to need to be in a vented space.

Solar panels produce in the best conditions about 25 dc amps per day per 100 watt panel. Their problem is installing them flat on your roof causes poor performance. Then too trees, clouds and rain are the enemy. So often in Ohio they do not work well. Not 25 amps dc per day.

If I were you I would look at Lithium. 200, 300 and 400 amp dc batteries are roughly the same size. Fit in one box. 20" long. The converter should be changed out. With one of those and a generator you are good for many days boondocking. $800-$1800

When we purchased our rv Lithium was awfully expensive. We have 4 GC2 batteries and a Honda 2200 generator. We have to recharge every other day. No solar. We could go three days without my cpap machine. A big user.

I own the BM2 battery monitor. From Amazon. 5 minute installation. A really fancy voltmeter. Gives me in information I need. Alarms and a history of our battery usage.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:18 PM   #15

Buy once, Cry once.
Spend the money up front on Li batteries and be done with it. They'll most likely outlast your ownership of the camper, will provide 80% of rated power and do so with half or less the weight.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:28 PM   #16

You're repeating

Some of these questions have already been asked.
Quote:
Thanks for all the wonderful advice. Especially the clarification on GC-2 batteries. You're correct, I was very confused with all of the verbiage being used. I think I have a better understanding about how to proceed but just wanted some more insight:
1. I'm thinking I want to stay with dual 12V batteries in Parallel. Does anyone know what MFG/Model are really good, that people have used in the past?

2. If I change my mind and go with dual 6V batteries in Series, what MFG/Model are really good, that people have used in the past?
You've already been told that the best choice for Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) batteries is a pair of 6v GC-2 batteries in series. Do you have a membership at Sam's or Costco, or maybe BJs. The brand they have (usually Interstate) is a fine choice. Rumor has it that all the batteries come from the Johnson Controls factory anyhow.
Quote:
So when I boondock, to keep the batteries charged:
1. I'll probably need some solar panels. Does anyone know what MFG/Model are really good, that people have used in the past?
Whatever brand you get won't work in the woods or if it's overcast. You'll have to come home or use a generator in a few days. The generator always works.

People have boondocked for years with generators--solar panels have become popular only in the last few years. Before buying them, you really need to do some camping and see what your power consumption needs are. Do you expect to mount them on the roof (convenient) or get portable "suitcase" panels (you can move them during the day to capture the best angle for sunlight, and in the woods, you can move them to patches of sunlight.)
Quote:
2. Or a Charger/Inverter small enough to travel - Does anyone know what MFG/Model are really good, that people have used in the past?
You are confused. The trailer comes with a charger, called a CONVERTER. It receives 120v ac and creates around 13 v dc to charge the batteries. It's already there.

An INVERTER converts 12v dc to 120v ac. You would only need one of these if you want to use a 120v appliance while boondocking if the generator is running. This is practical for small appliances (TV, computer) or very short durations (microwave). The air conditioner would need a high-wattage inverter and drain your battery in an hour or so--bad idea.

A GENERATOR runs on propane or gasoline and creates 120 v ac. You would plug the trailer into it. You could use it to recharge the batteries and run high-wattage appliances like the air conditioner and microwave.

The gold-standard generator is generally thought to be the Honda EU2200 series. It can barely run an air-conditioner, though. Many users have to install a "soft-start kit" in the air conditioner. Bigger generators are available but they get heavy. I think 3500 watt units run around 100 lbs. Many users get the Harbor Freight generators. They are cheaper than the expensive Honda units but a little noisier.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:32 PM   #17

If you decide to go LiFePO4, as many suggest, you should know:
your TT - 13 years old - will not have a converter that is LiFePO4 compatible.
So - - - you would need to replace your converter with one that is - - OR - - add solar.

LiFePO4 has different charging parameters than FLA batteries. A non-LiFePO4 compatible converter will only charge LiFePO4 batteries to about 80%. To get them to 100% you will need a compatible converter and/or solar. Solar with a good solar controller would provide that last 20% - eventually.

If you went lithium, the best scenario would be to upgrade the converter, too - AND add solar. Either way, whatever you do, you should REALLY think of adding a battery monitor like the one I linked to earlier. (there are other more expensive ones but the cheapy will do the job)

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
An INVERTER converts 12v dc to 120v ac. You would only need one of these if you want to use a 120v appliance while boondocking if the generator is running.
Why would you only need/use an inverter when the generator is running? I only use my inverter when I don't have the generator hooked up or running. With the generator running, it should be supplying the 120v AC loads, not an inverter.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:17 PM   #19
Site Team

Yancy, suggest that you Google the 12 Volt Side of Life. It's a good primer on the two different RV electrical systems, especially understanding batteries.
Old 06-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #20

Larry,
Sorry for what you thought was me repeating the questions or my confusion. I will be more careful not to offend others with my ignorance. Thank you for the clarity.