Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
Don

Residential Refrigerator Inverter

We have a 2011 Georgetown DS360 which came with a Dometic RM1350 4 door refrigerator. We have been swapping out parts (thermistor, lower control board) to get the correct refrigerator operating temperature with erratic results. I am thinking that the cooling unit may be getting clogged.

So, we are looking to install a residential type refrigerator and have a couple of questions:

The refrigerator weighs about 245 pounds and is installed on a slide. Do I need to consider the weight of a residential type?

The Georgetown has 2 existing house batteries. Will the Ford F53 alternator provide enough voltage to charge the batteries while driving to supply an inverter? Is there an inverter that I can install to provide only the refrigerator 120 v outlet?

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Don & Nancy
Huntley, Illinois
2011George.360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #2

Our F53 with 2 batteries runs our inverter for the residential fridge just fine.

the weight is most certainly a consideration. Also a likely problem will be getting the fridge through the door of the RV. I think it will not fit so you will need to remove the slide out or a window to get the old one out and the new one in.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #3
Don

Thanks Doug for your input. Much appreciated.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #4

There are other options, new compressor style cooling units that are available for your current unit. They come in 120 volt or 12 volt. Depending on your need. 2 - 6volt batteries would be able to power them for roughly 12 hours trips. This does not require the installation of an inverter. Just something to think about The more you know.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
Don

Thanks for some additional ideas. Much appreciated.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:32 PM   #6

I have fixed 16 refrigerators with only one fail using a air powered DA sander without sandpaper it shakes up ammonia when refer sets or just doesn't work quite right . Don't know if this helps or not cheap fix if it works . If you have lost ammonia it is trash or needs rebuilt coil pack .
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
I have fixed 16 refrigerators with only one fail using a air powered DA sander without sandpaper it shakes up ammonia when refer sets or just doesn't work quite right . Don't know if this helps or not cheap fix if it works . If you have lost ammonia it is trash or needs rebuilt coil pack .
I don’t think there’s any ammonia in “a residential type refrigerator”.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:44 PM   #8

If you read post He was talking about absorption ref not working right thought he might try this and his ref might work saving him some money if not he can go on with his plans .
Old 03-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
Don

Doanshop - Thanks for the information. I'll try it and see if it unclogs the absorber coils.

It seems strange as the freezer is working and the refrigerator is erratic. Today, the freezer was zero and the refrigerator was 51. Now, at 4:00 est, the refrigerator is at 38......crazy.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:03 AM   #10

After reading your post again I think your problem may be the sty foam insulation my be water logged I watched a video about this can't find it right now but looking .it freezes up and doesn't let cool move to refrigerator section sorry I didn't read it right before posting .But you can still give it a try good luck .
Old 03-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011George.360 View Post
The Georgetown has 2 existing house batteries. Will the Ford F53 alternator provide enough voltage to charge the batteries while driving to supply an inverter? Is there an inverter that I can install to provide only the refrigerator 120 v outlet?
The inverter side of things isn't super hard but isn't super easy:
https://learntorv.com/inverter-basics/
Old 03-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #12

How RV Refrigerators Work
There are 2 brands of refrigerators commonly found in RVs:

Dometic RV refrigerator
Norcold RV refrigerator
Both operate under the same principles.

This is how an RV refrigerator operates:

A sealed cooling element is heated — either with a gas flame or an electric heating element.
The cooling unit amounts to a series of tubes filled with an ammonia-based liquid — as heat is applied, the fluid circulates through the cooling unit drawing the heat out of the refrigerator.

If The Refrigerator Isn’t Cooling Properly…
When an RV refrigerator starts failing (not cooling as well as it should), it means the fluid is no longer circulating properly through the cooling unit.

The nice thing about RV refrigerators is there are no moving parts. There are no pumps to wear out, and no compressors either. All the work is done simply by heating liquid — like in your coffee pot. When it boils, it perks the coffee. When the ammonia is heated, it circulates.

If the cooling unit develops a leak, you will smell ammonia in a big way. This isn’t a very common occurrence, but if it does happen, you will immediately know where the problem is.

