Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #41

On table lamps ,if you change the light bulb and there is reverse polarity, the screw cell is now hot.the new now have polarity male plugs to make shure this does not happen
old rv man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 AM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by old rv man View Post
On table lamps ,if you change the light bulb and there is reverse polarity, the screw cell is now hot.the new now have polarity male plugs to make shure this does not happen
Only true if the receptacle and lamp are wired correctly. Really a non-issue as no sane person will stick their finger into the bulb socket.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganjoe View Post
Does a product work if reverse polarity exists? The short answer is yes, but the plug configuration now bypasses safety mechanisms that would normally protect the product from potentially becoming dangerous. What is bypassed is the fuse in the appliance designed for the hot source is now on the neutral side
That part is completely accurate. But fuses never protect appliances.

A surge is a microsecond event that can also blow through a tripped fuse. Fuses take milliseconds or seconds to trip. Multiple surges have long ago done damage before a fuse can even think about tripping.

A fuse is to protect human live (ie from fire) AFTER appliance damage has occurred; due to a surge, or due to a more common reason for failure - manufacturing defects.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Really a non-issue as no sane person will stick their finger into the bulb socket.
Human safety is never about sanity. Humans are so innovative because humans constantly make mistakes. Human safety is about protection even the sanest person from his mistakes. Just another reason why AC electricity has so many redundant protections. Polarity is simply one of so many protections for humans.

BTW, that is why more responsible humans always use a parking brake as well as put the transmission in park. And why responsible humans do not race up to red lights and then heavily apply brakes. Every potential danger always requires additional protection layers.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #45
Mod free 5er

Westom, I guess the older folks (me)were just lucky we lived without all the regulations, etc. Went bare footed, drank from rubber hoses, rode in pickup beds, rode bicycles without 40# of protective gear, played on gravel school yards, ate home prepared sack lunches at school, etc.

Nowadays, we have to have "Big Brother" protect us against everything including ourselves.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #46
Who Dares, Wins

I remember being able to even bring a peanut butter sandwich for school lunch.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #47
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I remember being able to even bring a peanut butter sandwich for school lunch.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
And you actually ate it?????? Shamey all over you!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #48

Quote:
Westom, I guess the older folks (me)were just lucky we lived without all the regulations, etc. Went bare footed, drank from rubber hoses, rode in pickup beds, rode bicycles without 40# of protective gear, played on gravel school yards, ate home prepared sack lunches at school, etc.

Nowadays, we have to have "Big Brother" protect us against everything including ourselves.

And we're still here to talk about it. It was much more fun "in the day".
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #49

Quote:
Westom, I guess the older folks (me)were just lucky we lived without all the regulations, etc. Went bare footed, drank from rubber hoses, rode in pickup beds, rode bicycles without 40# of protective gear,
Kids can no longer walk the quarter mile from bus to home. The bus stop is chocked with SUVs waiting for them. In 5th grade, we would take trains into NYC or Chicago for the day - just us - no parents.

Safety is one thing. Fear created by ignorance is another. To many replace knowledge (logical thought) with fear (emotions).
Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
So I get to camp, plug my surge guard into the pedestal, and it comes up "reverse polarity," so of course, it won't allow the power to turn on. The outlet on the other side is the same way, but the one at the next site the other way is OK. So will this damage my camper if I plug in without the surge guard? Is it a matter if hot and neutral being switched, and what can happen if it's used in that condition? TIA...
From post #1:

There has been a lot of educational info passed along here. Taranwanderer, The choice will be yours. Many people camped for years before surge protection and never had many bad experiences. Maybe a shock when touching metal on a wall or door. I, for one, know that there are consequences to appliances and such that I won't do it. There are other campsites or other campgrounds that I can go to and plug into safely.

