Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #1

Retracting electric Steps

How can I keep my kwickee steps from extending after parking for storage? Step switch power ia off. Auxiliary power disconnected. Steps are in. Then, open the door and there they go. Extended again and it's frustrating me.

Mark
michiganian7412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #2

That's because the steps are fused directly off the battery. It is a safety issue so someone doesn't step out into space. The way to keep the steps in is, with the screen door closed, remove the 25amp power fuse. Another way would be to place a magnet close to the screen door switch (on the door jamb) to fool the steps into thinking the screen door is closed.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #3

I understand the safety concept but when everything is shutdown, closing the door SHOULD retract the steps.

I suppose this storage issue is common based on the lack of responses to the post.

I will try your suggestion, jury-rigging the system with a 'trick' magnet.

Mark
Old 08-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #4

Maybe I misunderstood you. Opening the screen door will always extend the steps no matter the step switch ON or OFF. With the steps switch OFF the steps should always extend and retract upon opening/closing the screen door and stay extended with the step switch ON and batteries not disconnected.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:40 AM   #5

One other thing. What unit do you have and what year is it?
Old 08-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #6

You indicated you have Kwikee steps. I did find you have a 2008 Georgetown and unless you changed out the steps they are most likely Lippert steps. Lippert steps function different than Kwikee. To retract Lippert steps for storage the batteries need to be connected and the step switch ON. When the screen door is closed the steps will retract. You then reach through the screen door slide opening and turn the step switch OFF and disconnect the batteries then close the main door. Or the magnet trick can be employed to keep the steps retracted. If your steps are Kwikee this input is moot.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #7

I had a old magnet which I can move towards the relay which makes it seem the screen door is closed.
I use this at my house for two reasons.
1. When parking near a curb

2. When I'm working on my coach batteries which is located under the steps.

If you have an old microwave it has a very STRONG Ferrite Magnet.
Looks like this.

All I do is slide on the metal side of the steps to get it close to the contact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	238770  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:06 AM   #8

It is hard to understand why an override switch has not been engineered for just such a time. Maybe it could be activated when the door is shut and locked? Just a thought engineers! I want credit for the idea.

Mark
Old 09-12-2020, 06:10 AM   #9

The steps indeed are Kwikee. I posted my idea of a fix in another reply.

Mark
Old 09-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganian7412 View Post
It is hard to understand why an override switch has not been engineered for just such a time. Maybe it could be activated when the door is shut and locked? Just a thought engineers! I want credit for the idea.

Mark
Because not everyone is the brightest bulb.

NOT REAL STORY but can happen.
Sorry honey I forgot to reactivate the steps.
Did you back hurt again falling?
I will call teh ambulance and EMT's and out lawyer this time.
Forest River you will pay for this dumb steps.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganian7412 View Post

Mark
FR is the one that decided to install the steps as they are and maybe due to avoiding lawsuits. There are a couple ways to accomplish what you seek one with a new switch and one relocating a wire but both would require switch actuation prior to opening the door and exiting the coach without the steps extended. The steps would not extend without opening the door and actuating the switch. Of course the new switch may be installed on the exterior of the coach someplace (allowing exit with extended steps) and actuated after door closure keeping steps retracted when again opening door. As wired though, the magnet is the better way.

Tags
electric