Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamischmidt View Post
Yes. It still trips. We removed the lamp immediately.

Ok. Process of elimination. Unplug (if you haven't already) everything that is affected by that circuit. Wait to see if it still trips. If not, plug things back in one at a time and wait to see what if anything trips it.

BTW, are you plugged in at home or a campground? If plugged in at home and you have the rig plugged into say the garage or an outside outlet, it too is probably a GFCI outlet. 1 GFCI plugged into another GFCI don't like each other and one or the other will trip. I had this issue at home when I wanted to get it ready for a trip.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
It has been raining all day....
Ding... ding... ding -- I suspect that's your issue.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 03-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #23

Thanks for setting me straight. I meant breakers not fuses
Old 03-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #24

The outside outlet appeared to be dry altho you may be exactly right. That would make perfect sense. We were just considering the lamp as a possible cause bc it happened at the same time . Hopefully it's the outlet, it dries out, and tomorrow it will work. Thank you for your time.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #25

Mr Dan may be onto something.........something (either an outlet or wiring) is wet or damp. GFCI circuits are protection circuits to prevent being shocked/electrocuted by conduction through water. They are designed to trip in a millisecond if exposed to water or any wetness.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #26

We're at a campground and the power has been excellent.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #27

Maybe that's all there is to it. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
The outside outlet appeared to be dry altho you may be exactly right. That would make perfect sense. We were just considering the lamp as a possible cause bc it happened at the same time . Hopefully it's the outlet, it dries out, and tomorrow it will work. Thank you for your time.
It could be something with the lamp - may not be a wet outside outlet. You (others?) didn't splash bathroom sink water on the nearby outlet, did you/they? Now and then, we've heard of a cheap GFCI master outlet merely being bad. BTW, I don't think water on wiring with trip a GFCI master UNLESS it's gets on bare energized copper.
You're welcome for the time. I'm sitting in a campground in south central Oklahoma watching a baseball game I recording last evening! I hope your issue gets straightened out soon.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 03-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #29

We've considered the master outlet being bad...gif thought. We checked the outside outlet again and it seems bone dry under the cover.
We're in Ft Myers enjoying the rain instead of snow. Enjoy your game!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #30

The lighting in RV is 12 volts. Controlled by 12 volt fuses. Not controlled by the GFI circuit. The outlets in your RV are 120 volts controlled by Circuit breakers. The GFI controls all outlets with 6' of a water source. Bathroom, Kitchen, Outside and ground level storage is considered a water source. Unplug anything that is on the GFI circuit and reset the GFI outlet. If it does not reset you must go turn on the Breaker labeled GFI in the electric panel. Off then On. They will not reset without power. Since you plugged in a new lamp I would look into that as you problem. Take the lamp into the bedroom and plug it in and see if it works. As stated, a shore power gfi and your RV gfi sometimes don't play nice. The Microwave sometimes gets wired to the GFI circuit. It has to do with the 6' thing. Cabinet or no cabinet

The rain is stopping tonight.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #31
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I wasn't saying that the microwave caused it to pop...

But if that and one of the other many other kitchen things, or any two of them are run at the same time it will blow the bathroom GFI.

Coffee maker, microwave, hair dryer, toaster, electric heater...

Run too many things at once and it will pop!

In my 5'ver that also includes the electric water heater, bathroom, entire kitchen and the entertainment center.

You'll learn over time how much stuff you can run at one time on that circuit.

The problem is...you can't run much at the same time.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:53 AM   #32

If this doesn't clear up once the sky's do ;-), What I would do is unplug everything that is plugged into the wall outlets that are affected by this GFI. I would then take an extension cord, plug in a hair drier and go around and blow dry each of the outlets for about 3-4 minutes each, then try to reset the GFI reset button and see if that allowed it to reset and all the outlets to resume normal function. If it didn't, I would remove power from the camper, remove the GFI outlet from the wall and then go to the hardware store and buy a replacement and install it.

To me, it's either working perfectly and tripping because there's moisture in the system of outlets somewhere or it's a faulty GFI and needs to be replaced.

If that still didn't do the trick, I would be looking at the outside outlets and see if they are sealed really well and likely start replacing them as they are the next most likely culprit giving the rain coinciding with this problem arising.

Good Luck in finding the true cause and getting it fixed!
Old 03-20-2019, 05:03 AM   #33

I had to reset my gfi yesterday. It was raining and I pluged in the instapot into the outside receptical and it tripped the bathroom gfi.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #34

Quote:
It has been raining all day....
it could be you just didn't get the reset pushed in all the way . some are tough try and pen or pencil . if that doesn't do it then you'll need a meter also check the breaker in the panel shut it off then on
Old 03-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I wasn't saying that the microwave caused it to pop...

But if that and one of the other many other kitchen things, or any two of them are run at the same time it will blow the bathroom GFI.

Coffee maker, microwave, hair dryer, toaster, electric heater...

Run too many things at once and it will pop!

In my 5'ver that also includes the electric water heater, bathroom, entire kitchen and the entertainment center.

You'll learn over time how much stuff you can run at one time on that circuit.

The problem is...you can't run much at the same time.
Microwave are not on the GFCI circuit or the water heater , just outlets . they have there own breaker
Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #36

Cavie, thanks for the info. It's working, so must have been moisture? If you're in Ft Myers, which campground?
Old 03-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
On the main circuit board breaker, when we trip that main breaker, part of the bedroom, kitchen and bathroom outlets and the sink cabinet doesn't work. When we reset the main breaker the bedroom lights work and the rest doesn't. Am I making any sense?
This is a little confusing.
When you trip the breaker off, do the bedroom lights quit working?
Do any other lights quit working?
Old 03-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #38
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Microwave are not on the GFCI circuit or the water heater , just outlets . they have there own breaker
Not on mine...and many thousands of other campers out there!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Not on mine...and many thousands of other campers out there!
The microwave & water heater is not on the bathroom gfci . same with mine and many other millions of campers . you may have a mis wired one . a 20 amp GFCI could barely handle a microwave hot water heater , all the outlets etc . if it did mine would be trippping all the time as i use the microwave while the waterheater is heating up on ele, while the coffee pot is going etc . afraid your camper is odd it is a thor right
Old 03-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #40
StlClay

GFIC tester

There are very inexpensive GFIC testers available at Walmart or other box stores, less than 10 bucks, that you plug-in and because of the way the lights come on it will tell you if there’s a problem with the GFI or with one of the circuits. I would advise you to unplug everything before I start testing and then plug things in one at a time until you find the culprit

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Closed Thread

Tags
bathroom, roo