What Happens When An RV Refrigerator Isn’t Used
More often than not, the problem with an RV refrigerator is time combined with lack of use.

As RV refrigerators age, the ammonia liquid can create sediment that settles to the bottom of the cooling unit. This sediment will hinder the ability of the ammonia to circulate properly through the cooling unit. As the sediment builds up, the refrigerator will cool less and less.

A refrigerator that is used once or twice a year over a period of 5 or 6 years is much more likely to plug up than one that is in continual operation. Constant movement keeps any sediment suspended in the fluid — which ultimately prevents any accumulation from occurring. This is when I use the DA sander that has made many of them work better or start working . Back in the 80's my dads refrigerator stopped working he talked to several RV repair men one old timer told him it's a lot of work .But remove refrigerator tape doors closed roll it in grass 10 times then hook it up and it should work .Not wanting to remove it I came up with the idea of using the DA sander and his refrigerator started working then I had to go to his friend camper did the same it started working and the story goes on. This was all started before the Internet
Old 03-19-2021, 02:47 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
If you read post He was talking about absorption ref not working right thought he might try this and his ref might work saving him some money if not he can go on with his plans .
You're right. My bad. I read the title about a Residential Refrigerator and got scraped off my horse by a low hanging branch before the content switch. Sorry.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
How RV Refrigerators Work
There are 2 brands of refrigerators commonly found in RVs:

Dometic RV refrigerator
Norcold RV refrigerator
Both operate under the same principles.

This is how an RV refrigerator operates:

A sealed cooling element is heated — either with a gas flame or an electric heating element.
The cooling unit amounts to a series of tubes filled with an ammonia-based liquid — as heat is applied, the fluid circulates through the cooling unit drawing the heat out of the refrigerator.

If The Refrigerator Isn’t Cooling Properly…
When an RV refrigerator starts failing (not cooling as well as it should), it means the fluid is no longer circulating properly through the cooling unit.

The nice thing about RV refrigerators is there are no moving parts. There are no pumps to wear out, and no compressors either. All the work is done simply by heating liquid — like in your coffee pot. When it boils, it perks the coffee. When the ammonia is heated, it circulates.

If the cooling unit develops a leak, you will smell ammonia in a big way. This isn’t a very common occurrence, but if it does happen, you will immediately know where the problem is.

What Happens When An RV Refrigerator Isn’t Used
More often than not, the problem with an RV refrigerator is time combined with lack of use.

As RV refrigerators age, the ammonia liquid can create sediment that settles to the bottom of the cooling unit. This sediment will hinder the ability of the ammonia to circulate properly through the cooling unit. As the sediment builds up, the refrigerator will cool less and less.

A refrigerator that is used once or twice a year over a period of 5 or 6 years is much more likely to plug up than one that is in continual operation. Constant movement keeps any sediment suspended in the fluid — which ultimately prevents any accumulation from occurring. This is when I use the DA sander that has made many of them work better or start working . Back in the 80's my dads refrigerator stopped working he talked to several RV repair men one old timer told him it's a lot of work .But remove refrigerator tape doors closed roll it in grass 10 times then hook it up and it should work .Not wanting to remove it I came up with the idea of using the DA sander and his refrigerator started working then I had to go to his friend camper did the same it started working and the story goes on. This was all started before the Internet
I almost feel like doing that on our 4 year old as preventative maintenance! But I hear my Dad’s voice loud and clear: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”
Old 03-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
I almost feel like doing that on our 4 year old as preventative maintenance! But I hear my Dad’s voice loud and clear: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

I would just run it every two or three months if you don't use it often
if it's working ok now . If it seams to not cool right I would try it to see if it improves . I tell some people that same saying !
Old 03-24-2021, 03:37 PM   #16

A lot of times when people don't level their RV the gasses or something plugs up and refrigerator will stop working this will make it work again or if it sets to long . All I can say is it has worked for me working on friends refrigerators . Happy Camping !

Tags
inverter, refrigerator