Taranwanderer, I hope you got your question answered.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #51

Electrical power is created by the generator... wherever that is. It requires a circuit. In electrical transmission, half of the circuit is the ground you stand on. There is one wire feeding the transformer that steps the voltage down to the 120VAC that we use to power our trailers. At each pole there is a wire running from the neutral, down the pole, to a coil of copper wire on the bottom of the pole... completing the circuit with Mother Earth.

So, when we correctly wire our outlets, we are using switches and breakers to control the one half of the circuit that provides the power from the generator. If wired backwards, we are interrupting the circuit, but we are controlling the return, not the feed. This is why it's important for your safety. If wired wrong, things that should not be, are energized because there is still a physical connection to the generator's power. If wired correctly, the switch, or breaker, or whatever has the power isolated from that point on. While the generator is grounded on one side... it will not push power through the entire Earth specifically to your trailer, or anywhere else. The capacitance of the Earth is huge and that's how the circuit is completed... but that's a deep subject, that doesn't need to be discussed here, especially by such a shallow mind as mine.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #52

As I stated before about finding only one reverse polarity pedestal on last outing,I told the girl on the check-in desk and she sent the "handy man" out to fix. Now having worked in a electrical utility for 30 years I MIGHT have done what this guy did,( bare handed and not tripping the breaker at the feed ,there was no breaker at the pedestal) reversed the wires on the receptacle, not a big deal if you know what you are doing. I asked him if he did this all the time and he said "No I have never done one before and can you tell me how to do it!!" and he wasn't kidding!!!!! We moved to another site!!!!
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #53

To all who may be concerned about this beat to death subject. May want to do search of thread "Power Cord". This was my very first question on FRF. Got some very good answers concerning this issue. We have now evolved into a contest to see who can out dazzle the others with all kinds of over blown information and jargon that really doesn't help the situation. The reality is, as has been stated by several members, reverse polarity is caused by the reversal of the hot (black wire) & the white (neutral) wire. It is very simple to understand that this is incorrect wiring. Yes we got away with it for years, but we should know better by now. Besides, it is such an easy fix. Ya'll do with it as you will, & I will do what I will. Good luck & safe camping to all.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #54

Here to offer my apologies to all I may have offended with some of my posts on this thread. While I do still believe that reverse polarity is a real situation, I am now starting to understand a little better some of the other opinions & ideas. I guess I'm just a little too opinionated for my own good. I do value all of your advise & knowledge. So if ya'll would please, forgive an old stubborn hardhead for yet another mistake.
Much to all & keep the advise coming; I obviously need all the help I can get.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #55

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Don't beat yourself up, Papa GLS.....Reverse polarity IS a problem....otherwise,,,the words reverse polarity wouldn't exist. My fuses blew in my Jayco when I plugged into reverse polarity,,,so there IS a reason that it should be corrected. I was in the AC business for 40 years and worked with a great deal of electricity. If it violates the National Electric Code,,,,,there's a reason,,,,so don't feel bad, Papa.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #56

Thanks Grampa Jim
Not beating myself up over reverse polarity. Worked in electrical industry for 38 years & I know it is real. But I am disappointed in myself for the way I reacted to others opinions as it was totally uncalled for.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #57

You didn't offend ME and I didn't read anything that could have been interpreted as offensive. Time to sit around the campfire with a glass of wine if you ask me.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #58

Make mine coffee & thanks again.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Thanks Grampa Jim
Not beating myself up over reverse polarity. Worked in electrical industry for 38 years & I know it is real. But I am disappointed in myself for the way I reacted to others opinions as it was totally uncalled for.
I've been sitting here crying ever since the post on the 25th.

Now what was it that you said that was so bad?

I've been chewed out before by some of the best here(on FRF) and I'm still truckin'!

Don't beat yourself up over what you said(I really don't remember). But it takes a man to admit when he wronged somebody.

Usually after a woman tells him that he did!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:50 PM   #60

Timex,,,,,I've got a wife and 6 daughters.......I know when I'm wrong. I've been trained well.